Loy Krathong celebrations postponed

webfact

You know what a great comment would be? "What a great sacrifice the Thai people are doing to honor this man. This must have been a great person."

But the majority of comments are about holiday schedules and know-it-all political trivialities.

• Like 1

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You know what a great comment would be? "What a great sacrifice the Thai people are doing to honor this man. This must have been a great person."

But the majority of comments are about holiday schedules and know-it-all political trivialities.

The greatest sacrifice would be to abstain. Abstain from buying and showing off material items. Abstain from harming others or yourself, etc.

If you can do this for a week, I don't know, you win a rake or something.

• Like 2

Nobody will take any notice locally and I think celebrations will go on as planned. I was surprised that an annual wat fair went ahead this week at Samut Phra Chedi, samut Prakan, concerts as well as likay, cinema and even beer on sale inside the wat. There were about 20k people there last night, nobody seems to give a toss, maybe it's just Bangkok that thinks it can tell the whole country what to do?

Edited by sms747
  • Like 2

I live in Chiang Mai and I bet local officials, hotel operators, and travel agencies are freaking out right now! Granted it may be too late for many tourists to cancel their plans to be here for Loy Krathong but I imagine the number and intensity of complaints will go up substantially, especially from Chinese tourists and their tour directors!

• Like 2

I live in Chiang Mai and I bet local officials, hotel operators, and travel agencies are freaking out right now! Granted it may be too late for many tourists to cancel their plans to be here for Loy Krathong but I imagine the number and intensity of complaints will go up substantially, especially from Chinese tourists and their tour directors!

Maybe they'll spread the word when they get back and help decrease the numbers flocking here.

The people will honor this humble monk in whatever way they deem fit, You think a sacraficial honor is in order? up to you. If you are not skeptical of the wisdom of tat proclamations by this point, you aren't paying attention.

A bit like postponing Christmas in the UK if the Archbishop of Canterbury died in December

Your analogy is off.

Celebrating Carnival or Mardi Gras after the death of a pope in the old days would be closer to the present situation.

In any event, it's their business, not ours.

Keep in mind...this is not our country and not our customs/religion. Thailand does not need to pander to your vacation schedule. Obviously, a great man died, in their eyes, and they need to do something extraordinary to mark his passing. It is admirable but also a bit "quaint". The world needs more "traditions" and cultural flare. I wish the selfish posters here would just ..<deleted>..if you know what an acronym is.

What a funny post, made my day. I am glad you consider that you mix with the kind of people that know what an acronym is and you needed to point out to the rest of us that they exist, yet all along you don't have a clue yourself what one is. Where do I send the bill to get the coffee cleaned off my keyboard? What you gave us was an FLA, which is itself a TLA wink.png

Edited by GentlemanJim

Or just maybe, given the entire purpose of Loy Krathong anyway, this could have been made a very special event to honour the passing of the Supreme Patriarch.

Or maybe, just maybe, respect how the Thais run their own religion and stop complaining about how it's inconvenient for you. As it's the least of their worries.

I recommend you read my post again.

The local Thais I know all intend celebrating Loy Krathong on the full moon and I for one will be fascinated to see how they incorporate their feelings for the Supreme Patriarch into the occasion. The Thai people have a marvelous instinct for these situations.

The TAT "Loy Krathong" will probably just be a show for a few tourists, thereby reinforcing the Thai notion that tourists haven't a clue.

• Like 2

Or just maybe, given the entire purpose of Loy Krathong anyway, this could have been made a very special event to honour the passing of the Supreme Patriarch.

Or maybe, just maybe, respect how the Thais run their own religion and stop complaining about how it's inconvenient for you. As it's the least of their worries.

I for one will be fascinated to see how they incorporate their feelings for the Supreme Patriarch into the occasion.

With lots of alcohol and fireworks as per usual.

• Like 2

Well, isnt it a little like two Songkrans? To "allow" the hospitality workers in Pattaya they've introduced "Wan Lay" on 18/19th April.
I bet that there will be plenty of Thais following the full moon rather than TAT's "decision" to move a festival date for which they are neither authorized nor competent. What will they tell the booth visitors at the World Travel Market in London early November?

