Buying a superbike for a 2 months trip?

Wulf86

I think you should re think this. Your going to be here for a long time and riding this type of bike is going to limit your amounts of clothing ect... you are going to be able to take. Who wants to ride with a back pack full of clothes on your back in Asia. if you think for that price fly to your destination rent a good bike there and tour around the area. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should re think this. Your going to be here for a long time and riding this type of bike is going to limit your amounts of clothing ect... you are going to be able to take. Who wants to ride with a back pack full of clothes on your back in Asia. if you think for that price fly to your destination rent a good bike there and tour around the area. Just my 2 cents worth.

Hello, this is a biker's forum, not sure if there is a good old common sense forum where you can post such advice. Let the OP live his dream and bike himself the shit out of SE Asia, we live once.

BTW, try renting a big bike outside the wll know places then you will tell me. It was not super easy renting a scooter in Khon Kaen, go figure.

• Like 1

Hello, this is a biker's forum, not sure if there is a good old common sense forum where you can post such advice. Let the OP live his dream and bike himself the shit out of SE Asia, we live once.

BTW, try renting a big bike outside the wll know places then you will tell me. It was not super easy renting a scooter in Khon Kaen, go figure.

Google is your friend....

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/classifieds-khon-kaen/

:) can get a bike anywhere just have to make an attempt to look.

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/classifieds-khon-kaen/

smile.png can get a bike anywhere just have to make an attempt to look.

May Buddha bless your optimism man, and soothe your disillusions.

smile.png can get a bike anywhere just have to make an attempt to look.

May Buddha bless your optimism man, and soothe your disillusions.

Indeed! And may the teachings show the nay sayers that life is what you make it. If you see poop you get poop. But hey I always seem to find what I am looking for

So I got a few good offers of secondhand bikes now, but they told me that it still takes more then 2-3 weeks until I get the GreenBook.

He told me, I could drive without the book in Thailand, because I have all reciepts and would send it later to me by mail.

So, is this allowed to drive without the GreenBook? Also which risks do I have about the book?

They told me, with the correct papers it should be possible to cross the border with a hired bike too. I don't belive in this, because enough people told here in the forum thats not possible.

Can I check this at the consulate of the country?

So I got a few good offers of secondhand bikes now, but they told me that it still takes more then 2-3 weeks until I get the GreenBook.

He told me, I could drive without the book in Thailand, because I have all reciepts and would send it later to me by mail.

So, is this allowed to drive without the GreenBook? Also which risks do I have about the book?

They told me, with the correct papers it should be possible to cross the border with a hired bike too. I don't belive in this, because enough people told here in the forum thats not possible.

Can I check this at the consulate of the country?

I got my (new) green book the same day, 2000 baht with no bribes on a 30 year old Honda, it would have been a few hours but it failed the MOT. Perhaps this is unique in Thailand, but they thought it was too loud when I pulled up and that cost just 200 baht.

So it can be done, but my missus fluttered her eyelashes a little, not sure that would work with a geeza...plus we were lucky, I am told.... and I have to add it is in her name.

But hey this is Thailand, flash a couple of 1000 baht notes and you are there.

My worry is still the border and it would be a bugga if they refused.....but then money talks. Let us all know how you get on and good luck.

Well, here in Malaysia they call a scooter a motorbike. And they call a usually motorbike a superbike. I'm confused by that, too.

My budget for a motorbike and clothes is arround 6000 Euro. I could by a fast scooter too. But I dont know if this is powerful enough for all hills.

This seems to be a logistics problem. You can buy the bike in Malaysia, get the paperwork for getting into other countries, then ride around Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia. Make sure to check which borders allow bikes to pass as TH - Laos not all of them do. Id use Chiang Kong.

Back to malaysia and sell the bike there. Even though big bikes are more expensive in malaysia, you would only pay the depreciation in 2 months and mileage. Upfront it might be more expensive but overall pretty close to Thailand?

Other option is to rent from one of the places that provide papers for getting into Laos and Cambodia. Both POP and C&P(??) in Chiang Mai do that. They will charge you more for the bike but if you take it for 2 months they are going to give you a discount. I took a KLX 250 and a CRF250 into Laos for 1000 baht / day. Only a week. These bikes are slow on the highway in Thailand but in Laos they were perfect with the road conditions there. You could not go any faster anyway and asphalt often is missing in patches so a dirt bike is great.

So to answer the question yes you can take a rental bike across the border, as long as the rental place provides the paperwork. Went without a hitch in Chiang Kong but we were refused at another border. Laos is currently thinking about closing off their border to all bikes so you better hurry with your trip

Edited by nikster

I have the perfect bike for you, a mint condition Africa Twin 750. A fantastic road bike, and can handle a bit of off road,

and the occasional bad section of regular road which seems to pop up a lot in Asia. I would consider a deal whereby

in essence you rent the bike with a deposit equal to the value of the bike, and I simply buy it back from you at the end

of your trip. With the correct paperwork, it is a simple process to cross into Laos and Cambodia. PM me if you are interested.