The go-for-broke amnesty and Thailand's Year Zero

webfact

Thailand shoots itself in the foot every few years. Our 'leaders' need to try Implementing just half of the several thousand laws already in place. It will deliver wins to Thailand. Instead we now have a planned amnesty to get around the law.

In Thailand we have laws for everything and keep trying to push through more laws - as though with more laws gathering dust people automatically become law-abiding. Such nonsense given that only 1/10th of all laws are ever implemented.

Doing business in Thailand becomes a nightmare IF one tries to obey every single law given the meaningless legal maze successive govt's have wrapped us in. Leaves business with no choice but to obey the rational laws and ignore the rest. And yet - we have more laws being passed like this amnesty for violent, thieving people who dressed in the colors of a political party to look half-decent. shame.

Year Zero was the Khmer Rouge's Pol Pot's designation for 1975 and the KR takeover and genocide. Year Zero also refers to the French Revolution of 1792 and the elimination of the French monarch. Thaksin's characterization of this year zero or set zero with regard to his return should be very incendiary to many Thais.

Interesting.

Perhaps it all might be for the best if Takki comes back and collects his illgotten gains and all of the political power he aspires too!

Like Hitler, when told of the imminent collapse of the German Reich said "let it happen, the people are weak, they were not as good as I needed them to be"

I think that Takki is quite prepared to destroy it all, what does he care, his money is all offshore, his rellies are only a plane flight away, let the survivors fight in the rubble!

He'll have his revenge!

Yeah good. Let him come back. That man walks the talk and gets things done. He is a good leader and knows his shit. They say he is corrupt as f..k. Indeed. Which politician isn't? They say he has done bad things. Indeed. Which one of us or one of those fake f...ks has not? People need men like him so they have someone to point a finger at and say he is the bad guy. But at the end of the day this guy is still someone who at least did something valuable and who did what he said. While he was in position, the crime rate declined, less people were in prison, the health care improved, the poor regions made significant progress, the education got better, the economy got stronger etc..etc. What the hell all those people have done who point a finger at him and blame him for everything? What? Nothing..that's what I thought. As far as I am concerned, he is the man who has an entire section dedicated to the overall benefits of his decisions and policies while in power, on his Wikipedia page. Those who say he is evil and criticize him..what have they done besides talking shit. Nothing. So why do they feel the need to talk in the first place?

I know you all agree with me sweeties.

• Like 2

Yeah good. Let him come back. That man walks the talk and gets things done. He is a good leader and knows his shit. They say he is corrupt as f..k. Indeed. Which politician isn't? They say he has done bad things. Indeed. Which one of us or one of those fake f...ks has not? People need men like him so they have someone to point a finger at and say he is the bad guy. But at the end of the day this guy is still someone who at least did something valuable and who did what he said. While he was in position, the crime rate declined, less people were in prison, the health care improved, the poor regions made significant progress, the education got better, the economy got stronger etc..etc. What the hell all those people have done who point a finger at him and blame him for everything? What? Nothing..that's what I thought. As far as I am concerned, he is the man who has an entire section dedicated to the overall benefits of his decisions and policies while in power, on his Wikipedia page. Those who say he is evil and criticize him..what have they done besides talking shit. Nothing. So why do they feel the need to talk in the first place?

Your hero at work...:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkfdEKGbZKY

Suthep on ASTV as I type.

How many in the crowd? 300,400?

Same old same old.

Whilst I disagree with Peu Thai changing the amnesty bill from just releasing those red shirts held in prison for protesting and not for serious offences involving violence to this broader undefined amnesty (playing into the hands of the opposition)it's worth reminding ourselves that without the disasterous coup and its offspring judicial proceedings no red shirt now would have been held in prison for 3 years.
According to Wikileaks in 2006 US Ambassador John communicated to the the coup leaders the US state departments demand that free and fair elections be held within 1 year of the coup and yet the thai people were informed by the coup leaders that unless they agreed to the rewriting of the constitution no date could be given for fresh elections.Elections were held in December 2006. PPP won.
In short the thai people were lied to.
The thai people were also informed that the 2006 constitution could still be ammended by any new government and Abhisit and the dems said that they also were not opposed to changes to these ammendments.
They have since gone back on their word and oppose any changes.
  • Like 1

The people get the government that they deserve. For decades urban middle and upper classes ignored the plight of the poor in the provinces, and they'd reached a ridiculous level of subservience before all the troubles began. That's not what Thailand is all about and these people were living in a never never land if they thought that it would continue like that forever. Yesterday's selfishness is today's trouble.

• Like 1

Thailand shoots itself in the foot every few years. Our 'leaders' need to try Implementing just half of the several thousand laws already in place. It will deliver wins to Thailand. Instead we now have a planned amnesty to get around the law.

In Thailand we have laws for everything and keep trying to push through more laws - as though with more laws gathering dust people automatically become law-abiding. Such nonsense given that only 1/10th of all laws are ever implemented.

Doing business in Thailand becomes a nightmare IF one tries to obey every single law given the meaningless legal maze successive govt's have wrapped us in. Leaves business with no choice but to obey the rational laws and ignore the rest. And yet - we have more laws being passed like this amnesty for violent, thieving people who dressed in the colors of a political party to look half-decent. shame.

