Why be in Thailand?

laolover88

Gasoline (1 liter) Chiang Mai 39.00 ฿ San Jose 32.95 ฿ -15.52 %

Basic (Electricity, Heating, Water, Garbage) for 85m2 Apartment

Chiang Mai 2,111.32 ฿ San Jose 5,191.26 ฿

Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant CM 45.00 ฿ SJ 374.16 ฿ +731.47 %

Meal for 2, Mid-range Restaurant, Three-course CM 500.00 ฿ SJ 1,870.80 ฿ +274.16 %

When I lived in CM I had a condo and a crash pad. The crash pad downtown was really groovy and really cheap except for no ac; which was OK for a crash pad it gave me that native feeling

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=United+States&city1=Chiang+Mai&city2=San+Jose%2C+CA

Consumer Prices Including Rent in San Jose, CA are 192.89% higher than in Chiang Mai

No fair. San Jose is the Bay Area. It is Silicon Valley. It is excessively expensive even for the USA. It, and its immediate surrounds are the home of Ebay and Cisco and PayPal and so many others. CM is a shit hole by comparison.

I will agree that one can live cheaper in CM than most places in the US if you give up the Western lifestyle and amenities. If you want the Western amenities, cars, electronics or foods, they are cheaper in the US.

There is nothing wrong with moving to Thailand on a budget and doing fine. But let's not pretend it is what it isn't.

Why would that not be fair? I know CM is much nicer to live in than San Jose but why is it not fair to compare the two? Chiang Mai has more colleges I imagine and more college girls available for dating and better health and dental care but why not compare the two. I lived in both places. CM has better night life and nicer people but why not compare the two? I had a driver and car on call 24/7 for peanuts in CM and I don't think I could have done that in San Jose but why not compare the two? A haircut in CM costs me $3 and in San Jose $30 what is that percent difference? A night out for dinner and drinks with a dazzling go go dancer in CM costs me $100 and in San Jose $1000 dollars what is that percent difference? A lot of things in CM are hard to compare because San Jose does not have them, like mountain top Wats or hot springs and beautiful waterfalls and of course 50,000 plus college girls. I can teach Nuclear Physics at a college in CM and teach Nuclear Physics at a college in San Jose, why not compare the two? Calling CM a "shi*****" mommy should wash out your mouth as that is not only not true but not nice. Try coming to CM before you trash the place. Anyone who calls CM a "shi******" in comparison to San Jose has not been to one or the other.

• Like 1

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I and lots of other posters have bought their houses in their wives names, does that make us morons, who deserve to be hosed and stupid? You are talking out of your arse pal. I don't agree with those rules, I cannot speak for other posters, but for me I would still rather buy a house in my wifes name after taking months to find out what her and her family are like, than live in the overtaxed, very expensive to live in UK with it's dreadful weather, among many other negatives. You cannot go through life without taking chances, financially and otherwise, and so far everything has worked out for me.

That a lot of other posters have bought houses in their wives' names only proves that your particular strain of stupidity is obviously airborne.

If I'm getting you right, you think that a few months spent evaluating a Thai woman and her family before buying a house in her name constitutes sufficient due diligence before effectively awarding her stewardship of a substantial sum of your money right??

I don't really think I need to go on.

90% of Western men who buy/build property in their Thai wife's name are complete and utter morons and deserve to be hosed and sent packing if only as punishment for their sheer stupidity when there are so many highly-publicised horror stories floating around.

Not quite right ......

In Thailand you put it in her name, in the western world the judge puts it in her name.

At least here, it's your choice.

Oh <deleted> geez, get over it.

I know loads of divorcees who kept the house and the lion's share of their money

You got hosed cos years ago, something in you - personality, demeanour etc - led your then-wife to believe that she could bend you over a barrel and part your buttocks.

You shouldn't have scrimped on the lawyer, mate.

HS, if you are not bright enough to understand the gist of my post, then that's up to you, and there is no point in trying to explain it to you, but as there is a few posters who have gave LIKES, it has not been hard for them to understand.

