Watch seller gang attack and injure Russian tourist In Pattaya

webfact

Why worry about the Russians? The Chinese are on their way, big time, and TAT is expecting five million Chinese (FITs); latter stands for individual travellers. They, for sure, will buy all those genuine products on offer on walking street 8-)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is the information stating any watch was placed in water? I agree if that happened that's a different story but I don't see such a report. Not justifying violence of course but justifying a demand of compensation.

Post #18.

Thanks.

IF that is true then the vendors had legal cause to force payment but not with violence. However, is it even legal to sell copy watches in the first place (if they are branded)? The vendors still deserve to be arrested.

Jing, should the fake guys, selling fake watches call fake cops? What would Russians in Moscow do, if a Thai's doing something similar? -w00t.gif

My understanding is the Russian cops are even more crooked than the Thai ones. They may carry a real badge but they are equal to fake cops as both do nothing except take money. In both countries. So probably nothing.

first thing i learnd when i came to thailand, mew ow cab cop un cab, easy! never had a problem ,not to forget a smile at the same time, but if you look at them with a granite face and say niat niat!! you are giving out a bad demina and thais see it as hostile and they will react moral of the story dont be an ignorant bas---d and all will be well with youwai2.gif

first thing i learnd when i came to thailand, mew ow cab cop un cab, easy.....

You're saying that: "Cat in a cab and a cop in a cab." And that should be easy? Guess I'll never understand this language.-w00t.gif

Either that or what he's trying to say is that he learnt to speak like a cat... Wonder how that's working out for him ;)

• Like 1

Something's fishy about this story. The sellers know the watches are fake. Only an idiot buyer would not know the watches are fake. The beating was about trying watches on and then NOT buying, yes?

I haven't "shopped" for copy watches for years here but I don't remember it ever being that bad here if trying watches and not buying. Is this new? Are the watch sellers hungrier or something? Maybe Russians really want REAL name watches, many have the dosh.

I did have a vendor yell at me once and call me CRAZY for refusing to buy pants that wouldn't remotely fit me, and those I didn't even try on, I just looked at them for a minute. I also was once almost caught by the "you damaged it" gambit because I picked up a glass item for five seconds, but in that case I just walked away while they chased me and threatened to call the police ...

Something may, or may not, be "fishy" about this story. In your third paragraph, you speak of two incidents that you were involved in. There's more than a small chance that some loud or angry words from you back at them would be all that was needed for you to suffer a beating from them and a few of their friends.

I have traveled enough and been here long enough, and I suspect that you have also, to know that it is wiser to "Let it go, and walk away!"

For many of these Russian tourists their trip to Pattaya may be their first trip outside of their country. Something tells me that their tour operators/sellers in Russia do not warn them about Thais losing face and reacting violently.

Yep, the working class Russians who visit here aren't noted for their gracious politeness and smiles. Their normal brusque manner - which seems to be fine with other Russians - is the opposite of how Thais like things to be done. Doubtless the Russian dude made an annoyed lip-curled face, grunted and plunked down the watches without ceremony. He'd be mystified as to why the Thais got upset. Nonetheless, (before someone accuses me of being a Thai apologist) the hair trigger temper that some of these guys have is beyond belief. Nobody deserves a beating unless he threw the first blow.

Loles said:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh Man! Just come to my mind. I bought last week a golden Rolex watch with Chanel n.5 perfume in pocket 690 B in Pattaya Jomtein. May be they are fake ??? I have to go to tourist police for my justice.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Do you really know Rolex watch?? You cannot buy even the bracelet alone in 690 Baht.

Even if you go to the policemen, you cannot get any justice. the seller didn't rip you off because what you paid is not a price for real Rolex.

If you want to see real Rolex, go to All Season's Place in Sukhumvit Road. I am not sure though what soi is that. You will see the prices of Rolex there.

There are more than 100,000 Baht.

Just a suggestion DGIE, but you might want to look up the word "facetious" ... "sarcasm" is another good word to add to the vocabulary.

I bought a genuine Cartier watch a few years ago for around 2k sterling

It said "water resistant 30 m" on back, so wore it diving to around 20 m. Result - one dead Cartier watch

Took it into Cartier - they refused to repair saying that water resistant was not the same as water proof. You're better off buying the fakes. Same quality.

• Like 1

I bought a genuine Cartier watch a few years ago for around 2k sterling

It said "water resistant 30 m" on back, so wore it diving to around 20 m. Result - one dead Cartier watch

Took it into Cartier - they refused to repair saying that water resistant was not the same as water proof. You're better off buying the fakes. Same quality.

Although variable from company to company, the ISO have a set of standards that are roughly:

WR30 means you can splash it or wear in the rain.

WR100 means you can swim or snorkel. Most manufacturers would explicitly say not for scuba.

WR200+ means you can scuba. Most manufacturers have a Scuba or Aqua range specifically for scuba and would rate them in bar (atmospheric pressure) as well as metres. Many will have serious features like helium release valves.

A Beach Road knock-off with a screw-in crown and screw back would live in a glass of water. It would have a rating of 100mm (millimetres). I wouldn't like to put one under any more pressure than that though.

Edited by Gsxrnz

" When asked, passers-by and residents said that this kind of thing usually happens, so this is giving Pattaya City a bad reputation with visitors and tourists. It is clear that the police and/or local government will have to act to stop these very vicious criminal groups from operating."

Never heard about gangs of fake watch sellers going around beating up tourist !!

Now you have!! facepalm.gif

Yes I have now,but it doesn`t "usually happens" as stated in the article coffee1.gif .

