olympic weightlifting

mitaovervliet

Hello Mita, welcome to the forum.

Dante99 was being facetious .

Chiang Mai isn't "busting" with olympic weightlifters.

The availability of gyms isn't all that good either. In the past there have been the overpriced "California Wow" type fitness places. How many are still operating, I don't know. But I doubt that's what you are looking for anyway.

There are probably many Thais who lift weights. But they would do it alone or in small groups. I don't think they would pay gym fees.

One possibility is Chiang Mai University [CMU].

My daughter's fiance recently graduated and was active in sports. I'll ask him about weight training facilities there, and get back to you if anything is available.

Good Luck.

Only place I've seen it is at the old 700 year stadium in the city, and that was only once. There is a room next to the very old and cheap gym under the stadium seating, which I have only seen open one time, and that was when there was a group of people training olympic weightlifting. I suspect it's not used much, but it could also be that they only open it for a few hours every day when the group comes to train.

If you are going to stay long enough for it to be worth your while, I guess you could bring somebody who speaks both Thai and English with you to the gym under the stadium and ask the guy manning the reception there. Since it's right next to where I saw the olympic lifters, he would at least know if they actually are training there, and it was not just a one-off occurrence as I suspect.

Other than that, I have never seen anyone doing olympic lifting anywhere in CM, except when the world championship was here some years back of course. That was held at the new 700 stadium btw, and I suspect there is a better chance of finding it there, but too far away for me to frequent it.

• Like 1