Why are thais so religious? Does religion serve a purpose?

snake24

Religion's purpose:

1. To offer solace, guidance and help to those in need

2. To offer a moral framework for those who can't figure out basic right from wrong

3. To offer a community for like-minded people who share values, aspirations etc

Spirituality is often contrasted with religion:

1. Path of personal transformation ie gaining wisdom, compassion, higher consciousness...

2. Expanding the bubble/box of awareness and deepen respect for life - actually, it's awe and amazement...

3. Train and purify the mind of the hatred, anger, contempt, fear and the private hell one has created

Buddhism:

1. Meditation is the preferred practice and most direct means

2. Ordinary folk and householders can't dedicate the time so acts of kindness, generosity, respect for living things is effective

3. Also, attuning one's mind to Buddha consciousness through ritual, devotion, contemplation in the temple is very beneficial

Usefulness:

When people practice their religion with an open heart and sincerely, the world is a little more peaceful and less crazy. Just in America over a third of the population suffers from a mental disorder.

When things go wrong:

Organizations (even large ones) are vulnerable to the temptation to become cults, closed systems. A cult when it becomes authoritarian, autocratic and without checks and balances is a very dangerous animal...

When governments hijack a religion, it becomes a political entity often more concerned with money, power, influence etc

Some people fail and others succeed in their efforts - always a few bad apples...

You mentioned this

Religion's purpose:

1. To offer solace, guidance and help to those in need

2. To offer a moral framework for those who can't figure out basic right from wrong

3. To offer a community for like-minded people who share values, aspirations etc

yet why does it seem that farang are abandoning their religion. They don't need solace or guidance anymore? They don't need a community anymore?

Usefulness:

When people practice their religion with an open heart and sincerely, the world is a little more peaceful and less crazy. Just in America over a third of the population suffers from a mental disorder.

Ok a 3rd of the US suffers from some type of disorder but are those the religious nuts or the ones with no religion?

Here's something else i noticed.

In the US and the west there are these well ppl that are really anti religion and of course they vehemently oppose the religion of the west the most which is christianity and of course indirectly all religions but they truly hate christianity they think it's all hogwash.

Yet in asia i believe they have such people these ppl still retain respect for thai religion regardless if its animism, buddhism or the chinese or the hindu elements.

You see what i mean. In the US you have guys like bill mahar who ridicules christianity as some idiot on a cross yet you would never ever see a thai person go on tv and ridicule the elephant headed god even though there should be thais that think it's just plain silly superstituous nonsense.

Snake24 - Good questions but also quite complex but I'll make a few points

Farang abandoning their religion:

1. World is changing very rapidly ie Globalization, Information explosion, human rights etc. Religions that have resisted adjusting and changing are losing relevancy.

2. Trust - As hypocrisy, corruption and scandals come to light, religion, as a whole becomes questionable.

3. There is a deep ideological conflict taking place between the ideology of materialism and the subjective point of view. Materialism says only the material world of things is real. Thus, Marx can say religion is the opiate of the masses and scientists can dismiss and disparage people's experiences. Subjectivity is the dimension of human experience and is at the root of many movements such as the environment. The conflict has entered the political arena where things get very nasty. The conflict is often protrayed in movies ie the Matrix, Star Trek, man vs machine etc...On world stage this is played out - Mao and the destruction of Tibet, Pol Pot and genocide, Stalin and ruthless supression, North Korea etc. The subjective side is not doing too well.

4. While religion is regarded and criticised as a social phenomena, at root it is not. But rather it is a deep personal affiliation, a point of view that reflects one's deepest values and aspirations...It does not have to be played out in a religious organization which often distort it.

Mental disorders:

It's across the board - nuts of all persuasions and types...

Religion is not just organized religion. Majority of people in America now say "I am spiritual but not religious" Obviously, organized religion has failed to keep up with the times and needs of the people...

Opposition to religion:

I love Bill Mahr but he is talking here about organized religion which deserves the criticism he serves up. This is religion that has become political, unwilling to change and pursues an empire building agenda. Bill is a master of satire and loves to dethrone the 'sacred cows" He is mirroring the intolerance and hypocracy of some religions. Freedom of speech and political satire are democratic traditions in West. East, not so, it has always been more authoritarian but you can see Thai society struggling for a more open society today..

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reformation, inquisition, Pol Pot, Mao, Sunni vs Shia, Romans vs.... , 6 different crusades, Vietnam war, slavery.... Egypt now against coptic Christians.... beheading of English soldier a few months ago in London, current atrocities in Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan.....

running out of keyboard keys...want me to go on?? Seriously?

Yeah here we go, please enlighten me about the Crusades because to my knowledge and it is certainly not very limited in regards to this era, religion was the only defence, not the offence at that time.

The beheading of the English soldier, Sunni vs Shia, now we are moving into a different territory but sure we can discuss that if you are up to it.

However I do want to question one of the subjects you brought up... "slaves", seriously?

