The wide wonderful world of American sandwiches ...

Jingthing

El Faro was really good when it was only on (about) 16th and Mission. It was one of the first ones to become fashionable with white people. It turned into a SF chain and was still pretty good in the late 80s when I first started living in Thailand. I liked the one on the corner of Sutter and Polk Streets, because I had the hots for the franchise owner's daughter.

it taste exactly the same, believe it or not, same runny Guacamole too, there was an off shoot in Milbrae, exactly the same as El Faro, called Burrito Supreme, ever try it , ate there in '78 and still open, not to be confused with El Faro in San Bruno or around there .

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^'El Farolito' is a cantina in Malcolm Lowry's Under the Volcano...terrible things happened there...

now, a meatloaf sandwich ain't half bad and I make a meatloaf when at home (the meat grinder is handy) and then have sandwiches for a couple of days...and after preparing one with mustard and mayo I cut it in half and offer it to the little niece who was watching me and say: 'here, ye gotta try it for yer uncle tutsi's sake...'

and then her eyes got big and she backed away shaking her head...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I can't find good meatloaf in Chiang Mai. There are a few places with barely acceptable meatloaf, but I was never that crazy about much better meatloaf back home, so I mostly avoid it here. A good meatloaf sandwich would hit the spot though.

One of the tastier sandwiches that Subway do is a meatball and peppers combination.

Not sure about the ethnic differences of meatballs though, would it be in the sauce?

The best herring sandwiches are done in the Netherlands... brodie haarring??

It's a seasonal dish, the herring have to be freshly pickled apparent.

Edited by sceadugenga

I can't find good meatloaf in Chiang Mai. There are a few places with barely acceptable meatloaf, but I was never that crazy about much better meatloaf back home, so I mostly avoid it here. A good meatloaf sandwich would hit the spot though.

UG, ye gots to make the meatloaf yerself...they gots ground beef in CM (we ain't got none in rural Supanburi, hence the meat grinder) don't they? just google and there are a million recipes and there's gots to be one entitled: 'my momma's meat loaf recipe' and select that one..

I learned by watchin' my momma prepare it but I doctor it up with sauteed onions and garlic....and my momma was from Bolivia so it's the easiest thing to prepare even for folks from another planet...

if ye ever get homesick fer the west just prepare meatloaf, then slice it on the kitchen counter and admire...can't go wrong...

hey! an' don't let yer meat 'loaf'...har, har, har...

UG, ye gots to make the meatloaf yerself...they gots ground beef in CM (we ain't got none in rural Supanburi, hence the meat grinder) don't they? just google and there are a million recipes and there's gots to be one entitled: 'my momma's meat loaf recipe' and select that one..

I learned by watchin' my momma prepare it but I doctor it up with sauteed onions and garlic....and my momma was from Bolivia so it's the easiest thing to prepare even for folks from another planet...

if ye ever get homesick fer the west just prepare meatloaf, then slice it on the kitchen counter and admire...can't go wrong...

. Don't forget the mashed potatoes and gravy...

One of the tastier sandwiches that Subway do is a meatball and peppers combination.

Not sure about the ethnic differences of meatballs though, would it be in the sauce?

The best herring sandwiches are done in the Netherlands... brodie haarring??

It's a seasonal dish, the herring have to be freshly pickled apparent.

say, man...

I never tried to make meat balls as the secret is in the sauce and I was never much of a saucy type but a good meatball sandwich can't be beat...

the actor Gary Busey gives the proper respect...

an'...ye can't eat a meatball sandwich without gettin' it all over yer shirt...a unique culinary experience ('iconic' as the guy on youtube sez) especially in the front seat of an FBI cruiser in the middle of the afternoon...

I'm gonna haveta get the little niece in the kitchen wid me and figure out the meat balls...

(but she's big now and figures that she's an adult so maybe there's no use in it...)

I heard the reason u did not see burritos in Mexico was they didn't have flour tortillas...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

They do in the North but the traditional style is basic and not a gringolandia sour cream and cheese fiesta!

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

. Don't forget the mashed potatoes and gravy...

now, at Brennan's bar in Berkeley they serve a superb open meatloaf sandwich with gravy and mash...you want a hangover cure? just get one of them and then you start to drink all over again...the bar owners are very clever...

I was back for a short visit about 15 years ago and the bartender greeted me like he saw me the previous evening (it was that kind of place) and we got to talkin' and one of me drinkin' buddies had keeled over an died offa his bar stool a few years previous...and I wondered did he have a meatloaf sandwich before that happened...probably not as if you don't fortify yourself in that place the result can be lethal...

oh, the medicinal properties of meatloaf sandwiches...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I had a recipe many years ago that used meatloaf as a pizza type base.

You created a flat plate of raw meatloaf in a deep dish, cooked it and poured off the fat.

You then topped it with topping of choice and plenty of cheese and baked it a bit longer.

