Spare cyuranic acid

PoolDoctor

A client of ours wants to sell up to 6 drums of spare cyuranic acid. 44kg each drum, 100% CYA stabilizer for salt water pools or liquid chlorine pools. Can be piecemeal or together. A good price for hard to find pure CYA. It does not evaporate by the way, top it up only 1x per 3 months or so.

If you don't know, CYA is second only to salt in importance for salt water pools. Why? The chlorine from a generator is unstabilized, and flashes off quickly. This makes the generator work harder to maintain an acceptable free chlorine level. Stabilize it with CYA, and then drop the production rate down significantly, lengthening the lifetime of your cell. My pool uses a tiny generator (5x10m pool) and even at 2-3 meters away, I can whiff chlorine due to nice CYA levels. I keep production at 40% and the Zodiac cell is 6 years old with no sign of giving up. Anyway, PM me if interested or [email protected]; as a favor to my client we will deliver to anywhere in BKK or Pattaya.

Gil

I can't see anyone wanting to lay back a huge stock of CYA at those prices. 6 drums is probably more than the entire demand in Thailand for one year (or even more). For those using salt water chlorinators, for a medium sized pool just adding the occasional TCCA tablet or some granules will probably supply all the CYA that's needed. It's also a good idea to set the pumping times during the evening. Be better to invest in a cheap CYA test kit first and see what is really needed.

I can't see anyone wanting to lay back a huge stock of CYA at those prices. 6 drums is probably more than the entire demand in Thailand for one year (or even more). For those using salt water chlorinators, for a medium sized pool just adding the occasional TCCA tablet or some granules will probably supply all the CYA that's needed. It's also a good idea to set the pumping times during the evening. Be better to invest in a cheap CYA test kit first and see what is really needed.

At what prices? Also, one drum is 44kg. Are you saying all of Thailand only uses 264 kg of CYA per year?

At what prices? Also, one drum is 44kg. Are you saying all of Thailand only uses 264 kg of CYA per year?

if all Thailand uses as much cyanuric acid as i do the usage will be zero.

I am not a big fan of replacing my salt water cell every 2-3 years, so I keep chlorine production down with external CYA. Here is a technical data sheet from AquaCheck detailing the importance of CYA. Just because people don't know about it, doesn't diminish the need for it.

Interestingly the article you have helpfully posted supports a reasonably low level of Cyanauric (30-50ppm) as being the target range. That's reasonably consistent with some academic research article I found and posted earlier this year. In fact that article included an observation, based on testing in the Phoenix area (hot like here), that 25ppm of CyA was just as effective in stabilising chlorine as say 80pmm. Guidance in many pool chemical sources seem to imply that levels around 60 ish are ideal (and that you should dilute the pool to cap the levels at no more than 80ppm)

That article also emphasised the importance of adding it to chlorinated pools (that includes salt water chlorinated as of course you would know Doc, but some newbies assume to be a different type of sanitisation). The article you posted mentions that CyA helps to reduce pH. The other article came at that with a slightly different twist, stating that CyA "assists in stabilising" pH levels.

Whatever I don't think there can be much doubt that CyA is good for your chlorinated pool!

Incidentally for anyone who wants to get an idea of how rapidly CyA levels build up or dilute away, I converted this year from a manually fed cheap chlorine powder form of sanitation (trichlor whatsit 90%) to a salt chlorinator format. Trichlor of course includes a CyA dose and my CyA levels rose over the 30 months from new build to date of format switch from nil to 90ppm, at which point I diluted the pool back down to 75 and switched to salt chlorination. That natural build up is one of the downsides to using trichlor (and many other direct chlorine applications), since nobody likes giving away 20% of their pool water to the garden or drain every couple of years or so. Three months later, with no CyA added (basic TRS pool salt does not include a dose and I was happy with that given I had high levels to start), my CyA levels have indeed declined - reducing from 75 to 37 (for an 87,000 litre pool). I shall be in the market for CyA very soon (but 44kg sounds a bit unmanageable, sorry)

Edited by SantiSuk

• 1 month later...

Quality salt water chlorinators certainly do not need their cells changing every 2 or 3 years.

I know of Zodiac (fully guranteed 3 years), Hayward, and Emaux units that have been in operation without any problem whatsoever for at least 8 years. Any problems are usually associated with very incorrect pH balance that builds up calcium deposits in the cell at a rate that the self-cleaning feature cannot cope with.

To add CYA to a salt water chlorinated pool, it will often suffice to occasionally add some powdered, granular, or tablet chlorine which already includes CYA. The retail price of CYA here in Thailand (if you can get it) is disproportionately high for the requirement. Be sure to use T.C.C.A which is chlorine specially marketed for pools.

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping proper levels CYA in the pool is one of the most important aspects of managing a salt water chlorinator treated pool. Even I was amazed at the difference it makes. My family and I once rented a house in Pattaya where I installed a salt water chlorinator years ago (I had a spare used one). We were continually getting "blobs" of black algae in the white grout lines (this is an eyesore for any good pool guy) and I was continually scrubbing the pool. Once I introduced external CYA though, the ORP levels rose quickly, and it seemed that the algae could not get a foothold (no pun). The pool cleared up immediately (2 days) and no more scrubbing.

By the way, we sold it all so i am not selling anything anymore!

• 5 months later...
I keep production at 40% and the Zodiac cell is 6 years old with no sign of giving up.

It would be interesting to get some more details on that like, size of the SWG, volume of the pool and the amount of hours you run your pumps everyday. Also if your pool has much sun or not.