Don't Stop for an Accident!

SpokaneAl

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't matter when there are immediate claims of wrong doing and the police need to hold someone during their initial investigation.

Many Thai people don't stop because they know that they could end up being extorted for everything they have.

Got a problem with that, move out of the jungle and back to a developed society with real police and judicial processes.

Many Thais do not stop, what a load of rubbish, have you ever seen an accident with the crowds gathering for a little bo peep?

There are sheep in Thailand?

Yes! Theres a sheep farm near Pattaya lol

Isn't that the big draw to Pattaya?36_12_6.gif

the very sad thing is that we are even discussing this issue. the human thing to do is stop and help, if you can not do that because there are predators around that can get something out of the local Thais and guest in their country , then there is something wrong with the system in place here it does not work , and makes people not act like civilized humans.

• Like 1

Why would you care about a random stranger on the road?

Such compassion!

*Inflammatory remark edited out*

Why would you care about ...anyone but yourself???

Please keep your distance.

Edited by Scott
Inflammatolry remark edited out

Actually the same with giving to charities.

A few years ago gave some baht to the blind man singing while being led by his wife. Then watched as they walked down the road, got into their own tuk tuk and he drove off.

So not a baht more to anyone.

Amazing how becoming more Thai makes you a more selfish, uncaring person.

Odd that, eh.

You've been here 5 minutes and now more Thai laugh.png

Every single post from you is designed to portray Thai's at their worst........did she take you for a bundle?

Get over it!

Them reading skills of yours aren't so good, are they farang.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/678784-dont-stop-for-an-accident/page-3#entry6991475

in the Dominican republic , ( an island in the caribbean) generally the police are figuring out how they can profit from anyone surrounding an accident ......generally ..... So the solution i once made when a reckless driver slammed into a post , with his girlfriend behind him on a three wheeler , was had help placing them in my pickup and took them immediately to a Good Clinic! Once they were safely inside , i quietly and quickly , left the area , and never looked back . ... Help but Try not to end up being Helpless, victim, nieve, sucker for anything ,if someone points at you ,....... COMMON SENSE ...... Catch my drift .... may not work like this though here in THAILAND.

post-167617-0-58945600-1383377362.jpg

Edited by Wimbledon

I have been held responsible for an accident that was not my fault and had to pay for it in the past.

I'm not saying I would or would not stop and help if I came upon an accident.

I would need to decide that on the spot 'considering the circumstances at hand

I too fear being unjustly blamed.

I know I would have the natural impulse to stop and assist.

As a fire fighter, I was a "first responder "and responded to many accidents ( some rather horrific) over the years.

I can understand not stopping for fear of being blamed.

I can not understand anyone who asks " why should you care about someone else?"

Only a sick, self absorbed, monster could see something like this and not care!

Unless you are inhuman and have no feelings.........

You could not stop, but still care.

I agree with you, but one one point. Calling another person a sick, self-absorbed monster plays into their court. I would perhaps describe them as uncaring and self centered on this particular subject only. The posters statement alone speaks volumes about his character and his value of human life, much better than I can in my own words.

I've responded to a report of "A man down", only to find it was an animal that had been hit. I gave a degree of compassion to an animal, so why wouldn't I do the same and more for a human?

My cell phone has a camera and video recorder, both of which would come in handy should things turn south.

Stay safe All.

I was sitting in my house once. Watching tv. Heard a loud bang outside and some drunken cretin in a motocy - local taxi man- had hit opposite neighbors klong jars and shattered it and had a big cut.

My dad stopped him from trying to start his bike as there was blood everywhere and it spurted out when he tried.

We got attention of other motocy and they got the wife / gf and they went to hospital and my dad gave them money for taxi.

Later they turned up and blamed us for his accident.

Unreal!!!

These sort of threads certainly bring out the budding fiction writers.

Hard to tell fact from fiction. I read, enjoy and learn. I leave judgement to the courts and not the court of opinions.

Live and let live.

I was sitting in my house once. Watching tv. Heard a loud bang outside and some drunken cretin in a motocy - local taxi man- had hit opposite neighbors klong jars and shattered it and had a big cut.

My dad stopped him from trying to start his bike as there was blood everywhere and it spurted out when he tried.

We got attention of other motocy and they got the wife / gf and they went to hospital and my dad gave them money for taxi.

Later they turned up and blamed us for his accident.

Unreal!!!

Similar in the USA. My wife was involved in an accident, the other driver admitted guilt. A day later her husband called my wife and said it the wife's fault.

Dishonesty and the lack of ethics is worldwide from my experience traveling the Big Blue Marble.

I have heard and read horror stories about accidents – recently there were a thread here at TV about a case in Lamai, Koh Samui, where a farang was beaten up for helping a flower girls hit by a vehicle.

I live at Samui, where traffic accidents are more common than most other things. I always stop, if no one is there to help – even my girlfriend in the beginning always said: »Don’t stop!« Some times I may see some people looking from a distance, but for one or other reason not getting close and helping. However, I cannot do much, but I can indeed call for an ambulance if needed, and I can give some kind of assistance until experts arrives. With the huge number of accidents at this little island I have stopped many times and also called for assistance quite a number of times – and I have so far never experienced any problems. If there are a lot of people already, I of course don’t stop – no reason I will just be in the way.

If something ever happens to me, I hope somebody will stop and help – or at least call for assistance.

