"Big Buddha" days in Isaan Nov 1 - ?

spec4

Does anyone know of a listing of the "Big Buddha" days in Issan so I can be elsewhere during those times?

My house is an hour south of Si Sa Ket and the bass from five giant speakers on a tower more than a story high at a house that is not that close has been booming for more than 24 hours so far. I rode past there on my bicycle early this morning and only a few people were around. I'm blaming the farangs to some degree because the music is coming from a farang built house that is providing the financing. I was happy to contribute 5,000 baht for new robes for the monks but don't care to contribute to the noise. My suggestions to pay to have the bass turned down have been ridiculed.

I've done everything I can think of to mitigate the boom boom of the music including using super block on the house walls, buying expensive double pane windows from Bangkok, using the best Bose noise- canceling headphones, taking small does of valium, etc., but nothing seems to help.

If I just knew when the local Buddhist holidays are it would help. The noise for weddings, funerals, becoming a monk, going into the army, blessing a house, etc. pose a problem that is harder to anticipate.

The Thaivisa calendar is helpful in general, but not in this case.

Thanks,

- Roger

've done everything I can think of to mitigate the boom boom of the music including using super block on the house walls, buying expensive double pane windows from Bangkok, using the best Bose noise- canceling headphones, taking small does of valium, etc., but nothing seems to help.

And you have done all this in the past 24 hours ?

My house is an hour south of Si Sa Ket and the bass from five giant speakers on a tower more than a story high at a house that is not that close has been booming for more than 24 hours so far.

I assume that you're talking about Boon Ka Tin / Boom Pa Waet (I'm not sure of the correct name, there's two which have similar names).

Whereby basically after Ook Pan Sar (End of Bhuddist Lent) families will organise a celebration in honour of someone who has previously passed away, I think usually someone who has passed away in the last 2-5 years. The bigger the celebration, the bigger the amount of honour which is given to the deceased. From memory I think the celebrations usually last for 2-3 days. From what I remember the celebrations are organised in consultation with the local temple, whether that's to find a lucky day or simply dates when the monks are available I'm not sure.

But in general, there's no calendar of events, since the celebrations are up to each family, rather than a national calendar or similar.

Often only family members or friends of the close relatives know in advance what is happening, although you might get a day or twos notice if your wife listens to the PuYai Baan's broadcasts on the loudspeakers. Your best bet is probably to either go away for a week or two, as I think the "season" for them should be finished soon. Alternatively just endure it, your neighbours shouldn't all be having the celebrations, although I remember last year there were ALOTTTT in my town because flooding of other family members villages (Not our town itself) had dampened their spirits in the previous year or two.

Also Loy Krathong is next week on the 7th I think. So there will likely be a parade etc, although unless you're close to the river/lake where they launch the krathongs, it's unlikely that you'll hear too much noise from that (Except maybe the parade for a few hours).

Apologies if I've given a bad phonetic for the festival names, or have used the wrong names, there are soo many festivals around this time of year that I get them all mixed up.

• Like 1

I can fully empathize with you. I often think a/b getting a hotel room somewhere. I too use sound suppressors regularly. I feel like I'm living in a circus. Oh and then there's the chicken/roosters/dogs/ and people conversing from one house to another. :-) TIT (village life) eh?

I don't think there is really any rime or reason when "celebrations" happen. But would also love a definite calender of events.

• Like 1

I can fully empathize with you. I often think a/b getting a hotel room somewhere. I too use sound suppressors regularly. I feel like I'm living in a circus. Oh and then there's the chicken/roosters/dogs/ and people conversing from one house to another. :-) TIT (village life) eh?

I don't think there is really any rime or reason when "celebrations" happen. But would also love a definite calender of events.

All too true