Loy Krathong celebrations postponed

webfact

Or just maybe, given the entire purpose of Loy Krathong anyway, this could have been made a very special event to honour the passing of the Supreme Patriarch.

Or maybe, just maybe, respect how the Thais run their own religion and stop complaining about how it's inconvenient for you. As it's the least of their worries.

This date change is not by the Thais but by bureaucrats in the TAT. You're funny to think they are one and the same.

• Like 2

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I live in Chiang Mai and I bet local officials, hotel operators, and travel agencies are freaking out right now! Granted it may be too late for many tourists to cancel their plans to be here for Loy Krathong but I imagine the number and intensity of complaints will go up substantially, especially from Chinese tourists and their tour directors!

I'll bet you anything that on the originally scheduled day, Nov 17, CM will be rockin' Loy Krathong, same as it ever was. If the Supreme Patriarch could talk right now (no disrespect intended here) he'd probably tell us all to go for it.

When I first got here, I went for a blessing from a very old monk. He shook the water whisk at me, and said, in English, with a big grin on his face, "Have a good time in Thailand!" Word, baby!

These monks aren't known as omniscient for nothing. wink.png

Maybe you should have hung around a bit longer. He might have offered you a good deal on a luxury car too!

Yeah, right!

I will do so, as soon as Thais respect their own religion!

...aaaaawwww, look...flying pigs!

How is the Thai's respect of their own beliefs any of our business?

It starts being my business, when they shove their believe down my throat, with not AT ALL observing it themselves...a bit, at least.

But that might not be too understandable for you, as you seem to simply love everything Thais do, regardless and without the slightest criticism.

I'm glad you agree with me then that the Thai's beliefs are their business, not ours on here.

There are many things that in Thailand that I do not agree with but I don't believe that my opinions ever justify Thai bashing. Neither do I understand why you seem to have an issue with my love (or otherwise) of everything Thais do. That again would be my business, not yours.

Take a biiiiiig spoonful of your own medicine, will ya'?!

Why is it your business if I criticize Thais and their way of life (i.g. Thai bashing, in your world)?!

• Like 1

Keep in mind...this is not our country and not our customs/religion. Thailand does not need to pander to your vacation schedule. Obviously, a great man died, in their eyes, and they need to do something extraordinary to mark his passing. It is admirable but also a bit "quaint". The world needs more "traditions" and cultural flare. I wish the selfish posters here would just ..<deleted>..if you know what an acronym is.

'Keep in mind...this is not our country and not our customs/religion' 'Thailand does not need to pander to your vacation schedule'

The Thai government won't let me forget that this is not my country but you are wrong when you say it is not my religion or customs. No one can prevent another from adopting any religion or custom. TAT is all about pandering to tourists because tourism is 6.7% of GDP.

'Obviously, a great man died, in their eyes, and they need to do something extraordinary to mark his passing'

Are you breaking your own rules and telling Thais they need to do something? Obviously, he was a great man IN YOUR OPINION but the World doesn't stop and anyway he is probably reincarnated already.

'The world needs more "traditions" ;

I agree so why is TAT changing the tradition of holding Loy Krathong on the full moon of the 12th month of he lunar calendar?

'I wish the selfish posters here would just ..<deleted>..if you know what an acronym is.'

I know what an acronym is but what is a <deleted>?

• Like 1

You know what a great comment would be? "What a great sacrifice the Thai people are doing to honor this man. This must have been a great person."

But the majority of comments are about holiday schedules and know-it-all political trivialities.

You know what else would be great? if you would just make your comment without telling everyone else what to post.

• Like 2

Or maybe, just maybe, respect how the Thais run their own religion and stop complaining about how it's inconvenient for you. As it's the least of their worries.

You're just being disagreeable, right? There is no outcry by Thais about "running their own religion"... this just more stupidity by TAT.

Neither is there any outcry by Thai people about this festival being postponed. The only outcry seems to be some stupidity from some TV members.

I bet you have just loads of friends, You really know how to get people on your side. Why, you even know the unknowable which 'what Thai people think'

• Like 2

Guys please show some respect for the culture in this Great country we have chosen to live as visitors, & guests of the king & nation. we complain enough about foreigners in UK. Remember your manners & show some respect also to the governor.

Remember if we don't like it we have the option go home. Embrace the culture or you will miss out for sure.

• Like 2

Since when has the Tourism Authority been in charge of cultural events and annual festivals? It is a little like the Australian Tourism Commission saying we will postpone the Melbourne Cup or Easter.

Just how much power and what size stick do TAT wield in Thailand, geez they are even setting up their own private court and judicial system in the airport.

So what is the tourism authority going to do for those tourists that booked their holidays 12 months ago specifically to witness Loy Krathong or are tourists not really party of the tourism authorities agenda.

More to the point, perhaps, since when has a foreigner been in a position to condemn a government appointed body for following normal protocol in the event of the death of some one as important to their country as this person was?