Gasoline (1 liter) Chiang Mai 39.00 ฿ San Jose 32.95 ฿ -15.52 %

Basic (Electricity, Heating, Water, Garbage) for 85m2 Apartment

Chiang Mai 2,111.32 ฿ San Jose 5,191.26 ฿

Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant CM 45.00 ฿ SJ 374.16 ฿ +731.47 %

Meal for 2, Mid-range Restaurant, Three-course CM 500.00 ฿ SJ 1,870.80 ฿ +274.16 %

When I lived in CM I had a condo and a crash pad. The crash pad downtown was really groovy and really cheap except for no ac; which was OK for a crash pad it gave me that native feeling

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=United+States&city1=Chiang+Mai&city2=San+Jose%2C+CA

Consumer Prices Including Rent in San Jose, CA are 192.89% higher than in Chiang Mai

No fair. San Jose is the Bay Area. It is Silicon Valley. It is excessively expensive even for the USA. It, and its immediate surrounds are the home of Ebay and Cisco and PayPal and so many others. CM is a shit hole by comparison.

I will agree that one can live cheaper in CM than most places in the US if you give up the Western lifestyle and amenities. If you want the Western amenities, cars, electronics or foods, they are cheaper in the US.

There is nothing wrong with moving to Thailand on a budget and doing fine. But let's not pretend it is what it isn't.

Why would that not be fair? I know CM is much nicer to live in than San Jose but why is it not fair to compare the two? Chiang Mai has more colleges I imagine and more college girls available for dating and better health and dental care but why not compare the two. I lived in both places. CM has better night life and nicer people but why not compare the two? I had a driver and car on call 24/7 for peanuts in CM and I don't think I could have done that in San Jose but why not compare the two? A haircut in CM costs me $3 and in San Jose $30 what is that percent difference? A night out for dinner and drinks with a dazzling go go dancer in CM costs me $100 and in San Jose $1000 dollars what is that percent difference? A lot of things in CM are hard to compare because San Jose does not have them, like mountain top Wats or hot springs and beautiful waterfalls and of course 50,000 plus college girls. I can teach Nuclear Physics at a college in CM and teach Nuclear Physics at a college in San Jose, why not compare the two? Calling CM a "shi*****" mommy should wash out your mouth as that is not only not true but not nice. Try coming to CM before you trash the place. Anyone who calls CM a "shi******" in comparison to San Jose has not been to one or the other.

I feel as if I'm being dragged down a black hole by someone who wants to argue the impossible. I'll give it one more shot - not for you, but for anyone who hasn't seen much of the US. It's usually not fancy, but rather built for quality, especially infrastructure and I mean everything from sidewalks to clean safe water.

The US lacks the beautiful hundreds-years-old buildings of Europe, and the wonderful cobblestone streets and all that goes with it. But the US has space - lots of space and you feel it. And yes, I've lived in Chiang Mai and I've been to Silicon Valley many times.

For anyone who's interested in what a clean, normal, US city looks like compared to Chiang Mai, here are a few shots.

Typical Chiang Mai.

post-164212-0-34891900-1384055628_thumb.

post-164212-0-48547900-1384055653_thumb.

Typical San Jose.

post-164212-0-15001600-1384055684_thumb.

post-164212-0-09254900-1384055698_thumb.

I feel as if I'm being dragged down a black hole by someone who wants to argue the impossible. I'll give it one more shot - not for you, but for anyone who hasn't seen much of the US. It's usually not fancy, but rather built for quality, especially infrastructure and I mean everything from sidewalks to clean safe water.

The US lacks the beautiful hundreds-years-old buildings of Europe, and the wonderful cobblestone streets and all that goes with it. But the US has space - lots of space and you feel it. And yes, I've lived in Chiang Mai and I've been to Silicon Valley many times.

For anyone who's interested in what a clean, normal, US city looks like compared to Chiang Mai, here are a few shots.

Typical Chiang Mai.

attachicon.gifdowntown1.jpg

attachicon.gifdowntown2.jpg

Typical San Jose.

attachicon.gifdowntown3.jpg

attachicon.gifdowntown4.jpg

You posted photos of Chiang Mai from http://aroundtheworldwithblade.wordpress.com/page/7/ Around the world with steve and tripwow trip advisor. Why don't you tell us what they had to say about Chiang Mai?