Are you so ignorant of past history? The bible was used as a leaning post to justify slavery to America. GO back to primary school to learn history. I cannot teach it to you.

You asked how, when and who uses religion as an excuse for war and pain, and I answered it ten-fold.

Talk about generalizing, no I asked you about the Crusades. You still haven't answered that one and chances are you won't. The bible was used, which says to me some people used it as an excuse to justify their means. Not that it says in the bible it's justified, correct?

your ignorance of therevadan buddhism is embarrassing

My guess is you don't know much about Theravada Buddhism either. Going to a temple, talking to a monk, and lighting a few candles doesn't make you knowledgeable about the religion -- and Buddhism IS a religion.

My fathers family were staunch Catholics and my mothers family were liberal Jews. My father was an American GI stationed in England during World War 2, and thats where he met my mum. He took part in the D Day landings

My father once told me that when my parents married back in 1945, they had to endure the wrath and strong disapprovals from both sides of the families. Many relatives refused to give them their blessings and refused to attend the wedding. It took years before my paternal grandparents and material grandparents drew up a truce and actually met as a family.

Luckily for me both my parents never imposed any of their religious beliefs onto my siblings or me and I was left to decide which religion I preferred to follow later on when I reached adulthood. As for religion, I don`t want to know. As far as I am concerned religion is the curse of the human race. All it does is separate people and probably more people have died in the name of religion than for any other cause. Both Catholicism and Judaism are based on fear. For example, if you do wrong, God will punish you.

I was once criticised by an uncle for not following the Jewish faith. I explained to him that if God did not come to the rescue of the Jews during WW2, a time of their greatest need of help in the whole of history, than lets face it, he`s never going to come, is he? I told my uncle that the Jewish God probably perished in the gas chambers of Auschwitz along with the Catholic God, who is the same God.

One does not have to follow any particular religion in order believe to God.

The problem with many religions, such as in Thailand, is that it can go hand in hand with nationalism and then it can become political, such as with the Muslims in the deep South.

Religion for some people is really just a crutch to lean on, who prefers to place their faith and well-being in some mythical power rather than themselves. It doesnt really belong in a scientific civilised world and while it continues to exist in it`s present form, there will always be conflicts and this great divide among people.

Regarding Buddhism in Thailand, there are no problems providing it is practised in moderation, something like drink and drugs, but once religion turns fanatical, this is when the problems begin.

In answer to the question: does religion serve a purpose? In my opinion, no, it does not.

Unfortunately it's a crutch many people feel the need for.

I guess whichever country you come from, whatever religion is instilled by the family.

I work in Iraq which everyone assumes is a Muslim country but has a surprising lot of Christians. Have had a lot of deep discussions and the consensus is there is only one God (not for me anyway) whatever your so-called religion is.

If I had to choose a belief it would be Buddhism.

I am happy to go to temples and worship with the family.

Why is anyone religious? And does it serve a purpose? The amount of bizarre singling out of "The Thais" on TV is truly amazing/pathetic. Take people one at a time, and judge them on their merits.

In Thailand they do judge people on 'their merits'.

Allow me to use a quote we use in Africa, a lot.

"When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said "Let us pray." We closed our eyes. When we opened them, we had the Bible and they had the land."

I grew up in a Christian household as well, but with the little exposure and travel I have had, I came to realise that religion marks one of the major contributions to the downfall of the human race.

Thais are, as you mentioned, very religious. But most of them portray deeds that are extremely opposite to the doctrines of their religion (Buddhism).

Thailand, for example ranks as one of the leading countries with the highest alcohol consumption rates in the world. Thais pray and offer sacrifices before they leave out to sell their bodies on the streets, and then come back and pray once the sale has been made. A taxi man will 'wai' at the intersection with a temple across, and then proceed to overcharge you for the taxi ride. A sex massage shop owner has a small statue that she prays to and offers sacrifice to inside her shop.

Of course there are many genuinely religious Thais out there, who mean well and understand the true meaning of buddhism, but majority of them are in it to gain material wealth.

they dont pray, they dont offer sacrifices and they are no more sinful than any other nation. nd there may be some thais that understand the true meaning of buddhism, but you dont.

I might not understand the true meaning of buddhism (I think religion is all right, but not necessarily ideal in the contemporary world), but I am certain that they offer sacrifices, they pray and many are seriously 'sinful'.

Allow me to use a quote we use in Africa, a lot. [/size]

"When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said "Let us pray." We closed our eyes. When we opened them, we had the Bible and they had the land."[/size]

I grew up in a Christian household as well, but with the little exposure and travel I have had, I came to realise that religion marks one of the major contributions to the downfall of the human race.

Thais are, as you mentioned, very religious. But most of them portray deeds that are extremely opposite to the doctrines of their religion (Buddhism).

