Why be in Thailand?

laolover88

Many reasons:laugh.png

The climate.

The women!giggle.gif

It is cheap. I know some posters will not agree. But I think it is cheap!

The smiles. 90% fake or for money, But I still enjoy it.

Easy the get permission to stay long time.

The food. Both the streetfood and all the good restaurants.

Thai politics!! You couldn't make it up. Super entertainment.clap2.gif

I became hansum without plastic surgery!

The very colourful everyday life.

Been here 10 years. My only regret is, that I didn't come earlier.

nice post!!!

• Like 1

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lived here and there....and compared to Jamaica this place is paradise. For this region Thailand for me is the best option. Live near Vientiane and go there often....now that is a real dung hole. Sort of like the Tijuana of Mexico.

Over the years I've often been to Vientiane and to TJ - I live in central Mexico. I see no comparison between VT [pop est 750k+] and TJ [pop est 1.4mil] - worlds and worlds apart both literally and figuratively - My only regret after my 1st visit to Vientiane xx years ago was "Wow, what was it like in the mid/late 60's?"

-former sole US rep for Lao Aviation

Comparison - both cities are sh*t holes...pardon my french. And this is only my opinion from seeing both.

Lived here and there....and compared to Jamaica this place is paradise. For this region Thailand for me is the best option. Live near Vientiane and go there often....now that is a real dung hole. Sort of like the Tijuana of Mexico.

So yes the weather, the people, easy lifestyle, no big brother atmosphere, moderate cost of living, great place to raise children, not many foreigners (in my area anyways) and good food.

...you seem to be recommending;perhaps you're a person who'd be happy anywhere...?

Nope!

UK - 3 years - never again

Jamaica - 2.5 years - never again

Marrakech - 1.5 years - never again

Hawaii - 2 years - never again

Dominican Republic - 1.5 years - never again

Las Vegas - 3 years - Yeah Baby!!!!

Places I would recommend:

Portugal

Las Vegas

Costa Rica

Some parts of Mexico

New Mexico

• Like 1

Why not? The Thais love foreigners...that is why you have to show and maintain a sizeable income to stay...

They check regularly to ensure you can still maintain your standard of living...and if not...they will be glad to assist your move elsewhere...

This may be the only country I know...where you have to examine...in minute detail every monetary transaction...you can be sure they have found some method of scamming you out of your baht...

And owning a home...yes...just place it in a Thais name...so in a few months or years...you can find yourself out of a place to stay...and did I mention unable to recoup the millions of baht you poured into the home in the purchase...furniture...and so on...

And who does not love to see foreigners displayed as moronic villains in the press...TV...and movies...

Ah...yes...Thailand is the place for me...

what country invites poor folk to come and stay??

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif The United States!!!

Why not? The Thais love foreigners...that is why you have to show and maintain a sizeable income to stay...

They check regularly to ensure you can still maintain your standard of living...and if not...they will be glad to assist your move elsewhere...

This may be the only country I know...where you have to examine...in minute detail every monetary transaction...you can be sure they have found some method of scamming you out of your baht...

And owning a home...yes...just place it in a Thais name...so in a few months or years...you can find yourself out of a place to stay...and did I mention unable to recoup the millions of baht you poured into the home in the purchase...furniture...and so on...

And who does not love to see foreigners displayed as moronic villains in the press...TV...and movies...

what country invites poor folk to come and stay??

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif The United States!!!

dreamer

That's weird. I've never been asked to show how much money I have and I've been here nearly 6 years now.

No one's ever asked to check my Thai bank accounts

I've never been scammed; If I couldn't rid myself of the ridiculous obsession with owning property, I could easily buy a condo in my own name and cash out with the profits - market conditions permitting.

90% of Western men who buy/build property in their Thai wife's name are complete and utter morons and deserve to be hosed and sent packing if only as punishment for their sheer stupidity when there are so many highly-publicised horror stories floating around.

Yes. Thailand is the place for me

I came out here to further my interest in bird-watching. I have found a particular liking to the the brown coloured, short legged varieties mostly native to the north and north-east areas of the Kingdom.

No sighting of the lesser spotted tit yet?

