Why are thais so religious? Does religion serve a purpose?

snake24

This thread is talking about 2 topics.

1:) We do know that there are still numerous countries out there with a national religion where the majority subscribe to one religion.

Many catholic countries out there. If you go to brazil, france, philippines the majority would be catholic for example. Same with the middle east.

The difference between thailand and those countries especially the middle eastern ones isn't the fact that they believe in a different religion but how those countries have so many restrictions and thailand doesn't have them yet thais are pretty religious almost on par with those muslims/catholics.

I know many thai people from different segments of society and their religion isn't strict and doesn't enforce rules unlike the muslims or the catholics but my thai friends/associates will definitely visit some temple say some prayers. Thailand has sex and drug usage etc but they still religiously pray in the temples. Not trying to imply anything but you can see the difference in thailand being religious and some dumb middle eastern country with sharia law being religious. The fact that they don't really enforce so many rules unlike muslim countries and yet the temples aren't abandoned.

2:) This is about me. Born in a catholic family. Entire family religious. Some members aren't catholic but joined a charismatic christian church. On their whatsapp or facebook profiles there will be quotations about jesus christ and everything and so forth.

I'm the exception. Yes used to attend church when i was a child but didn't affect me in anyway. It was just a routine and in fact i believe for many people. You sit inside the catholic church and listen to the priest yabbering on and on which can be summarized in 4 words "love God, do good." After a while it was boring but i did it cos that was how i was brought up. During my teenage years encountered some christians from some charismatic church. They had the "fire for God" so they were enthuistic and so on and the church grew in size and stole many members from the traditional churches. Attended the services and yes they were more personable but i never felt really attached to it. I joined this charismatic church cos you had a group of people to hang out with called a cell group and there were nice looking females that dressed up in there. In my 20s i went overseas to the USA to study and so i broke off with them. Didn't care. Fact of the matter is i never felt anything at all when saying prayers or in church. It was just something a ritual or rather a routine that i did. I guess i "never felt the annointing of god" so to speak. Graduated from the US university went back to my home country and that was that. Then went to work and met various ppl from other countries around the region.

The most ironic thing is that seeing how religious my thai friends were actually made me curious about my religion again. So i started attending church again catholic and christian charismatic. You sit down in the pew and hear the priest blabbering on and on but it's only 1 hour in the catholic church while it drags on in the charismatic one. I also started visiting the temples with them and burned the joss sticks with them which is a chinese practice. Just did it for fun didn't feel anything special while all around me the thais were all worshipping praying to some deity to give them good fortune, luck etc which isn't so different from those suckers at church. In short i was just going through the motions i didn't feel anything or strongly compelled to pray to any deity.

I am not saying i am totally insensitive towards religious rituals because i still identify with a christian/catholic background even though i don't really attend church and it's meaningless to me but it still took a few temple visits before i just thought what the hell and took some joss and burnt it just to follow the crowd. To my family members that would be well sacriligious in a sense.

I don't subscribe to a supernatural entity whether it's nailed unto a cross or a virgin mother or some invisible supreme being or something with an elephant or a monkey's head with a human's body with 10 arms so in some way i'm just really curious why there are so many people out there that believe in this?

Comeon guys also admit to me how many of you farangs stopped believing in the guy nailed unto the cross with his virgin mother and started believing in the guy with the 10 arms and the elephant's head called phra pikanet or just buddha himself or were you like me and just surprised how come there are ppl that believe in these sorts of things.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thai laity only have 5 rules they're supposed to try and live by. They don't have a big list of 'thou shalt nots'. You don't appear to know very much about Buddhism at all.

Why should i know much about buddhism when i'm not even buddhism or believe in any of the thai animalistic beliefs?

The fact of the matter is i am curious as to why they even bother to go inside a temple when many ppl not only me but in the west won't even step into a church.

There are many Thais who try to be good Thai Buddhists.

However, Thai Buddhism is all a bit of a joke morally and if you were to ask them why, most couldn't come up with a better answer than the fact that they were born into it.

Considering that Buddhism isn't in the strictest sense a religion anyway, I would say that Thais aren't that religious.

Wait firstly i suppose you are using an abrahamic religion to judge how religious thais are. That's not how you're supposed to do it. To judge on how religious a person is you're supposed to see how they treat their religion and how much time they spend on it. Almost every single thai buddhist will definitely make time to attend a temple for example while in the west there are many farang that grew up in catholic family won't even give a damn about attending church on sundays at all. You see the difference.

• Like 2

The Thai laity only have 5 rules they're supposed to try and live by. They don't have a big list of 'thou shalt nots'. You don't appear to know very much about Buddhism at all.

Why should i know much about buddhism when i'm not even buddhism or believe in any of the thai animalistic beliefs?

The fact of the matter is i am curious as to why they even bother to go inside a temple when many ppl not only me but in the west won't even step into a church.

As you're asking questions about it I thought you'd want to do a little of your own research or are you expecting the rest of us to do that for you?

It's a discussion whereby everyone gives their input and that's the case for every single thread started here and it's not like i am begging you for any information as if you could actually enlighten me.

But seriously one more thing you guys need to take note of. I am sure for those of you married or in some relationship with some thai girl you aren't actually religious at all. Cos your farang catholic/christian religion doesn't like that you're marrying or dating someone totally from a different faith. You don't believe in any deity so does it make you curious why some ppl do believe in them?

