Hiring a car at Suvarnabhumi airport?

kunash

Normally while travelling around Thailand I would get a coach or taxi. And When in my home town of Surin I have a motorbike. But the more I read about safety on the Thai roads, I now would feel safer if I had some protection around me.

I take it the airport would have Hertz. Would the cars have sat nav? can you type the names in English, into the sat nav? I guess from the airport to Surin is straightforward. I could purchase a road map as well, plus I would have my wife with me who speaks Thai.

if the car breaks down I guess we would have roadside assistance? or not?

what if I wanted to drive into BKK,. we will be visiting intercontinental, ploenchit rd. (after surin) from memory, from the airport it does seem quite straightforward. off the toll road, down the hill, take a right and you are there. but then that is when I would need the sat nav. so, is sat nav reliable? I would hate to get lost in bkk while driving.

then, after surin and after bkk, we will be going to hua hin, then back to intercon.

getting to hua hin should be ok. but from memory HH to BKK (intercon ) can be a nightmare. bkk traffic is bad at the best of times.

maybe I should just get a taxi? :)

There are a number of rental agencies, some are nearby the airport and deliver/pickup the car to/from you at the airport. The two times I've used them it was quick, friendly, and not too expensive.

Satnav is usually in a GPS unit, I have my own Garmin with Thai maps. The rental agencies will rent you one for a small fee.

Spelling in the gps is often a bit nutty, like you can't just type in a town, it's often Amphur <town name> and it's the name can be slightly different spelling than the "accepted" one. Once you get used to the format, it's usually pretty good.

Before I lived here I often hired a car from BKK, best prices are obtained from Internet booking agencies. I think I always ended up with an Avis car and got excellent service, all the standard things like Breakdown Cover are provided I've always worked on the principle that although I'm not the best driver in the world that I and my family are safer if I or my Thai wife are driving. By the way my Thai wife is getting very vocal and critical of "stupid Thai drivers - she did live with me in the UK for nearly 4 years so realises that there are some shortcomings with the average Thai motorist.

• Like 1

Hiring at the airport will ensure you pay the highest rate possible.

Hiring in Surin would be cheaper but beware EXACTLY what the renter means by insurance.

You need to have Rental Insurance cover, almost all little farang rental shops just have First Class NON-Rental insurance so in the event of a crash you are told to say to police you are a friend not a customer etc.

GPS - I suggest most maps will be in Thai, you will need to ask the rental companies directly.

Best way to not get lost in BKK traffic is to spend a few days driving through it.

Try using FastCarUK, an internet booking agency. I've used them numerous times, and ended up with cars from Hertz, Budget and Thai. Insurance is inclusive with the price, GPS is available, and overall, they have provided me with the best rates, substantially cheaper than going direct with any agency, with perhaps the exception of Avis. Avis can be the cheapest, if you are willing to rent a Toyota Vios with a manual transmission and no airbags. All are available for pickup at the airport. If you rent over 3 days, there is no one way charge fee for returning the car at a different location.

thanks for all the replies.

i guess i can always ask the rental guy to input the town name and airport name, for the return trip.

i have had a look at the site, (where you can get directions and a map from the airport to surin )

http://www.placesonline.com/asia/thailand/map.asp

and the journey seems quite straightforward (famous last words )

Edited by kunash

I would love to read your post of you driving experience in Thailand, especially going into BKK !

A GPS is a must, Garman you can just choose the lingo for the maps and voice within the unit. They are cheap now to just buy out right.

How long you looking to rent for?

The airport to Surin is easy in terms of driving, but if you are not use to the roads here, it can be a bit interesting at times. And driving in BKK is always "interesting".

Why not take public transport to Surin and get your car there. Then when coming back to BKK, do the same. Or better yet, hire a private driver and car each way. Not sure what the going rate is now, but I'd bet it would be about the same as 3 days rental on a car??? We use to do this all the time. It's nice to sit up front and take in the scenery without having to worry about the crazy drivers.

From BKK to HH it's easy to get a car and driver, and relatively cheap. Unless you want to do some driving around HH. And even if you do, just a get a car when you get there. I haven't done the BKK to HH trip in some time, but 4 years ago I felt like I was on a speedway...where trucks were included in the race. Trying to keep an eye on traffic, crazy drivers, road work, signs and a map is no fun.

Just a thought....

The airport to Surin is easy in terms of driving, but if you are not use to the roads here, it can be a bit interesting at times. And driving in BKK is always "interesting".

Why not take public transport to Surin and get your car there. Then when coming back to BKK, do the same. Or better yet, hire a private driver and car each way. Not sure what the going rate is now, but I'd bet it would be about the same as 3 days rental on a car??? We use to do this all the time. It's nice to sit up front and take in the scenery without having to worry about the crazy drivers.

