Why are thais so religious? Does religion serve a purpose?

snake24

Its so disappointing to read posts from people who seem to be living here, but take little interest in the beliefs,culture or values of their adopted 'home'. Thais are entitled like anyone else to their own beliefs. Instead of asking why? try asking how does it help? - and yes buddhism is a philosophy -of life, not a religion.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddhism is not a religion it is a philosophy , right speech right thoughts right actions and the middle ground is there way.

Humans have a way of defining, labelling, I always was amazed how TGF's can do the incense and prayers every time we walk past the shrine at centre world or a temple yet have no real idea of Buddhism and what its meant to be.

I was bought up a catholic and long ago gave it away, Buddhism is the reason I first visited Thailand, to see it first hand in action, sure they seem to practice it but of course in reality its just like anywhere else, appearance is everything and that includes Islamic and Christian nations.

From Thai friends they have a limited knowledge of real Buddhism to study it they need to go to temple and do courses it seems, not sure but think there is little religious instruction given at school.

Religions always do well in underprivileged nations as Thailand emerges from 3rd world will be interesting to see in several generations just how many of your TGF's will take you along to the temple.

Previous TGF's and now my wife have and do take me to temples.

They/she don't like to explain anything though, Farang no need to know. I suspect they/she don't know too much either, based on rote and superstition.

Seems a lot in Thailand have a more superstitious use of Buddhism rather than following it with a strict code or in a way of life that abides every thing that the religion preaches. I quite like the Thai's relationship with Buddhism although I would not say I have much knowledge of it. The only studying I have done on Buddhism (apart from some first hand experience in SEA) is read two books written by the Dalai Lama. Really enjoyed them, some really interesting philosophy to take from the religion.

Good comment, especially the superstition part. Very wrapped up with Thai Buddhism which is only one of their beliefs and not a religion per se.

Edited by Bpuumike

If going to the temple regularly is considered being so religious, then I disagree. To me, being so religious is to follow the rules and live the life of Buddhism (assuming that they are Buddhist) in which say no to alcohol, lie, adultery, kill, and steal. Only a handful of them can be considered so religious.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

If going to the temple regularly is considered being so religious, then I disagree. To me, being so religious is to follow the rules and live the life of Buddhism (assuming that they are Buddhist) in which say no to alcohol, lie, adultery, kill, and steal. Only a handful of them can be considered so religious.

then by your definition there are no religious jews, muslims or christians either

then by your definition there are no religious jews, muslims or christians either

Ah, you missed the word "so"

so add so

so add so
Being SO religious and being religious are not the same thing would you say?

as far as i know, there is no quantifiable definition of "so religious"

Being so religious is to be very strict and follow every rule in the bible, but being religious is to follow what you see fit. It is just my opinion anyway.

then by your definition, there is no one ive ever met could be classed as "so religious"

Being so religious is to be very strict and follow every rule in the bible, but being religious is to follow what you see fit. It is just my opinion anyway.

then by your definition, there is no one ive ever met could be classed as "so religious"

Can you define being religious then?

adjective
  • relating to or believing in a religion:both men were deeply religious and moralisticreligious music
  • (of a belief or practice) forming part of someone’s faith in a divine being:she has strong religious convictions
  • belonging or relating to a monastic order or other group of people who are united by their practice of religion:religious houses were built on ancient pagan sites

adjective
  • relating to or believing in a religion:both men were deeply religious and moralisticreligious music

• (of a belief or practice) forming part of someone’s faith in a divine being:she has strong religious convictions

• belonging or relating to a monastic order or other group of people who are united by their practice of religion:religious houses were built on ancient pagan sites

So, how do you classify the people who obey the 10 commandments or the 5 commandments And the people who attend church every Sunday but do not follow the rules in the bible?

adjective

So, how do you classify the people who obey the 10 commandments or the 5 commandments And the people who attend church every Sunday but do not follow the rules in the bible?

a hypothetical as ive never met anyone who obeys all 10 commandments all the time and I doubt any exist. but if they believe in a religion , i classify them as religious. if they dont then they are not religious

[quote name=AYJAYDEE" post="7023744"

timestamp="1384120797]as far as i know, there is no quantifiable definition of "so religious"

adjective

a hypothetical as ive never met anyone who obeys all 10 commandments all the time and I doubt any exist. but if they believe in a religion , i classify them as religious. if they dont then they are not religious

It's just a matter of opinion, isn't?

timestamp="1384120797]as far as i know, there is no quantifiable definition of "so religious"

adjective

no its not, the oxford ENGLISH dictionary gives a clear definition of the word "religious". I abide by their definition.

Being so religious is to be very strict and follow every rule in the bible,

That doesn't make sense to me, a native English speaker.

bingo!!

adjective

no its not, the oxford ENGLISH dictionary gives a clear definition of the word "religious". I abide by their definition.

Are you saying that as long as you believe in religion, you are religious? There is no different between practicing the teaching of the bible and simply just believing in religion, correct?

bingo!!

I heard people say it all the time that they are religious but not that religious or not so religious. They don't follow every rules or every commandments.

adjective

Are you saying that as long as you believe in religion, you are religious? There is no different between practicing the teaching of the bible and simply just believing in religion, correct?

you asked me how i defined the word religious. I gave the the definition of the word used by the OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY!! I accept their expertise in these matters. If you do not, that is up to you. However, English is my FIRST language. How about you?

adjective

you asked me how i defined the word religious. I gave the the definition of the word used by the OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY!! I accept their expertise in these matters. If you do not, that is up to you. However, English is my FIRST language. How about you?

Fair enough. No, English is not my first language, Thai is. Thanks for explaining (:

" Cold hearted orb that rules the night. Removes the colors from my sight. Red is grey and yellow, white. But I decide which is right and which is an illusion" Moody Blues. I think blue is the more beautiful color. My wife says yellow. I know she is wrong because I can see the difference with my own eyes.

" Cold hearted orb that rules the night. Removes the colors from my sight. Red is grey and yellow, white. But I decide which is right and which is an illusion" Moody Blues. I think blue is the more beautiful color. My wife says yellow. I know she is wrong because I can see the difference with my own eyes.

days of future past: nights in white satin! with the london philharmonic orchestra

I heard people say it all the time that they are religious but not that religious or not so religious. They don't follow every rules or every commandments.

The opposite of 'not so religious' is just 'religious' or more/very religious. 'So religious' makes no sense unless it's 'so religious that ...' etc.

The opposite of 'not so religious' is just 'religious' or more/very religious. 'So religious' makes no sense unless it's 'so religious that ...' etI

I guess I should have used the words "very religious" instead of "so religious." Thanks for explaining.

The opposite of 'not so religious' is just 'religious' or more/very religious. 'So religious' makes no sense unless it's 'so religious that ...' etI

I guess I should have used the words "very religious" instead of "so religious." Thanks for explaining.

you would have been better to use the word devout.