Are Thai people racist? They keeping calling me "Farang"!

Stradavarius37

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The general word for foreigner is "khon tang chart".

Farang refers to Caucasians.

As far as I know this comes from the time that Thailand (as well as other Asian countries) had good contact and did business with the French.

France in Thailand is called "Frangses" so people from France were called "Frang" (Farang).

It is no discrimination. it is just a word that came from that time and got stuck in the language.

Like we say America while we actualy mean U.S.A..

• Like 2

I don't like being called 'Falung'...

What ??? People call you a 'Falung' ? That's disgusting !! They can't even make the insult sound right!

totster biggrin.png

Come on mate. You'd be just as pissed off if somebody called you "Sky Uncle"

• Like 2

I think people just don't like being referred to as a "something". If a shop keeper says "i'm going to go and serve this gay looking guy" or "this fat looking woman" its a label like "this farang" or "this farang dam".  

Yes your spot on mate. Every country you have a term for an outsider ( to dehumanize them) its true. In UK they call everyone a Packi , even if your Indian or Arab. 

In Italy and spain  they call all forigners they dont "know where they are from" a Maroccan,  In USA they call you a mexican if you dont fit in in there "White and Black" theory of people in USA.

In Sri Lanka they call everyone that they dont think is local (Sudda) Means White guy . even if he is an african they call him that. .. They simply label people to dehumanize them from locals.

I can only speak to the statement referring to the USA here - what an uniformed, ignorant statement, with absolutely no truth whatsoever. Plain and simple - crazy talk.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I think people just don't like being referred to as a "something". If a shop keeper says "i'm going to go and serve this gay looking guy" or "this fat looking woman" its a label like "this farang" or "this farang dam".

Yes your spot on mate. Every country you have a term for an outsider ( to dehumanize them) its true. In UK they call everyone a Packi , even if your Indian or Arab.

In Italy and spain they call all forigners they dont "know where they are from" a Maroccan, In USA they call you a mexican if you dont fit in in there "White and Black" theory of people in USA.

In Sri Lanka they call everyone that they dont think is local (Sudda) Means White guy . even if he is an african they call him that. .. They simply label people to dehumanize them from locals.

I can only speak to the statement referring to the USA here - what an uniformed, ignorant statement, with absolutely no truth whatsoever. Plain and simple - crazy talk.

Agreed, and I am not from the USA. Am afraid their posts are from a yobs point of view. bah.gif

• Like 1

In Italy and spain they call all forigners they dont "know where they are from" a Maroccan, In USA they call you a mexican if you dont fit in in there "White and Black" theory of people in USA.

Agreed, and I am not from the USA. Am afraid their posts are from a yobs point of view. bah.gif

I'm in the UK and believe me we have some pretty descriptive insults apart from Paki..

totster smile.png

I actually find the word 'farang' quite convenient when used in the context of:

Well what did you expect -- I'm just some d-mn farang?

Well, many of us like to be the dancing monkey, "the crazy farang", or the just the "farang".

I loved it at first, as I felt superior to them, it did not bother me at all, it was all innocent and fun, I thought.

But after a few years, when I see discrimination, and many of us being ripped off by our extended thai family (no, not me personally, but I have seen it enough), some foreigners being treated very badly, I can not help but see the connection where Thais tend to dehumanize us by seeing us as "farang". We are first and foremost "white skin", and only secondly, an individual, with an identity.

to answer this without joking, been here 6 year, and all my wifes collegues in the tax office have never called by anything but my name, never racialy abused me, neither has any one in her family.im not saying it doesnt happen, but luckily i have not endured it at all.so i am not complaining.

My experience is that as soon as people know my name, they will quite happily use it.

totster smile.png

i agree, but it also the first thing i ever say, helloo, my name is eric, not dave or deek or farrang.

lol.but true.( without the dave or deek)

Edited by ericnoodeeka

Yep, it is a learning curve for Thai folk too, that ''most'' of us are not aliens, just normal guys and gals like themselves. Everyone now calls me ''Trans'' cos I integrate, they know I am NOT a Hi-So ''farang'', just an ordinary guy with no issues with the rich or poor Thai folk. smile.png

well said. and true.

• Like 1

It is neither racist nor is it insulting !

Farang (Thai: ฝรั่ง [faràŋ]) is a generic Thai word for someone of European ancestry, no matter where they may come from. People of African ancestry may be called Thai: ฝรั่งดำ farang dam ('black farang') to distinguish them from white people. This began during the Vietnam War, when the United States military maintained bases in Thailand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farang

End of Discussion smile.png

You are absolutely right.

Since you have used wikipedia as your reference, along with exclamation points, it is the end of any discussion with you.

My experience is that as soon as people know my name, they will quite happily use it.

totster :)

I agree. I seem to be addressed by everyone who know me, and in a small community, that really is virtually everyone, as Lung Al. Of course in sharing that on TV, I fear that you guys will tell me the real meaning of that name.

My hatred of the word is more to do with the bigger picture which is that of the general laziness to seek out new information, to learn, to be scpetical and ambitious. The modern usage of the word farang, in my opinion is a sign of bad education, bad geographical knowledge and a sign of general laziness to actually identify people by means other than just what they look like. I dont get annoyed when called it because i see it as a bigger problem for them than me but it would be good for them to get rid of it.

