Ups Uninterrupted Power Supply?

goodguy

OK. I bought a 700va model made by Syndome at the IT Center Laksi. I switched it on and plugged in my Computer. The Computer was brought over from Australia where I bought it. I had bought a Toshino Surge Protector 4 way power adaptor, which I plugged in which told me to check wiring with it's warning light. But I thought I'd just go ahead and try it out. OK, the unit supplied power from the mains no problem, but when I pulled out the UPS power cord from the wall socket to test it, the Power 220v simply died. Yet when I restored power from the wall socket the Computer would boot again no worries. But after a few attempts and still no result, I tried to turn off the UPS, and discovered the power switch on the UPS was broken.

Syndome 700va was returned within seven days, and was replaced with an 800va model with a battery rated at 7 - 12 amps load ability.

I checked the manual for my Computer and found it only needs a use 3.5 amps 220v input power.

Again, I plugged in the new UPS and according to the manual, gave it 4 hours to charge the battery.

This time when I plugged the Computer in booted up no worries, then removed the UPS power cord from the wall socket, again, the computer died, but this time the UPS gave off a continous tone, denoting that it was overloaded. With no load at all, I tested it again, and it gave off the tone that the battery was indeed functioning.

However, when I ran a Zap Catcher Level 3 over to my old G3 from the UPS. The Zap Catcher Level 3 advised me that the UPS, was "not safe" and to check wiring'" which is exactly what the Toshino surge protetor had also advised.

So now I suspect that although the UPS has 3 Pin Sockets and a 3 Pin Power Cord, there is no earth wire, and that the sockets, when the battery kicks in are reverse wired supplying line to the neutral

pin and vice versa.

I am not sure.

Anybody have any experience with these in Thailand????

Does your UPS come with software? The one I use does have software. The software can help you troubleshoot your UPS. It is possible your problem is not hardware related but software related.

I am able to check the input voltage, output voltage, input frequency, output frequency, load level, and battery level.

It also comes with an automatic variable regulator to keep the output voltage at a steady level when the input voltage fluctuates.

A serial cable attaches from the back of the UPS to the serial jack on the back of the computer to monitor the UPS status.

My wall socket dosen't have the ground either. The bare metal on my computer case always shocks me a little when I rub up against it. The output to the house wiring is ac voltage. I don't believe there is any reverse wiring to worry about. The output to the UPS is also AC voltage. DC voltage will give you problems when the wiring is reversed.

I might be wrong though, I haven't worked with electronics for a few years now. Perhaps some of the other more expierenced TV members with an electronic background can confirm this.

Check your BIOS settings as well.

Edited by richard10365

My computer always shocked me too. I put in an earth stake and that took care of the shocks but even before I had it grounded the old UPS worked properly. The new one was the best one the small shop had. It cost 2650 baht. I charged it for the recommended 8 hours and it works fine.

I'd take the unit back where I bought it and have them test it with one of their computers. The software that came with mine caused some problems with other programs on my computer so I uninstalled the program. I don't need information as long as the unit works.

Guest endure

It's always best to look for a UPS that can control your PC via software. If you get a power failure and you're not around the software can be configured to close all files and shut the PC down properly before the battery runs out. If it isn't software controlled your PC just crashes 20 minutes later than it otherwise would have done.

It is possible that lack of a ground would cause the problems you describe. A unit made by a Thai company for the Thai market shouldn't have this problem.

One thing to try is making sure it is isolated from ground- set it on styrofoam, and disconnect any serial cables that might be installed. At this point, it should operate on inverter (battery) much like it would on normal power.

Also, I would suggest testing with an incandescent lightbulb first- take out some of the variables.

The most likely problem is that you have a ground (earth) fault that causes the problem- either with your computer or the UPS itself.

OK. Yesterday, my friend came over with a Digital Meter, to test the Voltages, the Grounds in the UPS and my House, and to check my Computer's power cord's pins are really connecting to the pins in the wall sockets.

First up, he tested the Voltage from the Line in my house and the Line from the socket in the UPS. We are being supplied with 233V. from the Thai Power Company in the street, and the 233V is passing freely through the UPS. Found the Ground to be working fine in the Wall Socket and the UPS sockets.

When he removed Line form the UPS from the Wall Socket, the UPS on batttery kicked in as it should, but, the UPS is only supplying 180V. from it's sockets.

Then he tested the battery in the UPS and found the battery to be fully charged and holding 13V, not 12V. as I would have imagined.

His conclusion was, the Batttery was fine, but the UPS is not able to supply 220V let alone match the Power Company's 233V.

Oh well, I guess I have to take another trip to Laksi. What a drag.