On that note Thais might be indeed better off by following the full moon rather than the recommendations and decisions of their government they elected so freely. I - for one - dont care, I'm a guest here but isn't it mind boggling all the while! blink.png

Nobody will take any notice locally and I think celebrations will go on as planned. I was surprised that an annual wat fair went ahead this week at Samut Phra Chedi, samut Prakan, concerts as well as likay, cinema and even beer on sale inside the wat. There were about 20k people there last night, nobody seems to give a toss, maybe it's just Bangkok that thinks it can tell the whole country what to do?

Thanks for sharing this. Booked and planned trip to Chiang Mai already for Loy Khratong... What about the parade etc? I dont think TAT can change anything ... Just totally confusing everyone...

Exactly, well said.

The thing is it's not inconvenient for any of those who have commented so far, if it was they'd have said so. Unfortunately a lot of posters here do actually think that they have some kind of responsibility to run a country that is not theirs and that organisations such as TAT do, or should, observe what is said on this insignificant (to them) website

• Like 2

I bet, the TAT doesn't care at all about all these tourists, who come to joy Loykratong.

They never really cared. I would like to recomment to all these tourists, to visit another country there are many nice places out there, without all this cheating on tourists.

Edited by SuwadeeS

TAT may like to explain this when they attend the promo event in London, "oh sorry we have just cancelled one of our biggest festivals, never mind"..

They haven't, it has been postponed due to the death of someone held in the highest esteem by most of the population and any reasonable person would understand that.

• Like 1

Exactly, well said.

The thing is it's not inconvenient for any of those who have commented so far, if it was they'd have said so. Unfortunately a lot of posters here do actually think that they have some kind of responsibility to run a country that is not theirs and that organisations such as TAT do, or should, observe what is said on this insignificant (to them) website

I think most people are questioning what authority TAT has to postpone or cancel festivals. I don't think most care about Loy Krathong anyway. What will be next the Thai Egg Board postponing a festival, not much difference between the two except one sell eggs and the other tourism.

• Like 1

Tourism agency postpones Loy Krathong as Thais mourn death of Supreme Patriarch
By English News

13829275837378.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 28 – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will postpone the public celebrations and associated events of the annual Loy Krathong festival, scheduled for November 17, due to Thailand’s month of mourning in respect of His Holiness Supreme Patriarch who passed away on Thursday.

TAT deputy governor Thawatchai Arunyik said a new date for the festival, one of the major attractions for foreign tourists, will be announced later.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) said it would hold the traditional festival as planned but entertainment activities would be called off.

The BMA’s main venues for the Loy Krathong festival are on the banks of the Chao Phraya River under the Rama VIII Bridge and at 28 public parks in the capital.

Manit Techa-apichoke, BMA deputy permanent secretary, said City Hall decided to go ahead with the festival minus entertainment activities to facilitate the private sector and travel agencies which have bookings from tourists from around the world who are coming to join the festival.

BMA officials must make a final decision before announcing the dates today, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-28

Exactly, well said.

To the people of Thailand TAT has announced that the near most important festival you have been planning for the past year has been cancelled. Do you hear cancelled and be told.

My respects for the passing S.P.

Since when has the Tourism Authority been in charge of cultural events and annual festivals? It is a little like the Australian Tourism Commission saying we will postpone the Melbourne Cup or Easter.

Just how much power and what size stick do TAT wield in Thailand, geez they are even setting up their own private court and judicial system in the airport.

So what is the tourism authority going to do for those tourists that booked their holidays 12 months ago specifically to witness Loy Krathong or are tourists not really party of the tourism authorities agenda.

More to the point, perhaps, since when has a foreigner been in a position to condemn a government appointed body for following normal protocol in the event of the death of some one as important to their country as this person was?

• Like 1

Maybe they'll spread the word when they get back and help decrease the numbers flocking here.

What ! ! theres flocking going one here ?????