Cannot open bank account

LionMG

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bkk bank kad suan kaew,farang friendly branch.

I was told here on TV to try the Bangkok Bank branch at the Paragon, as the manager was Farang friendly. As soon as I walked in the door I was approached by a young lady, I asked her if I could open an account, she said I would have to go to my Embassy and get a letter. I did not even get near the manager. I wish you good luck OP, and I'm sure you will get a bank account OK.

Is this OP a wind up ?
Once again dress smartly - dirty jeans, trainers, a sweaty T-shirt and flip flops impress no one !
Just walk into any bank with a wad of notes (any currency) and a passport.
They will fall over themselves to open an account and issue your with an ATM card (and charge you TB400 for privilege)
Tell them you wish to transfer more money from whereever and ask for their SWIFT number.
This will be their HO in Bangkok who will exchange your currency into US$ before converting it into Baht for onward transmission to your branch.
I've been coming and going here for 17 years and have NEVER known a Thai bank to turn money away :)

In Sakon Nakhon they wouldn't let me open a savings account on a 30 day visa-exempt stamp even though I had a local address and a local wife. I needed to have a guarantor, and not just anybody would do, a teacher, lawyer, village head, government official etc. So I had the teacher who lives next door come down and sign for me...no problem, I opened a Bangkok Bank savings account with a Visa ATM and with internet access. You have to have a legitimate address for internet access though, they send your internet access info in the mail. If you don't know any guarantors personally, you can pay a village head or government official to sign for you.

Is this OP a wind up ?

Once again dress smartly - dirty jeans, trainers, a sweaty T-shirt and flip flops impress no one !

They will fall over themselves to open an account and issue your with an ATM card (and charge you TB400 for privilege)

Tell them you wish to transfer more money from whereever and ask for their SWIFT number.

This will be their HO in Bangkok who will exchange your currency into US$ before converting it into Baht for onward transmission to your branch.

I've been coming and going here for 17 years and have NEVER known a Thai bank to turn money away smile.png

You are uninformed. There is a government crackdown at the moment. They will not "fall over themselves to open an account and issue your with an ATM card". They probably have more money than most people trying t open an account and are not impressed. But again, the government has cracked down under pressure from the USA and EU.

Is this OP a wind up ?

I've been coming and going here for 17 years and have NEVER known a Thai bank to turn money away smile.png

You are uninformed. There is a government crackdown at the moment. They will not "fall over themselves to open an account and issue your with an ATM card". They probably have more money than most people trying t open an account and are not impressed. But again, the government has cracked down under pressure from the USA and EU.

+1, especially for Americans, however:

another part of the problem (for non-Americans) is the age old one of finding the right person, in the right branch, in the right mood, with decent English language skills, at the right time of day. In CM your best bets are Bangkok Bank at Gad Suan Kaew, Kasikorn on the East side of the moat, CIMB, BAY and UOB at airport plaza. There, I've answered it again and I said I wasn't going to biggrin.png

• Like 1

Is this OP a wind up ?

+1, especially for Americans, however:

another part of the problem (for non-Americans) is the age old one of finding the right person, in the right branch, in the right mood, with decent English language skills, at the right time of day. In CM your best bets are Bangkok Bank at Gad Suan Kaew, Kasikorn on the East side of the moat, CIMB, BAY and UOB at airport plaza. There, I've answered it again and I said I wasn't going to biggrin.png

Used that branch in KSK....forever..... and can't recall one problem. Now there's a real whizz girl with short hair to the right as you go in....I've never seen anyone deal with something so fast and efficiently.

Is this OP a wind up ?

We opened one yesterday for visiting client.

Took 20 mins, no docs required and no problem.

Bangkok Bank.

• Like 1

Is this OP a wind up ?

Bangkok Bank.

Location please...

It is illegal for people on short stay visas to open bank accounts in Thailand.

And if the bank does so?

You know how it is here Uptheos. Just cuz something is illegal doesn't make it impossible. Especailly when it comes to bank managers trying to meet their quota for that promotion.

• Like 1

Is this OP a wind up ?