Saw my first brown tit last week.

Feed it some nuts?

• Like 1

So yes the weather, the people, easy lifestyle, no big brother atmosphere, moderate cost of living, great place to raise children, not many foreigners (in my area anyways) and good food.

Are you nuts? Jamaica is paradise it has dancehall. Have you visited the yardmen? Garrisons? Have you attended passa passa?

There are many countries. Plenty of good places to go on holiday and many retirement havens.

If you did not have a Thai wife/ girl friend/business are there actually any good reasons for living here rather than somewhere else?

Many countries which are non-christian and non-moslim and where the sun shines 300+ days/year and where temperature never goes below 20C?

And no, I did not have Thai wife/gf/business or whatever.

I did work all over North-America, Europe, The Middle-east and Asia and did not like the kind op people I had to deal with. (well most of the time, did meat a handful of nice people though, maybe 5?)

Thailand seemed the only place I traveled to/worked where I would enjoy staying some time.

It's been full 12 years now and considering moving somewhere else.

Facing only two issues: adopted a now almost 3 years young baby girl two years ago and abandoning her to low life Thai village life (I can not take her with me, legally or otherwise) and would not know which other country to go live in.

Edited by tartempion
  • Like 1

I fell in love with Thailand on my first trip here in 1978. There are so many things about the Land of Smiles that make it exciting, peaceful, & in some cases unique. To name a few:

1. Friendly, non-aggressive, gentle people

2. Fantastically beautiful girls

3. Awesome Night life

4. Beautiful scenery (e.g., Laem Promthep at sunset)

5. Delicious food

6. Inexpensive

7. Non-police state

8. Sexy school-girl uniforms (did I already say beautiful girls?)

9. Prime location: 2 -hours flight to Manilla, close to Kuala Lumpur, etc

10. Safe: a girl can go walking alone at night in most provinces outside of Bangkok

11. No religion in your face. Hearing Buddhist chants is definitely not the same as being brow-beaten to death by those who are religious, which in the U.S. is politicians, TV ads, TV shows, radio talk show hosts, your neighbors, etc.

12. Other than perhaps Bangkok, you don't need a car to survive. In the U.S. it is essential.

There are exceptions, of course. I knew a man from Lebanon who hated Thai food, & I knew a U.S. marine captain who disliked Thai women. I submit, however, that your chances of having an enjoyable life in Thailand are probably better than anywhere else; that is, if you can let go of western judgmentalism at the border.

Sure, you can find other countries with some of these benefits, but I challenge you to find one with all of them.

• Like 2

I fell in love with Thailand on my first trip here in 1978. There are so many things about the Land of Smiles that make it exciting, peaceful, & in some cases unique. To name a few:

3. Awesome Night life

5. Delicious food

6. Inexpensive

7. Non-police state

10. Safe: a girl can go walking alone at night in most provinces outside of Bangkok

11. No religion in your face. Hearing Buddhist chants is definitely not the same as being brow-beaten to death by those who are religious, which in the U.S. is politicians, TV ads, TV shows, radio talk show hosts, your neighbors, etc.

12. Other than perhaps Bangkok, you don't need a car to survive. In the U.S. it is essential.

There are exceptions, of course. I knew a man from Lebanon who hated Thai food, & I knew a U.S. marine captain who disliked Thai women. I submit, however, that your chances of having an enjoyable life in Thailand are probably better than anywhere else; that is, if you can let go of western judgmentalism at the border.

Sure, you can find other countries with some of these benefits, but I challenge you to find one with all of them.

Agree with all the positives. Yes, Laem Promthep is indeed very nice with sunset.

1 can take the foreigner out if its country but cant take the country out of the foreigner. Everybody judges, thais too therefore. Things changed, at least for me, by having kids and later going to school.

Again agreeing with your positives, except............

I fell in love with Thailand on my first trip here in 1978. There are so many things about the Land of Smiles that make it exciting, peaceful, & in some cases unique.

I submit, however, that your chances of having an enjoyable life in Thailand are probably better than anywhere else; that is, if you can let go of western judgmentalism at the border.

