Do you eat at central festival pattaya?

infinity11

I agree that KISS opposite Mikes is a much better choice than the food court in Central. Its cheap and tasty food .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that KISS opposite Mikes is a much better choice than the food court in Central. Its cheap and tasty food .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Do they still let the roving vendors pester their guests at Kiss? I hate that. What's in it for Kiss?

Last time I was in there, a steady parade of pesky vendors bothered the hell out of us. I mean non stop, in your face one after another. About one vendor for every two bites of food. Maybe worse.

Whenever I do see someone make a purchase I feel like strangling them for encouraging the rude behavior.

Nothing stellar but if you're looking for a more authentic Japanese food experience locally at very moderate prices, check out the Japanese place across the street from the Hong Residence on Soi 4 North Pattaya (between Beach and 2nd). You go in there and you feel you're in Japan! (Not the hiso version.)

What's wrong with Zen? I think it is pretty authentic and the quality is great.

Nothing stellar but if you're looking for a more authentic Japanese food experience locally at very moderate prices, check out the Japanese place across the street from the Hong Residence on Soi 4 North Pattaya (between Beach and 2nd). You go in there and you feel you're in Japan! (Not the hiso version.)

I like Zen and Fuji and dont give a rats if they are or arent so called authentic.

Good food and cheap prices in a nice air con environment with no vendors pestering you and staff at least trained not to abuse you.

A meal for myself and TGG is usually less than 800baht.

I also like Sizzllers and Ooshi for that matter and quite often have lunch downstairs in the food court.

Never had a stomach problem from any of the food there.

• Like 1

I see there are a lot of food snobs here on TV. I eat often at the food court on the lower floor. From one of the Thai places

or Vietnamese place. High volume turn over means lots of fresh food. Excellent value. Thais eat there and I have taken guests

there that think the food is very good. Lots of choice. Yes ambiance is lacking and there are lots of Russians but so what.

Like I said, a lot of food snobs. I also eat a lot at markets and food stands. I go to places that are busy so the food is fresh.

I have yet to get an upset stomach but if it happens sometime, its OK I have had a lot of good food experiences.

I`m a regular consumer of street food too,but I just hate the atmosphere in the food courts in these big shopping centers.

I have no problems eating at the food outlet such as Tuccom....less noisy there thumbsup.gif .

Amen to that. I've never had a bad meal there and I don't give a rat's @rse if many/most Japanese wouldn't like it. For some the "authenticity" of the place seem to be more important than anything else.

I've eaten sushi in many restaurants in Tokyo over the years and had lots of meals that were obviously better than Zen, but most not by that much. But since this was mainly in the Roppongi (tourist, not authentic) area this probably doesn't count - ooops somebody forgot to tell the mainly Japanese clientele that!

Zen calls itself a Japanese restaurant. Out of curiosity, I would like to know from the "real and authentic" crowd (and you know who you arewink.png ) what you would call Zen?

Amen to that. I've never had a bad meal there and I don't give a rat's @rse if many/most Japanese wouldn't like it. For some the "authenticity" of the place seem to be more important than anything else.

I've eaten sushi in many restaurants in Tokyo over the years and had lots of meals that were obviously better than Zen, but most not by that much. But since this was mainly in the Roppongi (tourist, not authentic) area this probably doesn't count - ooops somebody forgot to tell the mainly Japanese clientele that!

Zen calls itself a Japanese restaurant. Out of curiosity, I would like to know from the "real and authentic" crowd (and you know who you arewink.png ) what you would call Zen?

It's my go to restaurant in Central whenever I want to treat my wife and I to a relaxed, good quality meal. I find the staff there are excellent. They don't bug you, but they're always on hand for service when you need it.

what you would call Zen?

Westernized/Thaiernized Japanese fast foodbiggrin.png

I'd call it international Japanese food. Made affordable for the masses.

If they served up the real Japanese stuff, it would be too expensive for the mall shoppers.

Zen and Fuji chains don't serve actual Japanese food that would please most Japanese people. Thai taste style "Japanese" is what they do, yes?

Ah, the Capo of the "Real and Authentic" mafia strikes again!smile.png

No one has said that the food in Zen (I have eaten there many times, less so in Fuji) is exactly as in Japan, even though I'd be hard pressed to spot the difference, having eaten plenty of sushi and sashimi in Tokyo.