Bangkok Bank.

Location please...

Me too with the Kasikorn

My previous account lapsed in 2007 when I left Thailand and went to live in Penang

I returned on 6th July 2013 on a Non-Immigrant O 90 day visa and opened a new account on the 15th July with a TB1,000 initial deposit plus TB400 for my ATM Visa card. It was done and dusted in 30 minutes flat :)

My Non-Immigrant O 90 day visa was extended by One Year in September to 3rd October 2014

My balance at the time was TB46,000 !

in my experience bkk give no trouble and also issue credit card to foreigner - most main branches have notices to that effect - albeit backed by a deposit savings account but immigration accept that balance as part of visa exemption money requirements. also i sent over gbp 10k back to uk last week direct from account no fuss 400 baht charge only. too many posters on here seem just to repeat stories heard in bars rather than their own experience.

• Like 1

The comments on this thread are interesting. I've lived in Thailand for almost 20 years. When my wife and I moved to Chiang Mai 3 years ago, I walked into Bangkok Bank on Tapae Road. Retirement visa, 3 million baht to deposit, lease agreement. They said, I could only open a bank account if a Thai would "sponsor" me.

I've talked to a lot of foreigners who have tried to get a credit card with their Thai banks. A bunch of them say, "It was easy, no problem." A bunch of them said, "My bank said no way." Same bank, same visa/work status.

Edited by luther

The comments on this thread are interesting. I've lived in Thailand for almost 20 years. When my wife and I moved to Chiang Mai 3 years ago, I walked into Bangkok Bank on Tapae Road. Retirement visa, 3 million baht to deposit, lease agreement. They said, I could only open a bank account if a Thai would "sponsor" me.

I've talked to a lot of foreigners who have tried to get a credit card with their Thai banks. A bunch of them say, "It was easy, no problem." A bunch of them said, "My bank said no way." Same bank, same visa/work status.

Never heard of that. I recently took a friend into the Bangkok Bank near Chiang Mai Gate. He was on a 60 day tourist visa and plans to spend 2 months here each year.

He opened a savings account, linked with an ATM card, with 2,000 baht deposit, using my Hang Dong address.

It used to be for a Thai credit card you had to have a work permit.Not sure if that's still the case.We just use the wifes biggrin.png

I learnt a long while ago that what happens at one Bank Branch does not apply at another,especially the shopping centre sub branches, avoid them. That's why I say over and over again find an English speaking Bank Officer, treat them like a friend, and you want have a problem. I just did 2 cash withdrawals,in 3 days, at the same bank using an Oz Visa Debit Card, don't have to worry about security or pay the ATM 150 baht fee,

• Like 2

There are two options for a credit card:

The first is a work permit, the second is to deposit an amount, typically THB 3 million and that money can't be accessed, it serves as a guarantee for the credit limit on the card.

The comments on this thread are interesting. I've lived in Thailand for almost 20 years. When my wife and I moved to Chiang Mai 3 years ago. I walked into Bangkok Bank on Tapae Road. Retirement visa, 3 million baht to deposit, lease agreement. They said, I could only open a bank account if a Thai would "sponsor" me.

Your mistake ...... thinking all bank branches are equal.

In reality they are all independent kingdoms under the rule of their branch manager.

Bangkok Bank branch in Thapae road says NO, Bangkok Bank branch in Chiang Mai Gate says YES. ..... etc.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 2

I opened a bank account just today and I'm on the second entry of a double entry tourist visa, but have been here for 7 months now. The bank is Thanachart Bank. I deposited 2,000 TB, paid 300 TB for a debit card and I also have internet banking. Just needed to show my passport and the other half showed her blue book.

• Like 1

Took me a about 10 minutes a couple of years ago at the Kasikorn in Phuket, Jungceylon branch. Just a passport and address of

hotel I was staying at, All I had was a triple entry tourist visa. That said I understand for Americans it is now tough to open an account

anywhere in the world. The US government reporting requirements and penalties are quite onerous if the bank makes a mistake

so it is simply not worth the effort. Many US clients are just being posted.