Middle Thailand Increasingly Thinking Marrying A Farang Is "Low Class"

VisaProblem

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a little sad that so many people dismiss this as a troll post with out giving it a second's thought that marriage with a farang may not be perceived to be the same as what it was 10 years ago or so. It is a valid subject and in its broadest sense this post is about how the world is rebalancing with America and Europe waning, and Asia on the rise. In another 10 years time, how and whom will be the profile of who is marrying into Thailand will be even more different. A walk about in the lower Sukhumvit or Pattaya in the late 1990's / early 2000's, compared with these areas today, shows you the rapidly changing profiles of who is coming here to Thailand and, more importantly, where Thailand wants to market itself.

Edited by VisaProblem
  • Like 1

I don't think there's any issues with a Thai-Farang couple. However, I think as a farang you're going to have to prove yourself more than your average Thai would. Like it or not, us farangs don't have the greatest stereotype in this part of the world, so if you want people to genuinely like and respect you, expect to work for it.

It is a little sad that so many people dismiss this as a troll post with out giving it a second's thought that marriage with a farang may not be perceived to be the same as what it was 10 years ago or so. It is a valid subject and in its broadest sense this post is about how the world is rebalancing with America and Europe waning, and Asia on the rise. In another 10 years time, how and whom will be the profile of who is marrying into Thailand will be even more different. A walk about in the lower Sukhumvit or Pattaya in the late 1990's / early 2000's, compared with these areas today, shows you the rapidly changing profiles of who is coming here to Thailand and, more importantly, where Thailand wants to market itself.

Well if this stupid culture didn't get to held up on face and status and focused more on letting people who love each other on an emotional level ferry married, it wouldn't be an issue.

Would appear that the issue is more to do with people thinking that marrying a foreigner was a short cut rather than a marriage.

• Like 1

Well if this stupid culture didn't get to held up on face and status and focused more on letting people who love each other on an emotional level ferry married, it wouldn't be an issue.

Would appear that the issue is more to do with people thinking that marrying a foreigner was a short cut rather than a marriage.

Wow, what an incredibly asinine post Thai at Heart. When has this "stupid culture" not allow "people who love each other on an emotional level (to get) married?" If you're going to be intellectually dishonest, at least make it believable. As I stated earlier, a good number of farang tourists who come to Thailand assume farang/Thai couples to be low class...or worse. Care to criticize them? Or do you lack the moral courage?

Are you honestly saying that if you saw a 20 something farang lady with a 60 or 70 year old partner, you wouldnt consider that odd?

I ended by saying ultimately people should do what makes them happy (and "who are we to judge").

There was nothing judgemental in my post, in fact, it was pro being happy in life.

Cant speak the bloody truth on this forum, especially if you are a farang woman.

The fact of the matter that any farang woman with a voice in this forum is shot down, thats the long and the shot of it really.

Nothing strange about taking your Grandad out for a pint.

clap2.gif

This is all <deleted>. I married a so say 'middle class Thai ' from Mid Thailand and we have spent six years being respected by all her family and friends. If it's so looked down on to marry a Farang why is it that every week my wife is asked to find one for middle class women's daughters to marry.

I think some may consider it a troll post because you joined in 2004 and didn't start posting till 9 years later...

I think some may consider it a troll post because you joined in 2004 and didn't start posting till 9 years later...

Than those "some" are relatively simpleminded. The OP started a thread and since when should the number of posts should be an indicator of the credibility of a thread ?

Wow, what an incredibly asinine post Thai at Heart. When has this "stupid culture" not allow "people who love each other on an emotional level (to get) married?" If you're going to be intellectually dishonest, at least make it believable. As I stated earlier, a good number of farang tourists who come to Thailand assume farang/Thai couples to be low class...or worse. Care to criticize them? Or do you lack the moral courage?

A lot of Thais consider these relationships to be low class.

So please explain. I am married to a Thai woman 6 months younger than me, who was a school teacher, 2 kids.

To my mind, no different in marriage than if I had married a class mate from school. Now, we all know there are some marriages with very large age ranges, lack of ability to communicate.

Why did the bloke choose to marry? Why did the wife choose to marry?

And yes I have seen up front relatives of my wife arguing more on the issue of the dowry than whether anyone genuinely likes one another. I have seen my brother in law forced to marry a completely appropriate woman to keep mother in law happy.

So you see, this silly culture puts its emphasis on the wrong issues when it comes to marriage. Bring the cash, and in the short run, the brides parents will put up with their daughter marrying a farang.

Money not true love wins the day, 99% of the time in Thailand. Did you get away with not paying the sin sot, and I would add that love from an Asian perspective is completely different from the west.

I will never forget meeting some poor somchai in a bar many years ago crying in his beer.

Engagement refused because he couldn't raise the dowry. That's life.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Broadly the interest of 99.99% of TV members for the perceptions of the Thai people concerning marriages between farangs and thai women is very very low biggrin.png

As for their perception ( of the Thai people) increasingly on the move and not in a favorable direction broadly 99.99% of TV members do not give a f-ck about ittongue.png

Are you honestly saying that if you saw a 20 something farang lady with a 60 or 70 year old partner, you wouldnt consider that odd?