Don't know what pleases most Japanese but what I can tell you is that just about every time I eat there I see Japanese customers as well.

They do have several dishes that end with "XXXX, Thai style". But isn't that part of the fun - eating food from different parts of the world in different parts of the world?

Zen label themselves a Japanese restaurant, and I think they're right!

I have only eaten in cheap restaurants when I have visited Japan, but don't see a lot of difference at Fuji or Zen for the traditional Japanese dishes. I think that Fuji and Zen are pretty good for the price.

• Like 2

what you would call Zen?

If they served up the real Japanese stuff, it would be too expensive for the mall shoppers.

I've never been in Japan, so please educate me about what would make a Thai Zen / Fuji sushi not affordable if it was made to the same standards as a sushi served in Japan.

it can't be the labor cost as that one is way cheaper in Thailand.

I eat at the Food Court about twice a week. Thai food. inexpensive and good portions.

Never had stomach problems.

Off the subject; however, I was at the Food Court at Tesco, watched the food inspector,he

really did a good job. Went to each stall, made them clean some things, remove others

and I was impressed. Never been sick from eating at Tesco next to Outlet Mall.

Was that a government food inspector or something Tesco was doing on its own?

I was unaware food inspectors existed in Thailand.

I eat at the Food Court about twice a week. Thai food. inexpensive and good portions.

Never had stomach problems.

Off the subject; however, I was at the Food Court at Tesco, watched the food inspector,he

really did a good job. Went to each stall, made them clean some things, remove others

and I was impressed. Never been sick from eating at Tesco next to Outlet Mall.

Was that a government food inspector or something Tesco was doing on its own?

I was unaware food inspectors existed in Thailand.

Oh yes food inspectors exist in Thailand. The only difference is that an inspection in the Western world takes a certain amount of time to complete the report, where in Thailand it takes a certain amount of money.

Anyway, I think LMS was taking about Tesco employed food inspectors.

I see there are a lot of food snobs here on TV. I eat often at the food court on the lower floor. From one of the Thai places

or Vietnamese place. High volume turn over means lots of fresh food. Excellent value. Thais eat there and I have taken guests

there that think the food is very good. Lots of choice. Yes ambiance is lacking and there are lots of Russians but so what.

Like I said, a lot of food snobs. I also eat a lot at markets and food stands. I go to places that are busy so the food is fresh.

I have yet to get an upset stomach but if it happens sometime, its OK I have had a lot of good food experiences.

Food snobs?

Not really, I have eaten street food all my life, both in Africa and Asia (and only had food poisoning twice, both times in Africa).

I just absolutely hate malls and food courts. Not because I think the food is <deleted>, I have actually had very good food eating in a couple of the food courts in office buildings, I just hate the atmosphere. This applies to the whole mall, not just the restaurants; I try and be in and out as fast as my feet carry me.

Sounds like a personal problem.

Certainly does. I like the atmosphere in Central. It's a good place to shop and a good place to eat. Pattaya gained a lot when it opened.

• Like 1

what you would call Zen?

You've probably not had a good look at Zen's menu. There's wagu beef dishes around the 1000 baht mark.

Your comment is a bit meaningless, because in Japan there's a whole spectrum of cheap to very expensive restaurants as you'd expect in any country.

• Like 1

Myself & my Thai gf eat Thai food 95% of the time, from many varied places & we find that if we are Central then we will go & eat there. Never had any issues or problems eating the food there & if the gf is willing to eat there then it can't be that bad wai.gif

Myself & my Thai gf eat Thai food 95% of the time, from many varied places & we find that if we are Central then we will go & eat there. Never had any issues or problems eating the food there & if the gf is willing to eat there then it can't be that bad wai.gif

Today I had the chicken fried rice with green curry. That's where they fry the rice in the curry juice, delicious and only 80 baht for a big plateful.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I can't remember the name of the place at the moment, but inside the bottom-level food court is a Japanese place (on the end near the cashier). It is always tasty and a good alternative to Thai food. I like the tempura-like shrimp on rice, soup w/ good noodles (and I am not a fan of noodles, but these are good) and salad w/ great Japanese dressing--a combination plate at this particular place. Always seems "clean" and staff are helpful.