What a stoopid iggerent Russki he is! Some 3 or 4 years ago I bought a rose gold Patek Philippe from the (concealed) back of a shop in Phuket. i paid 2000 baht for it. I still have it . it works well, keeps good time and while its rose gold is perhaps a little faded it's still gold. I never once thought it was genuine. At the time I thought if it lasted 2 years that'd be good, but so far it's still AOK. I know someone who is a (genuine) watch collector and he was (and still is) amazed by its quality, particularly the accuracy of its detailing.

By the way those people with genuine Tags shold be aware the movement is Seiko !!!

I always thought 'water resistant' meant it could handle some rain or a splash in the shower.

Water resistant to 30M? <deleted>?

I would want the warranty to cover this one.

Took it into Cartier on Bond Street, totally stonewalled me and said not even recommended to shower with.

I now wear an Omega. Dived to 95m with it and it works fine. Cartier seems just a pos in a fancy box.

What a stoopid iggerent Russki he is! Some 3 or 4 years ago I bought a rose gold Patek Philippe from the (concealed) back of a shop in Phuket. i paid 2000 baht for it. I still have it . it works well, keeps good time and while its rose gold is perhaps a little faded it's still gold. I never once thought it was genuine. At the time I thought if it lasted 2 years that'd be good, but so far it's still AOK. I know someone who is a (genuine) watch collector and he was (and still is) amazed by its quality, particularly the accuracy of its detailing.

By the way those people with genuine Tags shold be aware the movement is Seiko !!!

Urban legend. They have Swiss ETA movements. And even if they did have Seiko or Citizen movements, there's nothing wrong with them.

An ETA or a Seiko (in fact all) quartz movements are cheap to make and of very high quality. A Tag or Seiko movement might cost only $50 to manufacture. Even automatic movements in a cheapish watch are not that much inferior to a high end watch. When you pay $2-$10k for a watch, you're not buying the movement, you're paying for the detail, the features, the case, the bracelet.....and of course, the name.

Casio G shock, have had it for 7 years and it works great hasn't even needed a battery change, wear it swimming in the pool and in the ocean all the time and only costs $68.50USD(2,100baht)it might not be as flashy as some of the other watches mentioned but I defy you to find a tougher watch on the market today.

Can someone please explain why one would buy a fake watch on walking street that looks like a very expensive watch but everyone knows is a fake, instead of actually buying a good functional watch for the same price from any brand that comes with 1 year warranty?

I mean what is the point of buying a fake watch?

I do get a kick seeing some of these two week millionaires sporting their fake Tag/Rolex, fake Ray Bans, fake Boss shorts, fake Billabong T-Shirt, smoking fake ciggies from Cambodia, drinking fake JD, beside their fake titted companion, who is trying to figure out how to use the fake iPhone he just bought her. blink.png

What you mean my 2500 baht omega seamaster is a fake? this is outrageous! A high end watch shop in my home city tried to charge me £65 to fit a new battery in my fake watch to which my reply was forget it. I will buy the tool off the internet and do it myself and save £57.

Theres a lot of youtube videos with people who own the real watches bitching about people who have the fakes which always gives me a big laugh.

I guess they do not like the fact that they cannot brag and show off like they intended when they bought their over priced status symbols.

I think you will find that its usually the real millionaires blonde bimbos who tend to have the fake breasts.

I have bought watches from the guy who has a shop just off Walking Street. He has never claimed his watches are real. If you

are offered a £2000 watch for 1500 baht there is a good chance it is a fake.

Pattaya has too many Russians with attitudes.

I have a good quality watch but very often use a copy when out at night.

Russians in the LOS are not known for their negotiating skills.

yeh...there is another truth that wasnt told cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20> facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif alt=facepalm.gif width=24 height=18>

on my 1st trip to thailand, early 90´s bought nice looking fakerolex, cost about 150 baht, worked for years, so i dont complain ;)

I bought a Rolex a few years back for B1000.

I asked the seller if the gold rubbed off could I get my money back.

She said that if the gold DIDN'T rub off he'd give me my money back.

It's getting worse. Tuk tuk mafia, jet ski mafia, lady boy mafia, and now fake watch mafia. Where will all this stop??

The Thais are all cowards so they need a gang (mafia) around to help if there is a "problem" with the sale.

As we all know Thais wont even try to beat up a foreign tourist if he know it's 1 percent chance he loose the fight coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Why worry about the Russians? The Chinese are on their way, big time, and TAT is expecting five million Chinese (FITs); latter stands for individual travellers. They, for sure, will buy all those genuine products on offer on walking street 8-)

China maded watches - China send watches to Thailand - Chinese Tourists buying watches and bringing back to China - RECURSION!

" When asked, passers-by and residents said that this kind of thing usually happens, so this is giving Pattaya City a bad reputation with visitors and tourists. It is clear that the police and/or local government will have to act to stop these very vicious criminal groups from operating."

Never heard about gangs of fake watch sellers going around beating up tourist !!

Never seen nor heard this either. Not to be an apologists of the watch vendors, but I gotta feeling the Russian said something to piss them off.

It's about time something was done about this.

yes, let's have tourist scruteneers at all airports, let only quality tourists in, all others pay an extreemly high deportation fee and straight back to where ever they came from, win win situation.

PS. maybe they could give a 2000bath Rolex watch and a Diesel t-shirt as Thai souveniers to the ones that get deported, of course after they pay their 50000Bath plus feewai2.gif

you know what? i got soooooo bored with fake watches lasting 5 mins that i went into tesco lotus and bought a casio for 1700bt about 6 years ago. the girl was pleasant and the watch still works on the same battery today. any seller with any thing comes to me now and its always a smile and "mai ow khrup" simples