• Like 2

A few months ago three students on a motorcycle pulled out of Dowroong school with no helmets headed towards Chalong with no helmets on, the driver was weaving around in the road and I thought this was accident ready to happen, sure enough the bike went out of control and knocked down two other motorcycles, one with a mother holding an infant, there were lots of scrapes and bruises, this was across from the small Lotus center where I was going to shop, I parked at Lotus, walked across the road and shamed the 3 idiots who caused the accident.

You neglected to mention whether the mother and the infant were wearing helmets?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It seems the prevailing attitude of Thais, is as outlined by another poster, that "the accident would never have happened if the falang hadn't been there" Scarey isn't it ?

Scary is only the way how some foreigners interpret this sentence. It's originally a court order that came from a court in Pattaya at least 20 years ago.

A foreigner,who'd rented a car drove down a road in Pattaya, where a Thai guy, driving on the wrong side, and as far as I remember drunk, crashed into the foreigner's car and died.

The court ruled that the accident wouldn't have happened, if the foreigner wouldn't have been there at this time. So he was partly guilty.

But times are definitely changing, even in Thailand. Haven't heard such bs since then. But the old story still seems to go through all bars.

That's scary.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

Everybodys experiences are different, but it would seem that it would be risky to stop at an accident. Just say there is a one in five chance someone will try and get money from you after you stop at an accident you are not involved in, and I think that is very realistic. would you still stop?

With my wife and sister in law as witness Yes.

Yes , you are right, in the same circumstances. I would too.

Absolute rubbish!

I've stopped to assist at two accidents since I've been here and the people were very grateful.

If I have an accident I hope someone will assist me, but I'd rather not find out.

Why does this BS scare mongering keep popping up?

Well put, uptheos.

I too have assisted Thai people involved in accidents, received lots of thanks and never been hit with extortion. My wife and I helped a young lady who fell off her bike after hitting the back of a songteow, right in front of McCormick Hospital. Even Thai people who helped as well thanked me. My wife would have killed me if I did not stop to help her.

To answer your question "Why does this BS scare mongering keep popping up?"...............I believe there is a little bit of fact combined with a big load of BS and the chronic Thai bashers who infest bars all over Thailand, and this forum, get their jollies by running down the country, it's people and their culture. Hence the scare mongering.

I would be happy if the posters who specialize in breaking Rule #8 all got banned from the site, along with the trolls. clap2.gif

In African countries even embassy staff tell you, you DO NOT STOP if having an accident no matter what happened. You go first to the embassy of your country and then they start sorting it out. If you stop, you risk getting beaten up, robbed or even worse by the gathering mob. That is the reality in many "developing" countries and Thailand is one of them.

Especially in the Thai countryside, if you are the only foreigner around, you end up paying the bill very likely. In Pattaya, Phuket the cops are a bit more honest in dealing with accidents because of usually multiple eyewitnesses, both Thais and foreigners. Thanks to also the volunteer tourist police.

Edited by Timwin

Especially in the Thai countryside, if you are the only foreigner around, you end up paying the bill very likely.

Hope you don't live in Thailand and enjoy driving around the "countryside" as I do. You don't know what you are missing out on ! biggrin.png Happy motoring !

I too have assisted Thai people involved in accidents, received lots of thanks and never been hit with extortion. My wife and I helped a young lady who fell off her bike after hitting the back of a songteow, right in front of McCormick Hospital. Even Thai people who helped as well thanked me. My wife would have killed me if I did not stop to help her.

To answer your question "Why does this BS scare mongering keep popping up?"...............I believe there is a little bit of fact combined with a big load of BS and the chronic Thai bashers who infest bars all over Thailand, and this forum, get their jollies by running down the country, it's people and their culture. Hence the scare mongering.

I would be happy if the posters who specialize in breaking Rule #8 all got banned from the site, along with the trolls. clap2.gif

People here have told many different stories in which foreigner was the one ending up paying but you choose to ignore those stories! According to you, of course all those other stories are all bullshit! What a fool you are...

Edited by Timwin
  • Like 1

If you have hired anyone (tuk-tuk, taxi etc) you as the passenger are also at fault legally.

Some recommendations advise to exit and quickly run in this situation.

If helping at an accident as a bystander, why not just render assistance and leave when others arrive?

Not much chance of getting caught, unless you leave locally I suppose, or are frail. There's nothing really to lose by running if you did not do anything wrong.

Ever wonder what it would be like to be a thai guy with a small tool, who sees all the good looking women with farang day in and day out?

Seems like it would cause a lot of inferiority complex and nastiness.

Read my post again, Dimwin, this time s-l-o-w-l-y . I said "there is a little bit of fact combined with a big load of BS", meaning some of the stories you hear are true, regarding farangs being extorted, and these are the ones which these clowns focus on. Do you ever hear Thai bashers talking about people like me who actually stop and help accident victims and not get ripped off ? No, and you won't either.

Now go and have a nice cup of tea and a lie down. biggrin.png

Actually the same with giving to charities.

A few years ago gave some baht to the blind man singing while being led by his wife. Then watched as they walked down the road, got into their own tuk tuk and he drove off.

So not a baht more to anyone.

Amazing how becoming more Thai makes you a more selfish, uncaring person.

Odd that, eh.

You've been here 5 minutes and now more Thai laugh.png

Every single post from you is designed to portray Thai's at their worst........did she take you for a bundle?

Get over it!

Them reading skills of yours aren't so good, are they farang.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/678784-dont-stop-for-an-accident/page-3#entry6991475

My reading skills are excellent, I just don't believe you farang. wink.png