Thailand, for example ranks as one of the leading countries with the highest alcohol consumption rates in the world. Thais pray and offer sacrifices before they leave out to sell their bodies on the streets, and then come back and pray once the sale has been made. A taxi man will 'wai' at the intersection with a temple across, and then proceed to overcharge you for the taxi ride. A sex massage shop owner has a small statue that she prays to and offers sacrifice to inside her shop.

Of course there are many genuinely religious Thais out there, who mean well and understand the true meaning of buddhism, but majority of them are in it to gain material wealth.

they dont pray, they dont offer sacrifices and they are no more sinful than any other nation. nd there may be some thais that understand the true meaning of buddhism, but you dont.
I might not understand the true meaning of buddhism (I think religion is all right, but not necessarily ideal in the contemporary world), but I am certain that they offer sacrifices, they pray and many are seriously 'sinful'.

Like all religions it's big business too. The more you sin the more you pay.

Thai's are not that religious imo... Or, i have not come accross many that are... 1 obvious (to me) example: My mrs proclaims herself as a Buddhist.... but, i wouldnt know that if she didnt once, 2-3 months ago, ask me to take her to temple.... she mentioned going a couple of times since... everything else has won the battles so far

Go the the United States.... Work in the bible belt for a few months and then come back to me...

minimum, 1 out of 4 people I would meet would believe the earth 6000 years old, evolution is a lie as its a theory (I hope people here get why thats a lol), and that adam and eve is factual and the rapture is coming....

Edited by x0r1987
  • Like 1

Just about everyone in Asia is religious/superstitious. One one hand it's childish nonsense, but on the other it's part of the culture that attracts us to the place in the first place.

Oh puleeze, Just about everywhere in Europe & Latin America suffer from the same problems, how many are attracted to these places to practice worshipping to dead people, buying scallop shells to put on their chest to prove they made a pilgramage to some place that contained "sacred relics", dont want to be placed in "purgatory" (can you please provide a reference in any bible that mentions the place).

You want to see sickos, head to the Philipines, where the devout get themselves nailed to a cross, notice how their church has never condemned the practice.

Its cheap pussy that attracts some of these 400 lbs misogynists, love it when they come to these forums and complain about some girl with no more than a P4 education ripping them off.

Nice. Another one that doesn't suffer from the one sided view and agrees that superstituous and religious nonsense is also apparent in other regions of the world.

But does suffer from the one sided view about "400 lbs misogynists"

Allow me to use a quote we use in Africa, a lot.

"When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said "Let us pray." We closed our eyes. When we opened them, we had the Bible and they had the land."

wrong

My guess is you don't know much about Theravada Buddhism either. Going to a temple, talking to a monk, and lighting a few candles doesn't make you knowledgeable about the religion -- and Buddhism IS a religion.

well then you guessed wrong.

My only hope for humanity, is that all of the worlds children, for 2 generations, not be taught any form of religion.

that will not mankinds propensity toward violence one iota.

Maybe not, but it will help us advance as a species and stop us wasting time and resources on childish fantasies.

My only hope for humanity, is that all of the worlds children, for 2 generations, not be taught any form of religion.

Your pompous certainty about the future leads me to ask of you a favour, please:

can you give me the winning numbers of the three richest lotteries in the world coming up soon. Or, failing that, can you tell me whether I would be better off buying cheese in Big C or in Tesco?

Why is anyone religious? And does it serve a purpose? The amount of bizarre singling out of "The Thais" on TV is truly amazing/pathetic. Take people one at a time, and judge them on their merits.

Ummmmmmm. It's THAIvisa.

But you know what, I have a real problem with camerons tax policy. Care to discuss.

Edited by metisdead
Flame edited out of post.

Not by the standard definition of a religion it isn't.

I'll make this easy. Buddha was a man born of this earth and Buddhists are not meant to worship him.

See the difference now?

• Like 2

Still no one approaching for a debate, how odd coffee1.gif just shows how the atheists need to pick a fight about something they don´t know much about... history. Their knowledge was taken out of context from Hollywood movies and now want it to get justified. How sad and pathetic... really.

There is nothing wrong with Buddhism and perhaps you should study about it first before you open the floodgates that hold all that trash. That some Thais have failed, like some Christians have failed to grasp the essence of it can hardly be put on the religion (although I don't like to use that word) but on the people themselves. Would you tell the Dalai Lama who is just more than a devoted Buddhist that his "religion" has done nothing but caused violence and dismay?

Edited by maxme

Your pompous certainty about the future leads me to ask of you a favour, please:

can you give me the winning numbers of the three richest lotteries in the world coming up soon. Or, failing that, can you tell me whether I would be better off buying cheese in Big C or in Tesco?

i can tell you a number of things youd be better off doing but I enjoy it here

Maybe not, but it will help us advance as a species and stop us wasting time and resources on childish fantasies.

yeah we noticed how well the soviets and khmer states advanced without religion!! hahahahaha

yeah we noticed how well the soviets and khmer states advanced without religion!! hahahahaha

The soviets and other commies just substituted their own gods for the old ones, very religious.