TX money from Australian bank to Thai Bank.

Hi All,

I want to send some money to Thailand, to my sister in law. I have never done a swift transfer so I thought I'd just send 1000 baht to test the waters and make sure all the details she gave me were correct etc.

I send the 1000 baht and pay the fees as well at my end here in Australia but she only recieved 650 Baht. Obviously there is a fee of 350 Baht collected by my sister in laws bank (SCB).

Question is? Are they charging 35% or 350Baht regardless of the amount transfered? I tried to get my sister in law to get an explanation for the missing 350 but that would become another thread so.............

If anyone has experience doing swift transfers I'd love to hear any info you may have.

Thanks,

Damo.

Yes, it's a standard a standard fee regardless of the amount.It varies between banks though. SCB is one of the most expensive - I think Ayudhya only charges about 200B. Also make sure you transfer it in AU$'s (not Thai Baht) - you'll get a better exchange rate.

• Like 1

I have transferred up to AUD $10k to a Kasikorn bank. Better exchange rate than cash etc. Fee from Austr end was $22 (but I think Westpac charge $18), transfer affected overnight.

I got hit with a 500B fee six months later. Hope your party avoids this, or that 1kB gonna be a bit of a lightweight gift. Cheers, AA

Yes, it's a standard a standard fee regardless of the amount.It varies between banks though. SCB is one of the most expensive - I think Ayudhya only charges about 200B. Also make sure you transfer it in AU$'s (not Thai Baht) - you'll get a better exchange rate.

Yep - that's my understanding too.

What about transferring from an Australian AUD account to a Bangkok Bank USD account - is it better to also have the AUD ----> USD conversion done here in Thailand?

In this case, better send USD. If you send AUD to a USD account in Thailand the Thai bank will first convert AUD to THB and then convert THB to USD.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In this case, better send USD. If you send AUD to a USD account in Thailand the Thai bank will first convert AUD to THB and then convert THB to USD. Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Tks - much appreciated!