DCS-5020L D-Link Security Camera

Cloggie

Spend already hours on reading reviews some very positive - some very negative so lets see if any people here have any experience with this Security Camera before I buy it next week from InvadeIT.

Recently we had some "visitors" in our Moo Baan and my girlfriend wants a camera outside so she can see what is going on at the gate / garden, also in the evening.

It looks like the D-Link DCS-5020L can all do this and the idea is to mount it outside under the roof (I know it's not s special outdoor camera), connect it to my WIFi network and monitor our home over internet when we are not there..

Any members any experience with this camera?

I haven't used this particular model, but I did set up a D-Link DCS-932L outdoors for monitoring. Since it's flatter than the 5020 model, I was able to weather-seal the IR and lens elements with a mobile phone screen protector, and the side seams with sealants. It's been running mounted under a roof for 9 months without any issues, although it is in the desert, where humidity levels average from 1-20%, and isn't exposed to direct sunlight or dust.

For Thailand, I really think you'd be better off with an outdoor rated bullet camera -- the IR illumination is far brighter than what I've seen on the D-Link models, they often support Power over Ethernet, and offer HD+ resolutions. The 5020L has a max resolution of 640 X 480 -- this is too low for any facial identification unless someone were to walk just a few meters in front of the camera. I'd also highly recommend you use Blue Iris. It takes a bit of setting up and tweaking, but the level of control and configuration it gives you is unmatched, as are the Android/iOS apps.

Edited by Ian223

Ian223 - thanks for your comments.

Found today CCTV systems at HomePro and will have a look at them as well - have a look at www.kenprocctv.com

Looks like they have a dealer in my town so will have a look at the prices there first on Monday.

At my previous job I installed and used 16 systems with 16 CCTV camera's each.

Biggest problem always was that it was very, very difficult to see who it was, they all had black hair, brown skin etc etc

Unless the person was 1 / 2 meter close to the camera you could see who it was, but further away - forget it.