Hazard For Brits Returning To UK

TC1

If some of you learnt to answer the questions asked by customs or immigration minus the attitude then you would encounter a lot less problems.

what if you ask a question and get no answer is that right also. or are we supposed to be robots and not get afffended. Most of it is intmidation.

Like Someone said they asked so many stupid questions. like " did u pack this bag yourself sir, "

Answer " no i have a magical fairy that packs my bags for me every time i go away" ask a stupid question get a stupid answer..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-k5h8arZYM

watch and learn lol

Or you could just say 'yes' and save yourself the grief.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't relate to it I'm afraid, I was brought up to respect authority and my time in the service reinforced that, I've lived my life accordingly and I've never had a problem. From time to time I go back to the UK where I have a home and I never have a problem, Customs, Immigration, Police whoever, they might stop me and ask me a question and I answer politely and truthfully.

Whilst at home I have reported an event to the police on two occaisions in twenty years, both times they came out and were polite and very thorough, never a problem in my 63 years. So you'll see, it's difficult for me to accept that some folks think it's OK to verbally abuse Customs staff and all the other things we've discussed here. Since my world is so trouble free I have to wonder why yours is not and before you even go there, I would not be inclined by anyone to be fobbed off or abused by anyone. Actually, thinking back, there was a time in the late 1960's in London where I had the misfortune to see someone shot and killed in a pub, the trial at the Old Bailey needed me as one of several witnesses but unfortunately I was working night shift at the time. I was called to give testimony at 11:00am some five hours after finishing work and I was exhausted, after I was sworn in the judge admonished me for showing up in his court looking so disheveled and bleary eyed, my response to him was that his reprimand was uncalled for and inappropriate given I had voluntered my presence and was working nights, his response was a slight smile and a nod of the head.

I often get stopped at Heathrow - maybe I look a bit bedraggled after a long trip from the house in Thailand - and I always have extra tobacco in my bag. I have my laptop computer, several hard drives and thumb drives too.

The staff have always been courteous and have never confiscated my baccy which is usually 3 times the limit. I simply tell them I am back for a while and it is for my own personal use.

After asking where I have come from and why and where I am going, they do tell me they are looking for drugs and firearms. The search of my baggage is thorough. I am sent on my way with a smile and a thank you from the C&E officer.

If you or your demeanour is suspect they will search you and your bags. If during that search your attitude does not feel right to them they will start to question you. Maybe your attitude changes during the search and questions. Little tell tale signs the C&E pick up on. That makes them more suspicious. Maybe that was the case with you.

• Like 1

I can't relate to it I'm afraid, I was brought up to respect authority and my time in the service reinforced that, I've lived my life accordingly and I've never had a problem. From time to time I go back to the UK where I have a home and I never have a problem, Customs, Immigration, Police whoever, they might stop me and ask me a question and I answer politely and truthfully.

Whilst at home I have reported an event to the police on two occaisions in twenty years, both times they came out and were polite and very thorough, never a problem in my 63 years. So you'll see, it's difficult for me to accept that some folks think it's OK to verbally abuse Customs staff and all the other things we've discussed here. Since my world is so trouble free I have to wonder why yours is not and before you even go there, I would not be inclined by anyone to be fobbed off or abused by anyone. Actually, thinking back, there was a time in the late 1960's in London where I had the misfortune to see someone shot and killed in a pub, the trial at the Old Bailey needed me as one of several witnesses but unfortunately I was working night shift at the time. I was called to give testimony at 11:00am some five hours after finishing work and I was exhausted, after I was sworn in the judge admonished me for showing up in his court looking so disheveled and bleary eyed, my response to him was that his reprimand was uncalled for and inappropriate given I had voluntered my presence and was working nights, his response was a slight smile and a nod of the head.

well it looks like someone else has exposed themself. The reason why you have not had problems is because you belong to the same family.

I know it does not make an officors life easier when dealing with a problem person but that profession is not the only proffession where you have to deal with nightmare people.

