whats the deal with new bike prices?

BT444

there are heavy import taxes in Thailand which is my best guess on why they are so expensive. there are new and used bike shops all around. below is a link with a list of places in Bangkok. If you know what your looking for you can call up and ask instead of trotting all around the city.

http://bicyclethailand.com/bike-stores/

when you do settle on a bike let me know if you want to go out for a ride thumbsup.gif

it's hard to figure out the logic of bike prices in Thailand. Certain brands, such as Trek, seem to cost about the same as in the US and Canada. Some brands cost a lot more, such as Cannondale. And some are cheaper, such as Bianchi. All are made outside of Thailand and yet comparative pricing between them is much different here than elsewhere.

I've just ordered a Trek Superfly 8 29er hardtail from Probike in Bangkok, price for the bike in the UK £1500 price here THB 53000 about so about £440 cheaper than the UK, only problem they don't stock(xl) 21.5" frame so got to wait a month before its delivered from the states.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've just ordered a Trek Superfly 8 29er hardtail from Probike in Bangkok, price for the bike in the UK £1500 price here THB 53000 about so about £440 cheaper than the UK, only problem they don't stock(xl) 21.5" frame so got to wait a month before its delivered from the states.

That sounds like a pretty good deal. That bike has a MSRP of US$2360 (about 73,000 baht) in the States. Was that price the result of bargaining with Probike or was that the price that they marked the bike with?

Edited by AngelsLariat

Didn't bargain, they told me the the retail price in Thailand was a bit less than the RRP in the U.S then gave me 15% discount, The fella I spoke to was Jacky all done over the phone and deposit paid by internet, very proffessional, can't wait for the bike to turn !! :)

Didn't bargain, they told me the the retail price in Thailand was a bit less than the RRP in the U.S then gave me 15% discount, The fella I spoke to was Jacky all done over the phone and deposit paid by internet, very proffessional, can't wait for the bike to turn !! smile.png

Good discounts off RRP can often be gotten on Treks in the US too, particularly if you buy during the winter months, so maybe RRP isn't that good of a barometer. But it's good to know that Probike gives prices like that, makes Treks.sound like an attractive option.

I miss quoted on the price after discount, it was actually THB 57275 not THB 53000, I just checked my emails just to reconfirm, its still a bloody good price though!!!

I think Trek may be the answer in Thailand, lifetime warranty on frame and the service I got from Probike in regards to checking U.S stock and calling me back was 2nd to none, I called all the other main bike companies asked about a XL frame and got the usual " no have,not get" they even tried to miss sell large framed bikes on to me, saying that me being 6ft3" and a inside leg of 36" a xl was too big. They have a delivery coming in 2 weeks but it had no XLs on it, so gotta wait. I was tempted to go for the full suss superfly 9 which was an amazing price after discount of 93000 THB, that's a £1000 cheaper than the UK!! But we're moving from Chonburi to Petchabun after Xmas and I think the hardtail will be able to cope with it all.

Nice XC bike! It's £1250.00 at www.evanscycles.com, so still a bit more expensive than your price. I guess that's not because bikes are generally cheaper in TH, but because they are usually a bit more expensive in the UK than in the US.

Cheers, CM-Expat

• Like 2

Nice XC bike! It's £1250.00 at www.evanscycles.com, so still a bit more expensive than your price. I guess that's not because bikes are generally cheaper in TH, but because they are usually a bit more expensive in the UK than in the US.

Cheers, CM-Expat

I think that Trek is being smart in terms of it's pricing here. They are one of the few that makes it easy to get bikes in "farang" sizes and cheap enough that it's not worth the trouble to buy a bike on your next trip to the US an bring it back to Thailand on the plane.

Edited by AngelsLariat

Didn't bargain, they told me the the retail price in Thailand was a bit less than the RRP in the U.S then gave me 15% discount, The fella I spoke to was Jacky all done over the phone and deposit paid by internet, very proffessional, can't wait for the bike to turn !! :)

Bought trek Madone in2010 from probike, in 2012 needed a new frame 5.9 as the frame had a defect, with life warranty on the frame probike not only assisted without any discussions ,but actively helped to get replacement from USA , gave an excellent deal for a frame upgrade to newest model and was extremely helpful in any way one could want.