I ended by saying ultimately people should do what makes them happy (and "who are we to judge").

There was nothing judgemental in my post, in fact, it was pro being happy in life.

Cant speak the bloody truth on this forum, especially if you are a farang woman.

The fact of the matter that any farang woman with a voice in this forum is shot down, thats the long and the shot of it really.

And if me and my wife are the same age? Is that odd? If we are educated? If we actually communicate in 3 different languages together (and I am not counting the "language of love" haha)? Would that change what these "middle Thailand" people think?

And why would I care what middling people think about me. I have lived all over the world not because I cared what the people racing to the middle thought, and I imagine that is true about most (not all) of the TV members here, which is why you are getting such a bad reception on this thread.

68 years old. One of the most respected people in the world and certainly in South East Asia. Aung San Suu Kyi. Who did she marry?

Hmm, Aung San Suu Kyi is Burmese , and, was was educated at Cambridge so she is deffo NOT a middle-class Thai ...

You wrote, " It is a valid subject and in its broadest sense this post is about how the world is rebalancing with America and Europe waning, and Asia on the rise." Aung San Suu Kyi is one of the most respected people in Asia and she was married to a Farang not tarnishing her Asian image in the slightest. If you were correct her marriage would have made her less respected in Asia which it did not.

Your thoughts remind me of the Japanese propaganda during WW II where, "Asia for the Asians" was a widespread slogan.

The 'class' you talk about sound to me like the Chinese Thais. Everything they are about is how to increase their bank account. They are jealous when a poor prostitute gets instantly more money than them for working in a dingy office 10 hours a day and not being able to put a coat of paint on their walls for 25 years.

Chinese measure success by material wealth and it is also in their culture to openly exhibit wealth to gain status among peers. They may lie, cheat & steal to gain wealth but generally will not prostitute themselves. They can accumalate wealth by other fraudulent means but will not be respected in their community if they turn to prostitution. I dont think a struggling or hard working Chinese working in a dingy office for 10hrs is envious of a well earning prostitute, they look down on them.

The 'class' you talk about sound to me like the Chinese Thais. Everything they are about is how to increase their bank account. They are jealous when a poor prostitute gets instantly more money than them for working in a dingy office 10 hours a day and not being able to put a coat of paint on their walls for 25 years.

Chinese measure success by material wealth and it is also in their culture to openly exhibit wealth to gain status among peers. They may lie, cheat & steal to gain wealth but generally will not prostitute themselves. They can accumalate wealth by other fraudulent means but will not be respected in their community if they turn to prostitution. I dont think a struggling or hard working Chinese working in a dingy office for 10hrs is envious of a well earning prostitute, they look down on them.

Because, as we all know, there are no prostitutes in China.....at all....

http://www.havocscope.com/number-of-prostitutes-in-china/

68 years old. One of the most respected people in the world and certainly in South East Asia. Aung San Suu Kyi. Who did she marry?

Hmm, Aung San Suu Kyi is Burmese , and, was was educated at Cambridge so she is deffo NOT a middle-class Thai ...

You wrote, " It is a valid subject and in its broadest sense this post is about how the world is rebalancing with America and Europe waning, and Asia on the rise." Aung San Suu Kyi is one of the most respected people in Asia and she was married to a Farang not tarnishing her Asian image in the slightest. If you were correct her marriage would have made her less respected in Asia which it did not.

Your thoughts remind me of the Japanese propaganda during WW II where, "Asia for the Asians" was a widespread slogan.

Thats's great but were talking about Thais, not other Asian nationalities, and were talking about the blinkered Thai middle-class not elite daughter-of-a-ruling general Camdridge graduates from a completely different country.

Edited by VisaProblem

My response was in relation to Thai Chinese. If you want me to be more clear, a poorly educated isaan girl in the trade may make a lot of money and will be envied and looked upon in her community though everyone including her parents may be aware of what her real job is. But if a Thai Chinese girl was in a similar situation, she will not be respected within her community.

Than those "some" are relatively simpleminded. The OP started a thread and since when should the number of posts should be an indicator of the credibility of a thread ?

The fact that a number of 2004 joiners have recently started posting contentious threads 9 years after they joined and which got them banned might have something to do with it...

My response was in relation to Thai Chinese. If you want me to be more clear, a poorly educated isaan girl in the trade may make a lot of money and will be envied and looked upon in her community though everyone including her parents may be aware of what her real job is. But if a Thai Chinese girl was in a similar situation, she will not be respected within her community.

I think they look down on them out of jealousy. Just an easier excuse for being jealous, that's all. I don't think that Isaan people, or Thais in general, look up to prostitutes, either. They are just jealous, too (if they are acting like what was mentioned in the previous posts), and knowing the money came from that makes it easier to justify their feelings.

There is a world of difference between envied and respected.

The fact that a number of 2004 joiners have recently started posting contentious threads 9 years after they joined and which got them banned might have something to do with it...

forgive me for being unable to follow your reasoning, but had they been banned, how would they be posting now?

have you thought this out?

forgive me for being unable to follow your reasoning, but had they been banned, how would they be posting now?

have you thought this out?

They joined in 2004.

Between 2004 and 2013 they posted little or nothing.

In 2013 they started contentious threads which got them banned.

Yes I have thought it out...