If you are writing story based on your own experience based on someone who worked in that feild then you are not looking from both sides of the coin as you have never seen the life from the civilian point of view. right and wrong is not what we are forced to accept what is right and wrong by a peice of paper that says what a " person " can or cannot do.

What is right is standing up for your rights and not backing down in the face of authority, or a clivilian, or who ever tries to do you or your family wrong.

The law that governs the UK is not common law and we are miniplulated into thinking that we have to obay these corperation laws but we are not.

Anything that is not common law you do not have to appear before a judge for. Only if you manipulated by the police into making a contract binding you to the corperation of the UK.

Commonn Laws are, not to murder steal, rip people off, basic things. All other laws fake and if you can look into this you can actually write your own constitution and chage the police, customs with illegally detaining you and tell them that you are charging them 500 pounds an hour for each our that you have been illigally detained/ kidnapped which is written in your own constition that you shall not be alloud to be assulted by any police officer neither be detained.

you then take the police to the civil court and sue them

you shall win as you have made your own laws

you know that you do not own anything in UK even your body is signed over to the government the moment you are born on your birth cirtificate which means that the government can do what they like to you. even take you from your parents as you are property of the government.

The car you own. You do not own that car. you are the registrant not the owner. the government own it.

• Like 1

I guess your vote is "bend over"

...whilst the vote of many here seems to be, challenge authority wherever it is found, do not co-operate with it and be abusive towards it where possible.

I've always gone the confrontation route, never had the chance with Immigration or customs, they always ignored me.

But the police, yeah, go for it. The police are easy targets, 3 written complaints about a police officer and he loses his chance of promotion forever. Not to mention you can chock up tens of thousands of investigation fees for his constabulary.

If they want to play, I'm game.

(OK so last time it did cost me a couple of nights in custody, but it cost them 120kGBP in investigation fees for my complaints, 8 officers investigated and a complaint on each of their records, and 10 grand compensation for me.)

Easiest 10 grand I ever earned!

Are you proud of that?

I don't know about him, but I should have made an official complaint about the nasty female PC that humiliated me in front of a crowd of people unnecessarily and without due cause, and I'd have been really happy to see her get booted out of her job for being a really bad police woman.

One reply deleted to allow posting.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

I often get stopped at Heathrow - maybe I look a bit bedraggled after a long trip from the house in Thailand - and I always have extra tobacco in my bag. I have my laptop computer, several hard drives and thumb drives too.

The staff have always been courteous and have never confiscated my baccy which is usually 3 times the limit. I simply tell them I am back for a while and it is for my own personal use.

After asking where I have come from and why and where I am going, they do tell me they are looking for drugs and firearms. The search of my baggage is thorough. I am sent on my way with a smile and a thank you from the C&E officer.

If you or your demeanour is suspect they will search you and your bags. If during that search your attitude does not feel right to them they will start to question you. Maybe your attitude changes during the search and questions. Little tell tale signs the C&E pick up on. That makes them more suspicious. Maybe that was the case with you.

I am not saying they are all bad but in every walk of life you get bad apples in authority and civilians. If anyone who is from that same power of authority denys that sometimes these people can be wrong and intimidating for no reason tells me that something is wrong. As that person is branding everyone in that trade as a good person.

This is the same person who knows his rights and knows what to say and what not to say. All this person has to do is mention he used to be a policeman and the costoms shall not bother someone who knows their rights. they want him out

well it looks like someone else has exposed themself. The reason why you have not had problems is because you belong to the same family.

Say what, I'm "one of them" because I spent a couple of years in the service, 45 years ago, right! I've got news for you, a persons response to authority is something that develops based on a variety of things, upbringing, environment, education, intelegence and intellect plus experience of life itself, doubtless there are other factors. But let me assure that guarding tanks in Catterick Tank Park in the dead of winter is not one of the major ones. My sence however BigC is that a few months guarding those tanks would stand you and us in very good stead!