Agree with all the positives. Yes, Laem Promthep is indeed very nice with sunset.

1 can take the foreigner out if its country but cant take the country out of the foreigner. Everybody judges, thais too therefore. Things changed, at least for me, by having kids and later going to school.

And there's the rub. It's our own hangups, especially our inbred need to judge others based on standards we've applied to ourselves, that interferes with our ability to find true happiness.

Regarding Thais also being judgemental, we'll have to disagree on this. My impression of Thais is that they don't prejudge others on an automatic basis like we do in the west, except perhaps as related to cast. Yes, they do for "face" purposes (e.g., I knew a 19-yo Thai girl who told my wife & I that she had no problem sleeping with a 60-yo farang, but that she could never go out in public with him). But perhaps by virtue of their Buddhist beliefs, they don't come across as judgemental. I have seen exceptions to this, especially when a Thai has been around foreigners for a great deal of time. E.g., a Thai general I know spent time at Langley; at times, you almost can't tell he's Thai.

After the first 6 months, financial reasons.

I would gladly move back to San Francisco if I could afford my previous lifestyle without downgrading.

I hope I can get over there for Christmas this year and spend some time with folks who have some morals.

why dont you spend time with people wth morals in thailand??

• Like 1

I fell in love with Thailand on my first trip here in 1978. There are so many things about the Land of Smiles that make it exciting, peaceful, & in some cases unique.

I submit, however, that your chances of having an enjoyable life in Thailand are probably better than anywhere else; that is, if you can let go of western judgmentalism at the border.

And there's the rub. It's our own hangups, especially our inbred need to judge others based on standards we've applied to ourselves, that interferes with our ability to find true happiness.

Regarding Thais also being judgemental, we'll have to disagree on this. My impression of Thais is that they don't prejudge others on an automatic basis like we do in the west, except perhaps as related to cast. Yes, they do for "face" purposes (e.g., I knew a 19-yo Thai girl who told my wife & I that she had no problem sleeping with a 60-yo farang, but that she could never go out in public with him). But perhaps by virtue of their Buddhist beliefs, they don't come across as judgemental. I have seen exceptions to this, especially when a Thai has been around foreigners for a great deal of time. E.g., a Thai general I know spent time at Langley; at times, you almost can't tell he's Thai.

IMO you are wrong about Thais not prejudging. The difference between "them and us " is only that they keep it to themselves, innerthoughts, and/or only with fellow thais/trusted 1s. To think otherwise is naive. This especially concerning thais living abroad. Only my humble opinion though. Example; a month ago i spoke with fammember of wife, who lives in Scandinavia, about an American on a subject. She referred immediately, yes money was part of subject we were talking about, ahhhhh americans " cheap charly ".

3. Awesome Night life

5. Delicious food

6. Inexpensive

7. Non-police state

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS

Non Aggressive gentle people?? Have you ever had a disagreement with a Thai person

Beautiful girls and better night life in many places. For tedium and lack of 'talent' try Mae Hong Son or Nakhon Si Thamaratat 19.00 on a Saturday night

Scenery and sunsets good I agree

Food pretty monotonous

Expensive nowadays..see other threads about this

Is a Police State. Remember Thaksin was a policeman and think about your relations with Immigration

Safe. No girl in their or their family's right mind goes walking after dark particularly in the provinces

Religion in your face and local government through loud speakers at 06.00

Have you tried living in a provincial city let alone in the countryside without a car?

Yup. I have lived in a provincial city and the countryside without a car. No problem. Tuk tuk, taxi, song tau, motorsci taxi. Get some phone numbers if it is a problem. I call daily, any time of the day or night and no problem. A lot different styles of Thai food. If you have not found one you like keep trying. My home land is 500% more expensive than Thailand. My Last GF was a cop and the muggers were afraid of her. I have no loudspeakers near my home. If I did I would move.

• Like 1

But is it 25% of the cost anymore? If you consider comparable levels of living and luxury/materials, I don't think so. I wish it were and if you know how to do it, please tell me. Otherwise, I think Thailand does give you the option to live at 25% of the cost you would back home, if you accept some major standard of living compromises.