The USA infrastructure is an aging menace. Google 10 usa infrastructure we must fix now. Chiang Mai is a nice college and tourist town that costs 1/2 of what it costs to live in an aging US West coast. I recommend you go there in person and live for 6 months and then give us your comments. Or ask some of the posters here who have lived in both San Jose and Chiang Mai like I have.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

HS, if you are not bright enough to understand the gist of my post, then that's up to you, and there is no point in trying to explain it to you, but as there is a few posters who have gave LIKES, it has not been hard for them to understand.

Not bright enough to understand?

Nah! I discounted the possibility that you may have been being sarcastic and assumed you really were suggesting your no-clue diligence was enough to base such an important decision on.

That a few others "liked" your post just means they mistakenly detected a satirical slant to it.

Still, I guess I too would be proud of my ability to garner a few likes if I didn't know that popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity

• Like 1

Not bright enough to understand?

Nah! I discounted the possibility that you may have been being sarcastic and assumed you really were suggesting your no-clue diligence was enough to base such an important decision on.

That a few others "liked" your post just means they mistakenly detected a satirical slant to it.

Still, I guess I too would be proud of my ability to garner a few likes if I didn't know that popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity

I can't be very mediocre then because I don't usually get many likes.

before i moved to thailand i lived in a typical high unemployment high crime small town paying a hideous high rent for a worn down apartment in a semi ghetto area, needless to say i am not of high class and do not need high standards to be comfortable. This amongst many other things makes Thailand close to perfect for me and i do not know of any other place that would be better so here i am. On top of this my health has improved due to climate here and i have a nice gf with a bitchy teenage daugther, i can afford to keep this family to a decent standard here. At the moment everything is very ok for me so why be somewhere else.

• Like 1

wub.png And the question was NOTE THE BOLD AND COLOUR

There are many countries. Plenty of good places to go on holiday and many retirement havens.

Most people, I guess, live, until they are old, where they can work or have 'family'.

If you did NOT have a Thai wife/ girl friend/business are there actually any good reasons for living here rather than somewhere else???????smile.png

Edited by laolover88

There are many countries. Plenty of good places to go on holiday and many retirement havens.

Most people, I guess, live, until they are old, where they can work or have 'family'.

If you did NOT have a Thai wife/ girl friend/business are there actually any good reasons for living here rather than somewhere else???????smile.png

I met a lady from Sweden once. I think it was in 70 or 72 and she lived here in Thailand. She said she liked the weather. smile.png

Yes there are.

I don't have a Thai wife/girlfriend or kids - just a few interesting "gikships".

I don't have a job or a business here.

I have good reasons for living here. I like it, I'm used to it, it's cheap and I like the people

xwub.png.pagespeed.ic.t6VK2lAcPd.webp alt=wub.png width=20 height=29> And the question was NOTE THE BOLD AND COLOUR

If you did NOT have a Thai wife/ girl friend/business are there actually any good reasons for living here rather than somewhere else???????xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.TZt5dYe8BC.webp

Yes there are.

I don't have a Thai wife/girlfriend or kids - just a few interesting "gikships".

I have good reasons for living here. I like it, I'm used to it, it's cheap and I like the people

Much the same as me.

No one female, no kids, no job or business.

I just like it on the whole.

It's warm, it's cheap, the food is good, Bangkok is an interesting city to live with lots to do, good nightlife and very safe, I like slim and feminine women of which are in abundance here, the infrastructure and internet is good, I find the Thai people to be pretty agreeable on the whole.

It's a good place and I can live well without spending too much.

Why not be here?

• Like 1

xwub.png.pagespeed.ic.t6VK2lAcPd.webp alt=wub.png width=20 height=29> And the question was NOTE THE BOLD AND COLOUR

If you did NOT have a Thai wife/ girl friend/business are there actually any good reasons for living here rather than somewhere else???????xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.TZt5dYe8BC.webp

Yes there are.

Much the same as me.

No one female, no kids, no job or business.

I just like it on the whole.

It's warm, it's cheap, the food is good, Bangkok is an interesting city to live with lots to do, good nightlife and very safe, I like slim and feminine women of which are in abundance here, the infrastructure and internet is good, I find the Thai people to be pretty agreeable on the whole.

It's a good place and I can live well without spending too much.

Why not be here?

that pretty well answers his question! short and sweet