One of the rare places in thailand , where I felt competence and good client relations !

Not cheap bikes of course , as trek is an upper en d brand , but WELL DONE!!

W

• Like 1

Nice XC bike! It's  £1250.00 at www.evanscycles.com, so still a bit more expensive than your price. I guess that's not because bikes are generally cheaper in TH, but because they are usually a bit more expensive in the UK than in the US.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Are you sure the Trek superfly 8 hardtail 2014 is £1250 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/superfly-8-2014-mountain-bike-ec054507

could it be that the 15% discount that Probike is throwing into the mix be the vat that would be charged in the U.S and somehow there knocking that off the RRP, anyway I'm not complaining, before I had contact with Probike I was getting so desperate to get a XL sized frame that I was bidding on a couple of secondhand bikes on the U.S eBay site, was gonna pay $450 shipping and then be at the mercy of Thai customs and there dodgy ways once the bike reached los, I just wish the part of Petchabun where moving to had a bit more single track and hills, then I'd had have a excuse to get the full suspension ;)

I was bidding on a couple of secondhand bikes on the U.S eBay site, was gonna pay $450 shipping and then be at the mercy of Thai customs and there dodgy ways once the bike reached los

I can understand that. Very difficult to find a 21.5" frame in Thailand. Did you check out chainreactioncycles.com? If you wait until after Christmas, you can probably get significant reductions on some bike models and the shipping is definitely below $450.

I just wish the part of Petchabun where moving to had a bit more single track and hills, then I'd had have a excuse to get the full suspension.

You could build a dirt jump ramp in your front yard to have an excuse for full suspension. :)

I am quite happy with FS. Allows me to ride down the local hills in Chiang Mai with greater confidence. The trails are sort of rough here...

Cheers, CM-Expat

Petchabun has some great riding, definitely around Kao Kho and near Tung Salaeng Luang just over the border on the Pitsanulok side. I'm sure you'll be able to find good singletrack up in them thar hills. Dry as hell though from February onwards.

• Like 1

FYI- the reason for Probike's ultra-competitive prices appears to be that they are the SE Asia (or Indochina, I'm not sure) distributor for Trek and Bontrager, so they're doing much larger volume than what you see in their store-- we're just enjoying their lower prices as a by-product in their shop. It's interesting that many components are same or less than in the US if they are in stock here- particularly Taiwan-produced stuff (kind of makes sense).

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I was bidding on a couple of secondhand bikes on the U.S eBay site, was gonna pay $450 shipping and then be at the mercy of Thai customs and there dodgy ways once the bike reached los

I can understand that. Very difficult to find a 21.5" frame in Thailand. Did you check out chainreactioncycles.com? If you wait until after Christmas, you can probably get significant reductions on some bike models and the shipping is definitely below $450.

I just wish the part of Petchabun where moving to had a bit more single track and hills, then I'd had have a excuse to get the full suspension.

You could build a dirt jump ramp in your front yard to have an excuse for full suspension. :)

I am quite happy with FS. Allows me to ride down the local hills in Chiang Mai with greater confidence. The trails are sort of rough here...

Cheers, CM-Expat

I tried chain reaction and wiggle, chain reaction wanted 250 quid postage, wiggle £89 but like I said before mate, your at the hands of that honest bunch Thai Customs, not worth the grief, better to buy here or bring a bike in when you land and walk it through swampy..

Petchabun has some great riding, definitely around Kao Kho and near Tung Salaeng Luang just over the border on the Pitsanulok side. I'm sure you'll be able to find good singletrack up in them thar hills. Dry as hell though from February onwards.

Unfortunately Wichianburi is an hour south Petchabun city, it more dirt tracks through the paddy fields there is a mountain range but no paths or tracks going up it, I'll check out Kao Kho when I get time, do you know if there's any bike clubs up there, i aminterested in maybe competing in a xc race, just for a laugh mind you.