I agree regarding medical and dental treatment but that's one small part of COL. My apartment in Chiang Mai, would probably be 2x more to maybe 2.5x more in a comparable area in a comparable city in the States (not NYC, not a rural town). That's as big of a savings as I can see and it's the majority of my overhead monthly. And I'm still coming up short in some aspects of quality in my current place at that savings.

A lot of things--major expenses--are not only not as low as 25% of the cost or even merely less expensive in Thailand . . . a lot of our major expenses are actually more. The electricity is at least double based on similar usage and that's a big expense. Cars? Double. Alcohol, quadruple.

So aside from housing, what else is cheaper in Thailand and is as cheap as 25%? Produce? Maybe at the market, but not 25% of what it is back home in a comparable environment (grocery store to grocery store) because produce is pretty cheap there too.

One last thing though, I agree you can live here relatively comfortably for 25% of what you spend in the west, so long as you are willing to make material sacrifices. It is certainly possible to keep your overhead low. My disagreement is only where you said "same standard of living."

From the Countries in SE Asia I have visited, Thailand is the best.

Same Standard of Living as I had in the State at 25% of the cost,, no cold weather,

The Thai people I have met are nice, I respect them, they respect me, Lots of

Western food and products, interesting to learn more of the Thai Culture.

I avoid all the Drunks and nasty "know it all" farangs from the States, Europe,and Aust.

I did that in the States too......Life is good here in LOS.

OK, so you have to put up with the BIB....no big deal, play by the rules...........

If you should need medical treatment, excellent and inexpensive.

Edited by JepSoDii
  • Like 2

After the first 6 months, financial reasons.

I would gladly move back to San Francisco if I could afford my previous lifestyle without downgrading.

I hope I can get over there for Christmas this year and spend some time with folks who have some morals.

Lack of morals = tourism.

I came here for work. Honestly I would probably have decided to go back home by now if it wasn't for one redeeming feature - how easy it is to bang girls.

Banging a giggle.gif with ease is nothing to feel proud about. Everyone can do it.

Free sex is much easier to find in the West.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

But is it 25% of the cost anymore? If you consider comparable levels of living and luxury/materials, I don't think so. I wish it were and if you know how to do it, please tell me. Otherwise, I think Thailand does give you the option to live at 25% of the cost you would back home, if you accept some major standard of living compromises.

I agree regarding medical and dental treatment but that's one small part of COL. My apartment in Chiang Mai, would probably be 2x more to maybe 2.5x more in a comparable area in a comparable city in the States (not NYC, not a rural town). That's as big of a savings as I can see and it's the majority of my overhead monthly. And I'm still coming up short in some aspects of quality in my current place at that savings.

A lot of things--major expenses--are not only not as low as 25% of the cost or even merely less expensive in Thailand . . . a lot of our major expenses are actually more. The electricity is at least double based on similar usage and that's a big expense. Cars? Double. Alcohol, quadruple.

So aside from housing, what else is cheaper in Thailand and is as cheap as 25%? Produce? Maybe at the market, but not 25% of what it is back home in a comparable environment (grocery store to grocery store) because produce is pretty cheap there too.

One last thing though, I agree you can live here relatively comfortably for 25% of what you spend in the west, so long as you are willing to make material sacrifices. It is certainly possible to keep your overhead low. My disagreement is only where you said "same standard of living."

Gasoline (1 liter) Chiang Mai 39.00 ฿ San Jose 32.95 ฿ -15.52 %

Basic (Electricity, Heating, Water, Garbage) for 85m2 Apartment

Chiang Mai 2,111.32 ฿ San Jose 5,191.26 ฿

Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant CM 45.00 ฿ SJ 374.16 ฿ +731.47 %

Meal for 2, Mid-range Restaurant, Three-course CM 500.00 ฿ SJ 1,870.80 ฿ +274.16 %

When I lived in CM I had a condo and a crash pad. The crash pad downtown was really groovy and really cheap except for no ac; which was OK for a crash pad it gave me that native feeling

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=United+States&city1=Chiang+Mai&city2=San+Jose%2C+CA

Consumer Prices Including Rent in San Jose, CA are 192.89% higher than in Chiang Mai

• Like 1

I don't get this. If you're standard of living was just so good back home and so affordable that you just can't bear to live without it in Thailand why even live here? Why move from that perfect life in the first place?