The many laws are used to foster corruption and criminality....ever had to pay a bribe to a cop for some obscure law noone ever heard of? Easier to pay the bribe that have police actually enforce the multitude of laws.

the real trouble coming is to do with standards of living.

There's a general strike in Indonesia.

Their minimum wage is roughly the same as Thailand's 300 baht.

They are striking for over 60% increase.

200 baht buys you a coffee in thailand.

The blather about Thaksin is just that.

The most effective brainwashing but the real issues are swept aside.

Sustainable development is the key. Even the sufficiency economy shows some merit opposed to the rampant greed and corruption of the elites.

Top down corruption.

Do as I do and follow the rules and maybe you too can benefit from the corruption.

Accept these breadcrumbs.

the real trouble coming is to do with standards of living.

200 baht buys you a coffee in thailand.

Really ?

I guess most average Thais would go there for coffee ?

My coffee costs 10 Baht in my local market, delicious - and I get free tea as well !!

• Like 1

Same old same old.

Whilst I disagree with Peu Thai changing the amnesty bill from just releasing those red shirts held in prison for protesting and not for serious offences involving violence to this broader undefined amnesty (playing into the hands of the opposition)it's worth reminding ourselves that without the disasterous coup and its offspring judicial proceedings no red shirt now would have been held in prison for 3 years.
According to Wikileaks in 2006 US Ambassador John communicated to the the coup leaders the US state departments demand that free and fair elections be held within 1 year of the coup and yet the thai people were informed by the coup leaders that unless they agreed to the rewriting of the constitution no date could be given for fresh elections.Elections were held in December 2006. PPP won.
The thai people were also informed that the 2006 constitution could still be ammended by any new government and Abhisit and the dems said that they also were not opposed to changes to these ammendments.

300 or 400...... are you sure it was that many? That's more than showed up at Thaksin's aborted red shirt rave in Myanmar.

Same old same old.

300 or 400...... are you sure it was that many? That's more than showed up at Thaksin's aborted red shirt rave in Myanmar.

blather blather keep mentioning the name Thaksin, brain-washing trigger.

the whole world should know about this guy by now but They don't.

OF course the bit about the US of A demanding elections and the coup leaders trickery around the constitutional rewrite doesn't elicit a response.

Nor the Dems about return.

Sondhi of the PAD he just had to say that the US ambassador made it all up as he was bigging himself up!

Hilarious.

Why am I not surprised?

Am I bothered?

not really.

Demonstrations?

The one trick pony has left the stables.

Wither now?

well they do at True coffee opposite Paragon

but you obviously don't get it at true or anywhere else

No, even True doesn't sting you 200 baht for a regular coffee...

Not even at any of the five star hotels in town would you pay that much for your regular latte, cappucino, flat white, long black, espresso...

You order something stupid like a half soy, weak, skinny, decaf chai latte? Well you deserve to be screwed for the price...

Off the top of my head in and around that area even a large coffee is at most going to set you back 120 baht...

OF course the bit about the US of A demanding elections and the coup leaders trickery around the constitutional rewrite doesn't elicit a response.

Of course not, its only a copy and paste from the red shirt book.

In case you didn't notice this topic is about the amnesty.

But as you have no answer for that you have to back to the old tired, 'what about the coup, but the dems'

• Like 1

well they do at True coffee opposite Paragon

but you obviously don't get it at true or anywhere else

No, even True doesn't sting you 200 baht for a regular coffee...

Not even at any of the five star hotels in town would you pay that much for your regular latte, cappucino, flat white, long black, espresso...

You order something stupid like a half soy, weak, skinny, decaf chai latte? Well you deserve to be screwed for the price...

Off the top of my head in and around that area even a large coffee is at most going to set you back 120 baht...

So there yer go, the average Thai can have two cups of coffee a day and still have change in his pocket. Whoopee doo

Edited by paulchiangmai

-----------+---------------

This is how people end up talking when they have been dropped on their head when they were a baby toooooo many times.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Disgusting attempt to not only whitewash Thaksin, but also distance all those guilty of corruption between 2006 and August 2013 from blame. Still, the voters are ultimately responsible for the government they elect, so now they have to take it on the chin, even if they disagree. Perhaps lessons will be learned in the very distant future about electing responsible, transparent and accountable governments.

No one, not even the PTP, are trying to whitewash Thaksin. Your quote implies that you don't live in Thailand and therefor have no idea what is going on.

Maybe unlike you I do not live in dy UK, but in Thailand and agree with Sunderland.

Maybe time to start thinking and come with reasoning why you think no one, not even (Thaksin's) PT is trying to whitewash him.wink.png

Disgusting attempt to not only whitewash Thaksin, but also distance all those guilty of corruption between 2006 and August 2013 from blame. Still, the voters are ultimately responsible for the government they elect, so now they have to take it on the chin, even if they disagree. Perhaps lessons will be learned in the very distant future about electing responsible, transparent and accountable governments.

No one, not even the PTP, are trying to whitewash Thaksin. Your quote implies that you don't live in Thailand and therefor have no idea what is going on.

Are you seriously that stupid? What do you think the amnesty is doing? Who do you think voted for it?

Are you seriously that stupid? What do you think the amnesty is doing? Who do you think voted for it?

I think indiuk has finally lost it, all that Cognitive Dissonance has taken its toll.

• Like 1