<I was brought up to respect authority and my time in the service reinforced that>

Hmmmmm. My time in the "service" made me loathe "authority", as "authority" was composed of a bunch of wannabe hitlers and useless incompetents.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 2

<I was brought up to respect authority and my time in the service reinforced that>

Hmmmmm. My time in the "service" made me loathe "authority", as "authority" was composed of a bunch of wannabe hitlers and useless incompetents.

Yes I agree to some extent although looking back I kinda enjoyed it and it did give me a sence of discipline that was sadly missing beforehand, I still think that a couple of years of service would beneifit most teeneagers although now we digress perhaps too far!.

Immigration stamps on passport pages are pretty random and they might only
look at where you've been in the past but If you have a stamp on your last page,
that might cause alarm. (Depends where. top, bottom, middle, right or left)

So how ever nice and polite one might be, that could trigger extra questions.

Edited by JoeLing

Say what, I'm "one of them" because I spent a couple of years in the service, 45 years ago, right! I've got news for you, a persons response to authority is something that develops based on a variety of things, upbringing, environment, education, intelegence and intellect plus experience of life itself, doubtless there are other factors. But let me assure that guarding tanks in Catterick Tank Park in the dead of winter is not one of the major ones. My sence however BigC is that a few months guarding those tanks would stand you and us in very good stead!

that just does not make any sense. I do respect authority. I am not happy that some people in authority feel it is their job to humiliate people and push people and intimidate people with no just cause. i have said time and time again that i do not have a problem with the police as a whole as there are some honerable people who do use their inteligence to see what might be a real threat and what is a pathic abuse of power like examining lighters for cannibis resin.

Normally well trained officors should have a real method of sniffing out real trouble makers.

And specially do not like being told what to do by a nnon born Brit. Being interigated and having someone asking you questions are 2 different things.

Why not say what your problem is in the first place instead of camouflaging it?

• Like 2

when the police get the boot. It is slightly miss preceived. Getting sacked makes the person happy but for real they just get the sack from that position and moved around, they are sneaky people. For example if the Cheif Commissioner was to be sacked. he would not be sacked as we know it. Just moved position

• Like 1

that just does not make any sense. I do respect authority. I am not happy that some people in authority feel it is their job to humiliate people and push people and intimidate people with no just cause. i have said time and time again that i do not have a problem with the police as a whole as there are some honerable people who do use their inteligence to see what might be a real threat and what is a pathic abuse of power like examining lighters for cannibis resin.

Normally well trained officors should have a real method of sniffing out real trouble makers.

And specially do not like being told what to do by a nnon born Brit. Being interigated and having someone asking you questions are 2 different things.

Ask yourself BC, why do you have problems and I don't, you're not a racist by any chance, are you?

enough has been said. it was just a warning based on his own experiences.

he does not have to answer that as there seems to be some fishing on here.

Message to the opps. please warn me if i say something a bit far fetched as i do have the tendancy to get carried away sorry

i do have the tendancy to get carried away sorry

We noticed! facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif alt=facepalm.gif width=24 height=18>cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

typical when things get hot then pull out the rasist card. One of the reasons i left England. I want to know if you liked your few years in the force so much then why did you leave. you weren't sacked were u????? Oh no don't tell mme u were not really in the force maybe the equiviliant of those community police 45 years ago. Maybe you were the tea boy? It does not make any sense why if one loved the force so much then why would they leave. The only other reason is medical.

reasons for leaving after doing a job you loived so much are

a) u were never in the force, maybe u did some national service or something who knows

B) you were sacked

c) health issues possibly mental but who am i to judge i am not being affensive as being mental is no different that having a broken arm or leg. just an assumption which we seem to be basing most of this arguement on.

For all you know i could have been in the force, i could have been working in customs but if you were a policeman who only worked on assumptions rarther than facts then god help us all

And while we are at it: I'm OK if you (police/customs) want to stop and search me, ask me questions, search my home/possessions etc and so on, it's their job and they need to be allowed to do it, as an innocent person I'm OK with it all, others who are not may not be, but whilst they are trying to provide security for me and my family, it's not the time for me to introduce principles into the discussion!

