housebuilding on a leased land

If the lease is registered at the Land Office and inscribed on the chanote then it must be honoured by the heirs and successors to the end of term. They are under no obligation to renew the lease. 30+30 years is a fiction devised to dupe gullible falangs, a second or third 30 years is NOT recognized by the Land Office whose opinion outweighs real estate agents, barstool lawyers and anyone else.

Edited by johnnyk

If the lease is registered at the Land Office and inscribed on the chanote then it must be honoured by the heirs and successors to the end of term. They are under no obligation to renew the lease. 30+30 years is a fiction devised to dupe gullible falangs, a second or third 30 years is NOT recognized by the Land Office whose opinion outweighs real estate agents, barstool lawyers and anyone else.

thumbsup.gif

Just out of interest- what happens to the house under the farang name when the lease expires? I mean if its wood then they could move it but how about concrete and they don't remove it? Is there a time limit to remove buildings by or else they revert in ownership to the land owner or something?

When the lease expires and is not renewed the house owner is entitled to "fair" compensation. En principe, as the French say.

In reality the landowner could offer 500 baht for the building.

The choices then are

1) take it or leave it

2)spend time and money going to court (not fun if you are elderly and it was your home) to get some kind of judgement that may not be enforceable

3) walk away

4) knock it down and haul away the debris at your cost

By "lease holder" do you mean the one who is leasing (lessee) or the one giving the lease (lessor)? If the lessor dies his heir(s) are legally bound to honour the lease to term.

If the lessee dies I'm not sure, it may depend on how the lease contract is written.

Effectively, the house will be worth little to you as the landlord will know he holds the best cards.

Edited by johnnyk

Effectively, the house will be worth little to you as the landlord will know he holds the best cards.

Yes .... and no.

The leasee also has some good cards to play because the landlord would much prefer to gain a nice house on his land, rather than a pile of rubble. So it may be possible to either negotiate a lease extension or some payment - albeit discounted - for the house

I lease land on which I build small hotels. The hotel business is mine, not the landlord's. At the end of the lease term, if the lease is not renewed, I can demolish the hotel buildings and move my hotel to a neighbouring plot of leased land and build new buildings, (cheap to build compared to the profit earned from them over the lease term)

Simon

• Like 1

What!!!

Are you serious.....

tell me more... have you had to demolish and rebuild yet?

what sort of lease are you getting... i mean time wise..

it surely cant be profitable to demolish and rebuild.....

If you can't recoup you investment in thirty years, you should not be in business

To date, I have never had to move the business, because the land leases that I get are typically 15 - 20 years. Build costs are no more than 4 million baht (these are 10-room hotels), and net profit is typically 2 million per year.

I did sell one hotel with only 9 years left on the lease and sold it for 8 million baht for a 5 million baht investrment...