From BKK to HH it's easy to get a car and driver, and relatively cheap. Unless you want to do some driving around HH. And even if you do, just a get a car when you get there. I haven't done the BKK to HH trip in some time, but 4 years ago I felt like I was on a speedway...where trucks were included in the race. Trying to keep an eye on traffic, crazy drivers, road work, signs and a map is no fun.

Just a thought....

thanks for that link Crossy - they are the cheapest prices I have seen

Craig - there are no rental companies in Surin. but I believe you can hire a '''car''' from the local farang bar, in surin. not sure how reliable and not sure about the insurance for it, so I would rather stay clear of that.

when I am in surin I would like to do a lot of driving. lots of places to visit. I do have a motorbike, but we are a family of 4 , so would prefer a car. ( we are currently based in the uk, so wont invest in a buying a car yet )

i would rent for about 8 days i think. the fortuner looks nice for under 300 pounds. i would then take it back to the airport, and get a private taxi to the hotel and hh, then may hire again in hh.

• Like 1

One annoying thing about renting in Thailand is the major players (Hertz/Avis etc) do not operate like western countries.

So the nation has no 'one way'rentals.

It also appears all the outlets are independent franchise holders just using the Hertz etc brand name.

I often rent cars at BKK. You have 6 options: Avis, Budget, Hertz, National, Sixt, and Thai Car Rent. I had good experiences with Budget, Hertz, Sixt, and Thai. Good clean cars, clear documentation, friendly service. I never rent from National because their quotes are always far higher than the others. Usually Thai is the cheapest but not always. In low season (May-October), they offer a Pay Now discount, which brings the cost way down. But avoid Avis. I once rented from them and had a clunker with almost 100K on the clock and I was driven to their office way off the terminal and they made a fuss when I returned the car to the terminal instead of the office. The others let you pick up and drop off at the terminal. The documentation is there waiting for you. All accept credit cards only, no cash. To get there, once you go through customs, stay on Level 2. You'll see all the car rental desks clustering between Gates 7 and 8.

When you return the car to the terminal, there's no sign pointing you to "Car Rental Return." As you near the terminal, follow the "Arrivals" sign. It's the only one that's yellow. All the others are green, so you can't go wrong. Just before you reach the terminal, be sure to stay in the far left lane or you won't be able to park the car and you'll have to go all the way around and try again. Go through the barriers just before you make the right turn, show your car rental folder, and the guys will wave you through. Watch out for some nasty traffic bumps! Park the car where you can between gates 7 and 8. You can see the car rental counters through the glass front.

On GPS, no idea. I use old-fashioned maps or the stars at night. On driving in Bangkok, I wouldn't do it if you paid me. Terrible traffic, terrible signing, expensive and unnumbered expressways appearing out of nowhere, venal cops, nowhere to park, you name it. If you are going to Surin, head north out of the terminal, then west toward Bangkok on the 7 freeway. Then very soon after that, head north on the 9, the one that goes around the eastern side of the city. Before you get to Ayuthaya, go north-east on the 1 to Saraburi and then east toward Korat and Buriram on the 2. And before you know it, you are home!

• Like 2

I've rented pick ups in Thailand before and driven in Bkk so am not without some knowledge, but have to say, for a 1st post brutheaux that is a very informative and well written post. thumbsup.gif

I use Arguscarhire.com and buy CDW elsewhere on the net.

Edit: I see CDW is now included in the rates displayed by Argus.

Edited by Lancashirelad

One annoying thing about renting in Thailand is the major players (Hertz/Avis etc) do not operate like western countries.

Incorrect. I've previously rented from the airport, had a week in Isaan & dropped off in Pattaya.

(that was with Budget).

It also appears all the outlets are independent franchise holders just using the Hertz etc brand name.

Budget allows one-way rentals. We did so just recently - rented in BKK (office in Soi 8, Rama 9) and dropped off in Phuket (Patong).

IIRC the one way fee was THB 3000.

I assume all Budget offices offer the same services, and that OP could arrange the same from the airport.

Edited by Songhua

Sixt do one way rental and very competitive, provided,you go to Sixt.co.th and not the foreign websites.

Sat Nav good in LOS but remember they don't measure altitude. For some folk that tends to be a problem when travelling on an elevated expressway and you're told to turn right into a crash barrier.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for all the replies.

i guess i can always ask the rental guy to input the town name and airport name, for the return trip.

i have had a look at the site, (where you can get directions and a map from the airport to surin )

http://www.placesonline.com/asia/thailand/map.asp

and the journey seems quite straightforward (famous last words )

If you are coming from the UK then OK, otherwise remember which side of the road to leave the airport on.

That's my first mistake whenever I go back to Spain

• 3 months later...

hi

I understand the car rental places are on level 2 at Suv airport,BKK. when returning the car to the airport, I guess it is level 2 again.

from level 2, what level are the taxis on, so I can go to bkk?

thank you