Loy Krathong celebrations postponed

webfact

Loy Krathong celebrations postponed

lk.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand has announced that it will postpone its annual celebrations for the Loy Krathong festival in honor of the late Supreme Patriarch.

The news comes following an announcement from Thawatchai Arunyik, TAT deputy governor for domestic marketing, who said that festivities will be suspended as the country is in mourning.

The festival was due to take place on November 17th, however, the government recently announced an extension to the mourning period to November 23rd.

It is planned that the Loy Krathong festivities, which are normally organized in Bangkok and throughout all other major destinations in Thailand, will be discussed once the mourning period is finished.

tvn.png
-- 2013-10-28

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm assuming they're referring to officially organised events. I'm also guessing that the regular Loy Krathong with ordinary people doing their thing riverside etc will go ahead on 17th.

Wonder if TAT can tell us how many tourists come to see Loy Kratong and are pissed that so many things are affected?

I'm with you on that. The dates for Loy Krathong are normally published quite late in the day anyway - this will only add to the confusion.

Far be it from me to question the decision but apparently the Loy Krathong festival is based on a Brahman festival and was adapted by the Thais to honour the Buddhas cremated relic/s once they had adopted Buddhism.Held at the same time in the North the Yi Ping Festival is a time to make merit.

Surely both ceremonies are suitable occasions to be held during the mourning period?

• Like 2

The dates for Loy Krathong are normally published quite late in the day anyway - this will only add to the confusion.

Loy Krathong is honoured on the evening of the full moon of the 12th month of the Thai lunar calendar. It is not a "published date". Perhaps they can move the full moon?

Exactly.

There will now be two Loy Krathongs this year. The real one on the full moon and an official one sometime later. A bit like the Queen's birthday in the UK.

• Like 2

It is only symbolic, just like the 30 day no music, no nightlife , no drinking.... symbolicly the land is in mourning, but life continues unchanged, same with a lunar calander observence, it has symbolicly been changed, reality remains unchanged.

• Like 1

Or just maybe, given the entire purpose of Loy Krathong anyway, this could have been made a very special event to honour the passing of the Supreme Patriarch.

Or maybe, just maybe, respect how the Thais run their own religion and stop complaining about how it's inconvenient for you. As it's the least of their worries.

Yea, it's not 'the Thais' running anything. It's a small group of cretins making poor decisions that 'they' deem fit. They're not taking 'the Thais' feelings into account one bit. Government knows best.

Or just maybe, given the entire purpose of Loy Krathong anyway, this could have been made a very special event to honour the passing of the Supreme Patriarch.

Or maybe, just maybe, respect how the Thais run their own religion and stop complaining about how it's inconvenient for you. As it's the least of their worries.

Yeah, right!

I will do so, as soon as Thais respect their own religion!

...aaaaawwww, look...flying pigs!

• Like 2

The dates for Loy Krathong are normally published quite late in the day anyway - this will only add to the confusion.

Loy Krathong is honoured on the evening of the full moon of the 12th month of the Thai lunar calendar. It is not a "published date". Perhaps they can move the full moon?

Thank you Sherlock. I am aware of the the way the date is arrived at. I am talking about the "official" date on which the festival is held on which is "published" on TAT web sites. For example, the official date for Loy Krathong this year is 17th November 2013 (however if you look at the special "Loikrathong" link they provide it turns out to be for 2012 dates) http://www.tatnews.org/eventscalendar/41-event/43-loi-krathong-festival

Unlike you, the average tourist who does not live in Thailand does not have an encyclopedic knowledge of the Thai Lunar Calendar and has to wait until the "official" date is published on the TAT websites. This date is published quite late in the day.