I know of a male from my country he's a catholic married to a thai girl that has a child from some other thai guy and he managed to convert her to his catholic religion and she's actually really into the catholic faith. She now has a child with him and she feverntly says the rosary, she's part of the choir group.

because you are making completely inaccurate statements about buddhism. learn something about the subject before you make pronouncements

your ignorance of therevadan buddhism is embarrassing

You don't even show how. I even stated in the thread i am not buddhist btw why would your statement even be of any relevance?

Your statement by itself is actually embarrassing. You telling me a non therevandan buddhist in a forum where the majority are foreigners so aren't therevadan buddhists themselves that some foreigner is unaware of the practices of a foreign religion.

You see how your statement would have more significance if this was a forum that many native thais were a part of and most importantly i am also a thai and was born into the religion and praticed the religion and then made some sort of blunder you see how your statement would then have the effect you wished it had. Instead it's just BS. Most of us in here are foreigners and not even buddhists let alone therevadan buddhists of course we would be ignorant of it just like how a native thai person would be ignorant of a catholic mass.

• Like 1

Seems a lot in Thailand have a more superstitious use of Buddhism rather than following it with a strict code or in a way of life that abides every thing that the religion preaches. I quite like the Thai's relationship with Buddhism although I would not say I have much knowledge of it. The only studying I have done on Buddhism (apart from some first hand experience in SEA) is read two books written by the Dalai Lama. Really enjoyed them, some really interesting philosophy to take from the religion.

Seems a lot in Thailand have a more superstitious use of Buddhism rather than following it with a strict code or in a way of life that abides every thing that the religion preaches. I quite like the Thai's relationship with Buddhism although I would not say I have much knowledge of it. The only studying I have done on Buddhism (apart from some first hand experience in SEA) is read two books written by the Dalai Lama. Really enjoyed them, some really interesting philosophy to take from the religion.

the thai buddhism has some definite differences from what the dalai lama teaches

You don't even show how. I even stated in the thread i am not buddhist btw why would your statement even be of any relevance?

Your statement by itself is actually embarrassing. You telling me a non therevandan buddhist in a forum where the majority are foreigners so aren't therevadan buddhists themselves that some foreigner is unaware of the practices of a foreign religion.

You see how your statement would have more significance if this was a forum that many native thais were a part of and most importantly i am also a thai and was born into the religion and praticed the religion and then made some sort of blunder you see how your statement would then have the effect you wished it had. Instead it's just BS. Most of us in here are foreigners and not even buddhists let alone therevadan buddhists of course we would be ignorant of it just like how a native thai person would be ignorant of a catholic mass.

because you are making completely inaccurate statements about buddhism. learn something about the subject before you make pronouncements

Pray tell in what way?

I just merely stated thais attend temples and do rituals like how catholics/christians do in church that's it.

I perform transcendental meditation five times a day and rest on my head between meditations. I also sleep standing up with my eyes open. But, I don't claim to understand Buddhism.

What do u know of jesus christ and saying of the rosary?

Oh these farang and how quick they are to judge me and to test me on thai therevada buddhism but strangely even though i stated i come a catholic family and most likely just the same as they are not a single one of them asked me if i even knew anything of catholicism.

Oh these farang and how quick they are to judge me and to test me on thai therevada buddhism but strangely even though i stated i come a catholic family and most likely just the same as they are not a single one of them asked me if i even knew anything of catholicism.

youre the one made statements about buddhism and asked farang if they have just not traded belief in one supreme being for another. you deserve to be challenged on it. and i doubt anyone cares what you know about catholicism

youre the one made statements about buddhism and asked farang if they have just not traded belief in one supreme being for another. you deserve to be challenged on it. and i doubt anyone cares what you know about catholicism

ok nobody cares on what i know about catholicism but why is everyone asking what i know about theravadan buddism then? I mean what does it matter? You see the double standards here? I could have been writing all BS about christianity and catholicism but that's fine but everyone shines the spotlight and attempts to question my knowlegde on theravada buddhism in which i can safely say they don't know much about either.

ok nobody cares on what i know about catholicism but why is everyone asking what i know about theravadan buddism then? I mean what does it matter? You see the double standards here? I could have been writing all BS about christianity and catholicism but that's fine but everyone shines the spotlight and attempts to question my knowlegde on theravada buddhism in which i can safely say they don't know much about either.and farang who go to the temples

because you made ignorant inferences about buddhism

Buddhism is not a religion it is a philosophy , right speech right thoughts right actions and the middle ground is there way.

Humans have a way of defining, labelling, I always was amazed how TGF's can do the incense and prayers every time we walk past the shrine at centre world or a temple yet have no real idea of Buddhism and what its meant to be.

I was bought up a catholic and long ago gave it away, Buddhism is the reason I first visited Thailand, to see it first hand in action, sure they seem to practice it but of course in reality its just like anywhere else, appearance is everything and that includes Islamic and Christian nations.

From Thai friends they have a limited knowledge of real Buddhism to study it they need to go to temple and do courses it seems, not sure but think there is little religious instruction given at school.

Religions always do well in underprivileged nations as Thailand emerges from 3rd world will be interesting to see in several generations just how many of your TGF's will take you along to the temple.

i would hope that in a few generations the thais would also begin to have a more develpoed sense of the3 teachings. but remember, buddha used to teach only what he thought a person was ready to hear. he taught the bikkhus differently than he taught the common man.

Considering that Buddhism isn't in the strictest sense a religion anyway, I would say that Thais aren't that religious.

When I see the # candles burning and people being drenched in blessed water, the (disgusting) smell of incense, the nine monks blessing your house, car, dog and cat, it is called "liturgy" in my book.