This is Thailand why not try and enjoy it for what it is rather than trying to recreate this 'perfect' lifestyle from back home.

Yes rent is a bargain here.

I live in a central (yet small studio apartment but I don't spend that much time in it) apartment in Bangkok with all mod cons with pool, gym, poolside bar & restuarant, 2 other restaurants, mini mart, massage place, hair salon, 2 laundry shops and more. 8 minutes walk to BTS.

8,000B per month. I certainly couldn't get an apartment for that price, in that sort of location with those sort of facilities close to the main public transport for anywhere near that price.

I pay 1-2,000B for bills (water and electricity as Wifi and cable is free). Another bargain.

However I don't understand how you spend so much more on alcohol. Alcohol is dirt cheap out here, how are you spending quadruple what you would back at home?

I haven't had to make any material sacrifices personally because I didn't have much in the way of material belongings anyway.

I sold all my sh*t years ago. Never regretted it. Have clothes, a bag, laptop and phone...what else can a man need? Oh yes beer and women. Have plenty of those too. ;)

What is it you feel needs to be sacrificed to live cheaper here than back home? No gadgets or 'things'? Better off without them mate.

• Like 2

Gasoline (1 liter) Chiang Mai 39.00 ฿ San Jose 32.95 ฿ -15.52 %

Basic (Electricity, Heating, Water, Garbage) for 85m2 Apartment

Chiang Mai 2,111.32 ฿ San Jose 5,191.26 ฿

Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant CM 45.00 ฿ SJ 374.16 ฿ +731.47 %

Meal for 2, Mid-range Restaurant, Three-course CM 500.00 ฿ SJ 1,870.80 ฿ +274.16 %

When I lived in CM I had a condo and a crash pad. The crash pad downtown was really groovy and really cheap except for no ac; which was OK for a crash pad it gave me that native feeling

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=United+States&city1=Chiang+Mai&city2=San+Jose%2C+CA

Consumer Prices Including Rent in San Jose, CA are 192.89% higher than in Chiang Mai

Appreciate the reply as it gives me a reason to think about what I might have missed Agree that San Jose, CA is a good basis for comparison with Chiang Mai.

But remember I was talking comparable quality & luxury, specifically not what was "attainable". And I was talking about how 25% cheaper for the "same standard" of living isn't. Even where it's cheaper in Thailand (I agree it is in many areas), it's much than 25% of back home equivalents, except medical dental.

* Although your quote of about 2.5x power/utilities is in line with my main claim that it's not 25%, I also said power is basically more here. I seriously doubt your figure reflects equal running of aircon for example. I run the aircon only at night in CM (in summer) and I spend the same as when I run it all night and day in the US summer. That makes Thailand double.

*Inexpensive restaurant comparison: while we all know it's possible (barely) to have a very small 45B outdoor meal in Thailand while sitting in 100 baht chairs and 200 baht tables, this is far from a comparable experience in San Jose or anywhere else for 374B. You get a MUCH larger meal for 375B in the USA, many more calories, high quality ingredients and more comfortable seating in higher quality chairs.

Your mid-range is closer in line with what I would agree with, and it's not the 400% I claimed doesn't happen (by disagreeing with the poster I quoted), but I still think you were a bit "stretchy" with the SJ cost @ 1870. Mid-tier restaurants roughly equivalent to 500B places in Thailand would cost more like 900-1200B in the US ($30-40, not $60 as you claim). I say it's 50% in Thailand of a true comparable in the US. 500 vs 1000B.

CPI at 192.89% greater, I pretty much agree with that but it still doesn't take into account absolute equivalents in comparable levels of luxury and comfort. When you do, that means Chiang Mai is at least half of SJ. Right in line with what I was saying. I was disputing another poster's notion that the same standard of living could be had in Thailand for 25% of western countries. Not that Thailand is overall "cheaper" than western countries. That's not in dispute. It's just the amount.

• Like 1