Loy Krathong celebrations postponed

webfact

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TAT may like to explain this when they attend the promo event in London, "oh sorry we have just cancelled one of our biggest festivals, never mind"..

They haven't, it has been postponed due to the death of someone held in the highest esteem by most of the population and any reasonable person would understand that.

Many reasonable Thais didn't know about the passing, The passing should and is high profile, But TAT ?? who are they to announce the cancellation, Thai people are saddened more by the cancellation than the passing, It is one thing they plan and long to come around every year, it has an impact on tourism as tickets have been bought.

It has little to do with many westerners living here unless they have love ones at home.

Or maybe, just maybe, respect how the Thais run their own religion and stop complaining about how it's inconvenient for you. As it's the least of their worries.

You're just being disagreeable, right? There is no outcry by Thais about "running their own religion"... this just more stupidity by TAT.

Neither is there any outcry by Thai people about this festival being postponed. The only outcry seems to be some stupidity from some TV members.

Since when has the Tourism Authority been in charge of cultural events and annual festivals? It is a little like the Australian Tourism Commission saying we will postpone the Melbourne Cup or Easter.

Just how much power and what size stick do TAT wield in Thailand, geez they are even setting up their own private court and judicial system in the airport.

So what is the tourism authority going to do for those tourists that booked their holidays 12 months ago specifically to witness Loy Krathong or are tourists not really party of the tourism authorities agenda.

More to the point, perhaps, since when has a foreigner been in a position to condemn a government appointed body for following normal protocol in the event of the death of some one as important to their country as this person was?

Yeah...ahm...it is called "criticism" and performed under "freedom of speech" or "freedom of expression" on an international internet- forum.

Go figure!

You know what a great comment would be? "What a great sacrifice the Thai people are doing to honor this man. This must have been a great person."

But the majority of comments are about holiday schedules and know-it-all political trivialities.

The people will honor this humble monk in whatever way they deem fit, You think a sacraficial honor is in order? up to you. If you are not skeptical of the wisdom of tat proclamations by this point, you aren't paying attention.

What I think is in order for the Thais to do, is out of the picture - as it would be based on prejudice, lack of deep insights and in overall terms be insignificant. The same counts for most of us here.

What I think is in order for us to do, is to act more respectfully and to stop nagging about every little news that appears on this forum as if we're some kind of colonial masters that people have to listen to.

The article says TAT have cancelled it's celebrations, Since when does TAT control Thai festivals?

Equally why do politicians decide how long a religious mourning period should last? Shouldn't that is up to the religious leaders?

It's not as if any politicians respect most of the basic Buddhist tenets anyway....... no stealing, no lying, no drinking, no chasing women and no killing.... so they should be the last people to get involved.

If you don't play the game you shouldn't make the rules.

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

To the people of Thailand TAT has announced that the near most important festival you have been planning for the past year has been cancelled. Do you hear cancelled and be told.

My respects for the passing S.P.

to cancel - to postpone

big difference

• Like 1

Since when has the Tourism Authority been in charge of cultural events and annual festivals? It is a little like the Australian Tourism Commission saying we will postpone the Melbourne Cup or Easter.

Just how much power and what size stick do TAT wield in Thailand, geez they are even setting up their own private court and judicial system in the airport.

So what is the tourism authority going to do for those tourists that booked their holidays 12 months ago specifically to witness Loy Krathong or are tourists not really party of the tourism authorities agenda.

More to the point, perhaps, since when has a foreigner been in a position to condemn a government appointed body for following normal protocol in the event of the death of some one as important to their country as this person was?

Yeah...ahm...it is called "criticism" and performed under "freedom of speech" or "freedom of expression" on an international internet- forum.

Go figure!

If the only thing in life left is constant criticism of others, woah, I don't want to see the day you discover the mirror

I live in Chiang Mai and I bet local officials, hotel operators, and travel agencies are freaking out right now! Granted it may be too late for many tourists to cancel their plans to be here for Loy Krathong but I imagine the number and intensity of complaints will go up substantially, especially from Chinese tourists and their tour directors!

Maybe they'll spread the word when they get back and help decrease the numbers flocking here.

For once I agree with you!

Yeah, right!

I will do so, as soon as Thais respect their own religion!

...aaaaawwww, look...flying pigs!

How is the Thai's respect of their own beliefs any of our business?

It starts being my business, when they shove their believe down my throat, with not AT ALL observing it themselves...a bit, at least.

But that might not be too understandable for you, as you seem to simply love everything Thais do, regardless and without the slightest criticism.

Go figure!

If the only thing in life left is constant criticism of others, woah, I don't want to see the day you discover the mirror

...aha!

Exactly, well said.