But who's going to protect you from them after you have willingly surrendered all your rights?

I'm not surrendering anything, I'm assisting the law enforcement agencies in the execution of thier remit, I'm providing my co-operation.

I don't need protection from the people who are trying to protect me, I need protection from the people who are trying to harm me, if the composition and remit of those groups ever change then I will align with the group that is trying to protect me. Rather than trying to protest their indignation at having been stopped by people who are trying to do their jobs and potentially save my life, why not just help them do it, it reminds me of when I was a rebellious 16 year old trying to push back against authority, silly.

A silly debate at best, morononic at worst!

Seizure of any traveler's computers and data by customs for reasons not related to national security is too high a price to pay for "protection".

Any person doing work on a computer is threatened by this.

I'm a programmer, webmaster, photographer... there is no way the internet in Thailand is fast enough for me to FTP everything to my computer in Switzerland, so I'm partially dependent on the data storage I carry with me.

I would agree to give them one hour of time to search devices. If they find nothing... let people go with their devices.

Catching the odd paedo here and there is not worth crippling honest people's lives. The paedos will get caught another way anyway.

If the post helps even a single person to avoid having the same experience of inept Border Agency officers from exceeding their authority, then I consider it was well worth it. What I have actually benefitted from is many of the comments. Clear is that some people thing that their limits are everybody's, and that because they don't need to carry data that is important to everyday use, nobody should. The seizure rules also say that a person who has documents seized is entitled to a copy of them. The same must surely apply to device-stored documents. This has not occured. I thank Bruce Smith for the Frank Zappa 'kneeling down is different than bending over' quote. What appears obvious is that some people prefer the latter. The 'negatives' appear largely absent in the last round of posts. I would like to thank them, 'Chiang Mai', 'Woolyetc' and 'Joe Ling' in particular for moving me to put this in my new store of thoughts:

'The ego of a man who fears to go against the odds will not only cause him to find an excuse for his fear, but often to also condemn anybody who doesn’t have it.' (TC)

It will also get him through customs and onto his destination more quickly.

If the post helps even a single person to avoid having the same experience of inept Border Agency officers from exceeding their authority, then I consider it was well worth it. What I have actually benefitted from is many of the comments. Clear is that some people thing that their limits are everybody's, and that because they don't need to carry data that is important to everyday use, nobody should. The seizure rules also say that a person who has documents seized is entitled to a copy of them. The same must surely apply to device-stored documents. This has not occured. I thank Bruce Smith for the Frank Zappa 'kneeling down is different than bending over' quote. What appears obvious is that some people prefer the latter. The 'negatives' appear largely absent in the last round of posts. I would like to thank them, 'Chiang Mai', 'Woolyetc' and 'Joe Ling' in particular for moving me to put this in my new store of thoughts:

'The ego of a man who fears to go against the odds will not only cause him to find an excuse for his fear, but often to also condemn anybody who doesn’t have it.' (TC)

Much more worrying is the fact that customs most probably did not abuse their authority.

They need their authority curtailed.

• Like 1

@Chiang Mai: "Ask yourself BC, why do you have problems and I don't..."

Chiang Mai, somebody who never crosses the road will never have the problem of risking getting run over.

Prolific, TC1, stunningly prolific, in future perhaps buy your fortune cookies from another shop!

Much more worrying is the fact that customs most probably did not abuse their authority.

They need their authority curtailed.

I do not have a problem with you I do find it interesting listening to both sides of the coin

I am interest of you are born and bread Brit hence that racist accusation towards me?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

@Chiang Mai: "Ask yourself BC, why do you have problems and I don't..."

Chiang Mai, somebody who never crosses the road will never have the problem of risking getting run over.

Prolific, TC1, stunningly prolific, in future perhaps buy your fortune cookies from another shop!

'Prolific'? Mix up in words maybe?

Thanks to the OP and many others for their experiences in Customs checks in various countries!

Also saw how many just seemed to want to increase their post counts, and also the need for a spell checker here - if there is one, I apologize for not being able to find it.

• Like 1