You are clueless beyond words. And you're clearly wrong because it's obviously a bigger problem for you than them. "Farang" is just a descriptive word and used in exactly the same way that Americans use the words "Asian" and "Hispanic" to describe a great many nationalities. The Thais could care less what you think about how THEY use THEIR language. I tend to agree with them. Which means your opinion amounts to about zero.

"Which means your opinion amounts to about zero."

This was my favourite bit. Concluding that your opinion made mine void just by you having an opinion........love it !!

But, Rintein, Berkshire said "you are clueless beyond words," and "clearly" wrong. Doesn't that mean he's right? biggrin.png

Of course, he has failed to respond to my response to his challenge, as well as other members' responses to the same challenge.

He has also failed to explain why, if farang is just a descriptive reference, not racist, why was I the only one whose table number wasn't called out? (post #4). Why didn't they simply yell out, "Table six!" ?

He and his lot conveniently avoid logical argument altogether, or when he does try to answer, uses no logic in return, using instead insults and words like "clearly" and "completely" a lot.

I'm still waiting for anyone to explain why my table number was not called out.

totster smile.png

I agree. I seem to be addressed by everyone who know me, and in a small community, that really is virtually everyone, as Lung Al. Of course in sharing that on TV, I fear that you guys will tell me the real meaning of that name.

I think Lung (or Loong ) is polite way to address an older man , I have heard my wife use this word , maybe something like uncle ?

• Like 1

totster smile.png

I think Lung (or Loong ) is polite way to address an older man , I have heard my wife use this word , maybe something like uncle ?

It's uncle thumbsup.gif

And you are right about it's use.

totster :)

My hatred of the word is more to do with the bigger picture which is that of the general laziness to seek out new information, to learn, to be scpetical and ambitious. The modern usage of the word farang, in my opinion is a sign of bad education, bad geographical knowledge and a sign of general laziness to actually identify people by means other than just what they look like. I dont get annoyed when called it because i see it as a bigger problem for them than me but it would be good for them to get rid of it.

You are clueless beyond words. And you're clearly wrong because it's obviously a bigger problem for you than them. "Farang" is just a descriptive word and used in exactly the same way that Americans use the words "Asian" and "Hispanic" to describe a great many nationalities. The Thais could care less what you think about how THEY use THEIR language. I tend to agree with them. Which means your opinion amounts to about zero.

"Which means your opinion amounts to about zero."

This was my favourite bit. Concluding that your opinion made mine void just by you having an opinion........love it !!

But, Rintein, Berkshire said "you are clueless beyond words," and "clearly" wrong. Doesn't that mean he's right? biggrin.png

Of course, he has failed to respond to my response to his challenge, as well as other members' responses to the same challenge.

He has also failed to explain why, if farang is just a descriptive reference, not racist, why was I the only one whose table number wasn't called out? (post #4). Why didn't they simply yell out, "Table six!" ?

He and his lot conveniently avoid logical argument altogether, or when he does try to answer, uses no logic in return, using instead insults and words like "clearly" and "completely" a lot.

I'm still waiting for anyone to explain why my table number was not called out.

It happened to me a number of times and I asked twice. Once was at a to go restaurant that handed out numbers for your order. Instead of my number they called our Farang. I asked why and the lady manager told me one waitress wanted a Farang boyfriend and she waits on all the Farang. The other time the manager told me the one waitress who speaks the best English takes the food to the Farang tables in case they want something else.

I would say in general you and your lot go looking for trouble instead of expecting the best. When you expect the worst that is usually what you get. Hope this helps.smile.png

Edited by thailiketoo

It happened to me a number of times and I asked twice. Once was at a to go restaurant that handed out numbers for your order. Instead of my number they called our Farang. I asked why and the lady manager told me one waitress wanted a Farang boyfriend and she waits on all the Farang. The other time the manager told me the one waitress who speaks the best English takes the food to the Farang tables in case they want something else.

I would say in general you and your lot go looking for trouble instead of expecting the best. When you expect the worst that is usually what you get. Hope this helps.smile.png

No, not at all.

You are trying to tell me they said farang, instead of my table number, because one of the workers, who were all over 60, wanted a date with me? Or because they wanted to speak English with me? None did.

That the waitress at your restaurant said farang, to let you know she wanted a date with you? What, she couldn't have called your number, and with a big smile, given you hers?

Uh, no. You confronted the manager, face was being lost, and she made that up to save it, you silly.

Looking for trouble … geez. Thanks for the philosophy lesson.

No, not at all.

You are trying to tell me they said farang, instead of my table number, because one of the workers, who were all over 60, wanted a date with me? Or because they wanted to speak English with me? None did.

That the waitress at your restaurant said farang, to let you know she wanted a date with you? What, she couldn't have called your number, and with a big smile, given you hers?

Uh, no. You confronted the manager, face was being lost, and she made that up to save it, you silly.

Looking for trouble … geez. Thanks for the philosophy lesson.

The face thing is in your head and about 50 years out of date. If you spoke Thai and asked politely you would now know. Maybe you are one of those people who eat cheese and you know how Thais can't stand the BO of a cheese eater; perhaps the lady could not smell and waited on all Farang. Who knows. As it is you assume and you know what that means.smile.png

Edited by thailiketoo