The thing is it's not inconvenient for any of those who have commented so far, if it was they'd have said so. Unfortunately a lot of posters here do actually think that they have some kind of responsibility to run a country that is not theirs and that organisations such as TAT do, or should, observe what is said on this insignificant (to them) websiteTo the people of Thailand TAT has announced that the near most important festival you have been planning for the past year has been cancelled. Do you hear cancelled and be told.

My respects for the passing S.P.

Was that comment addressed to me?

"Do you hear cancelled and be told", the festival has been postponed, not cancelled, and, for the record, you are the last person I will be told anything by.

The way I see it, TaT has schedualed an "afterparty" for later.... (date to be announced)... The real lunar Yi Peng fest will go on only without all the noisy stages ...... later another holiday with all the music and the added umph of the official end of mourning wow. w00t.gif

Edited by daoyai

Yeah, right!

I will do so, as soon as Thais respect their own religion!

...aaaaawwww, look...flying pigs!

How is the Thai's respect of their own beliefs any of our business?

It starts being my business, when they shove their believe down my throat, with not AT ALL observing it themselves...a bit, at least.

But that might not be too understandable for you, as you seem to simply love everything Thais do, regardless and without the slightest criticism.

I'm glad you agree with me then that the Thai's beliefs are their business, not ours on here.

There are many things that in Thailand that I do not agree with but I don't believe that my opinions ever justify Thai bashing. Neither do I understand why you seem to have an issue with my love (or otherwise) of everything Thais do. That again would be my business, not yours.

Keep in mind...this is not our country and not our customs/religion. Thailand does not need to pander to your vacation schedule. Obviously, a great man died, in their eyes, and they need to do something extraordinary to mark his passing. It is admirable but also a bit "quaint". The world needs more "traditions" and cultural flare. I wish the selfish posters here would just ..<deleted>..if you know what an acronym is.

Laser, sonar, and scuba are acronyms, i.e., words made from the intial letters/parts of other words in a phrase.

<deleted> is not an acronym.

fine... thanks for the education. I will be looking hard for your errors in grammar in the future as well.....

does not change the context in the least, and you are pretty much off topic.tongue.png

Or maybe, just maybe, respect how the Thais run their own religion and stop complaining about how it's inconvenient for you. As it's the least of their worries.

You're just being disagreeable, right? There is no outcry by Thais about "running their own religion"... this just more stupidity by TAT.

Neither is there any outcry by Thai people about this festival being postponed. The only outcry seems to be some stupidity from some TV members.

Really, I have heard quite a few pissed off Thais who will be losing money from no concerts, singers, people who sell stuff on stalls, mali sellers and the like. They really could not care less about an old monk dying, really, and I don't blame them as some people live on a knife edge.

The news comes following an announcement from Thawatchai Arunyik, TAT deputy governor for domestic marketing, who said that festivities will be suspended as the country is in mourning. 20x20xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.s-RG4kPbeM. width=20 alt=blink.png>

Really ??

I'm not. Never met the bloke.

Wonder if TAT can tell us how many tourists come to see Loy Kratong and are pissed that so many things are affected?

A load of drunks could run TAT better, and at a fraction of it's billions it receives. The plug will soon have to be pulled on this body or the whole job lot will sink. Tourist figures are c#ap entry figures are correct. get real you overpaid click, Help the tourist not keep looking for the impossible.

Fine sentiments however in the land of Tat for tit the purpose and cashflows are to do with big jobs for big nobs little jobs for their mia nois and cronies,calumnies hand in glove with big tourist ops who still work on fleece em and they'll still come back as you still get more sleaze,ease,siamese for your buck

If you think there is any shame or accountibility just read old post here the press or speak to anyone local or foreign who has conduced business.

LK as an alien non religeous fiesta is no more significant than colubus day or guy Fawkes indeed hardly observed in muslim and hill tribe areas.

Like Fathers day and St Valentines it has been milked for the duped dumb.

While all for it and a truly spectacular sight here tourists could float acoke can with candle and few fronds down any sewer at home fr the same end.

The shoppers,mongers,sun and sin seekers wont be put off the unwashed eurotrash will mate date and puke at Had Rin all oblivious to the deeased.

Dual pricing as usual all is fine in the best of all possible sewers

• Like 1

I hope everyone gets the memo and doesn't put their Krathong in water on the wrong day. \sarc Why do I have the feeling that most Thai people will celebrate the holiday when it is normally celebrated: 'Loi Krathong takes place on the evening of the full moon of the 12th month in the traditional and they do this all evening on the 12th month of the Thai lunar calendar. In the western calendar this usually falls in November'. from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loi_Krathong

It really doesn't work except on a full moon.

• Like 1