Yeah...ahm...it is called "criticism" and performed under "freedom of speech" or "freedom of expression" on an international internet- forum.

Go figure!

If the only thing in life left is constant criticism of others, woah, I don't want to see the day you discover the mirror

Said by someone who has been avoiding mirrors all his life.

Guys please show some respect for the culture in this Great country we have chosen to live as visitors, & guests of the king & nation. we complain enough about foreigners in UK. Remember your manners & show some respect also to the governor.

Remember if we don't like it we have the option go home. Embrace the culture or you will miss out for sure.

Surely the point is 'they' are stopping people from embracing the culture, this is just another exercise in people control, nothing to do with culture.

• Like 1

Or just maybe, given the entire purpose of Loy Krathong anyway, this could have been made a very special event to honour the passing of the Supreme Patriarch.

You really have a problem. People on this site a merely stating facts. I guess as far as you are concerned Thais do no wrong. Well l am sorry because a very large % of Thais agree with the comments of many farangs on this site. They see and are disgusted with some of the things that happen in their country

• Like 1

If the festival has been "postponed" because Thais are mourning,. Can someone tell me where, cos round here life goes on as usual. No obvious black clothes, just everyday life. My wife is certainly not aware of the postponement.

ps as the date is set by a natural event, how can TAT postpone it? It's either on or it's off.

• Like 2

As someone else already said: I get reminded almost every day, that I am a guest.

Although: how many of your "guests" pay for entering your home, get send out and pay for coming back in, pay for using your toilet and get told by you, what to say or better not say?!

The Governor will see not more respect from me as any other politician: if he does something good and great- he deserves my respect.

If he doesnt...I don't!

Yeah...like it or go home!

Haven't heard that for ...wow...since...oh...5 minutes ago!

• Like 2

My mrs says they will celebrate LK it's just the concerts that will not be on, or will, as the case may be and the confusion gets worse as the date draws near! I'd have a lot more respect for the culture if I did not see these monks out everyday in shopping centres, and even in Banks. Did the patriarch ever speak out against religious mis doings, corrupt monks, the selling of 'magic' amulets, fortune telling and the like? I don't think he did. Thai Buddhism sadly does not merit much respect any more.

• Like 2

A bit like postponing Christmas in the UK if the Archbishop of Canterbury died in December

Well the pope could postpone Christmas, because he is direct connected with god and can't do wrong.

Well, this Thai patriarch isn't exactly the pope either. The comparison to the Archbishop is about right.

I'd say the dalai lama could be compared to the pope.

The dates for Loy Krathong are normally published quite late in the day anyway - this will only add to the confusion.

Loy Krathong is honoured on the evening of the full moon of the 12th month of the Thai lunar calendar. It is not a "published date". Perhaps they can move the full moon?

Exactly.

There will now be two Loy Krathongs this year. The real one on the full moon and an official one sometime later. A bit like the Queen's birthday in the UK.

A bit like Christians celebrating the birth of Christ in December to counteract the Pa en solstice celebrations? I believe he was born in July!

• Like 1

You know what a great comment would be? "What a great sacrifice the Thai people are doing to honor this man. This must have been a great person."

But the majority of comments are about holiday schedules and know-it-all political trivialities.

The Thai people are not making any sacrifices. This is being forced on them by a government agency. My Thai friends don't really care who died; they just want 'sanook'.

Sacrifice LOL! starry eyed much?

Your friends represent the whole country?

The Thai people are not making any sacrifices. This is being forced on them by a government agency. My Thai friends don't really care who died; they just want 'sanook'.

If that's also the only thing you carried away from my post, well good luck to you :-)

Let's bash on each others heads, constantly, and ridicule and criticize everything.

Let's destroy what we came here for, by being cynical and destructive in everything we hear.

Let's just do that. Because back at home people don't do it enough already.

Your friends represent the whole country?
This government didn't get 50% of the vote but represent the whole country

If that's also the only thing you carried away from my post, well good luck to you :-)

Let's bash on each others heads, constantly, and ridicule and criticize everything.

Let's destroy what we came here for, by being cynical and destructive in everything we hear.

Let's just do that. Because back at home people don't do it enough already.

You should really be either more like the "dude" in your avatar...or get off the dope!

We destroy what we came here for?

I didn't come here for some guys in suites, telling me (and others) what to do and what to think and when to do and think it!

I must have missed the memo, that told me, that TAT (this stands for the TOURISM AUTHORITY of THAILAND)is in charge of calling annual festivals off or postponing them, because some high- ranked guy in that office thinks, it is the right thing to do!

By the way: Loi Krathong is a beautiful, happy and peaceful festival (well...as peaceful as it gets in Thailand) and I have no idea, why the passing of a guy who officially believes that he is now either a) reborn or B) in a place called Nirvana-which should be quiet a happy place- should be mourned by everyone.

But sure you have a good explanation for that?!

"...because it is Thai and therefore good by definition"?