I even topped it with left over spaghetti bolognaise once and it was a great success.

Edited by sceadugenga
  • Like 1

I heard the reason u did not see burritos in Mexico was they didn't have flour tortillas...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

They do in the North but the traditional style is basic and not a gringolandia sour cream and cheese fiesta!

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

one morning in Bolivia in the 60s I went to get my pal for the trudge up to our high schools...he was mexican but grew up in Chicago and his mom had taught the bolivian cook to make flour tortillas...and then I was offered an egg taco; there was no salsa to put on it but is was tasty nonetheless mostly because the tortilla was superb...freshly made and perfect...

we were both 16 y.o. and thus fortified we trudged up the dusty road to our classrooms conversing about shit like 16 year olds do...

his dad was a US state department spook that worked for the US created International Labor Organization trying to stamp out the communist influence in the bolivian miner's union...his mom was great and she really liked me, and she also carried a pistol in her purse when she went outdoors...I figured all this out later when I grew up...

sauce = sass...as in: 'don't you be sassin' me, girl!...'

a unique SE America idiom...

I have another niece who is a very serious type and who lived with us most of her life...then she became a teenager and 'sassed' my wife who then threw her out and she ended up with her father (her mother, a younger sister, is a flake - but a very sexy flake without responsibility and she was no use)...

tutsi (who had been away at work and was not present when this happened): 'but darling, she was our most serious niece and the best student where most of our hopes for the future may reside? why did you send her away??'

she had her arms folded and there was a twitch to the downturned corner of her mouth and I then knew not to take the issue further...

when the niece was with me her normally 'serious' face would soften and we would laugh...and I know that she knows that I had nothing to do with the event...

oh...de pain ob lebben....('so, why do you live, tutsi, when you cannot handle the pain?' 'because people that I care about would be sad if I died...')

Edited by tutsiwarrior

oh, yeah...in the local supermarket there is a bookstore and I found a copy of 'Crime and Punishment' in thai translation (in rural Supanburi???!!!) they had loads of them...I immediately bought a copy and then later handed it to the serious niece and said something like: 'here...see if you can make sense of this'...

she was about 15 and had impressed me with her scholastic achievement...she doesn't get gifts very often, only when I am around...

btw...the serious niece is in the avatar photo next to the little niece...you can just see her forehead and nose as she tucks into the laab muu when we were at a food stall with the family in Supan changwat...

she is an interesting specimen...I brought her and another kid that lived with us out to the local market to shop for clothes and then we went to the bus station to eat and she gave the other kid a tongue lashing for being a worthless POS that didn't deserve my kindness...she was only 15...

maybe...just right, she's my girl...but then later her wild tongue got her into trouble with the wife...

Dostoyevskian in the extreme...

(the flight back to Jeddah from Dubai departs in a couple of hours...thanks to everyone for their kindness and patience...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Any sandwich involving Italian cured meats, cheese, onion and lashings of decent mayo and I'm a happy camper.

sandwich.jpg

Lashings? crazy.gif Not sure that's a 'Murcan sandwich, mate.

American, or not, that sandwich looks GOOD. thumbsup.gif

Most definitely NOT American, but CAN eat!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

The one most MISSED things from America...is sandwiches!! OMG, Turkey, Pastrami, beef, lamb, Italian, Greek...whatever, and the bread! In Thailand it's pork, pork & more pork.

With the pork, not all that different than the U.S. DEEP SOUTH.

No, not Texas ...

The one most MISSED things from America...is sandwiches!! OMG, Turkey, Pastrami, beef, lamb, Italian, Greek...whatever, and the bread! In Thailand it's pork, pork & more pork.

With the pork, not all that different than the U.S. DEEP SOUTH.

No, not Texas ...

The Deep South is still a future travel designation for me, but verrrry look forward to the food. But at least with the US, the bread & other attributes are quite tasty.

http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/best-sandwiches-in-the-us

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/adam-richmans-best-sandwich-in-america

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/fun-how-to/food-travel/25-regional-sandwiches/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/08/09/50-best-sandwiches-in-the-u-s-one-from-every-state/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/food-wine/best-sandwiches_b_1878286.html

Odd ones/favs:

Muffaletta: NOLA

Goetta: Cincinnati

Roast Pork/Broccoli Rabe: DiNics-Phila/Reading Market

Chaps Pit Beef: Baltimore

Al's Italian Beef: Chicago

Kelly's Roast Beef: Boston (Reveah)

I go back every ~ 60 days so always indulge. I'm partial to pulled pork, roast beef, meatball/sausage parm, italian (grinder).

What can be used in place of the broccoli rabe here in Thailand? Any suggestions?

I've heard that sandwich gives the Philly cheesesteak a run for its money by locals.

What is rabe?

with meatloaf, me mum useta add a coating of catsup to the top during the last 10 minutes in the oven...I discontinued the practice as the garlic and onions that I add don't mix well with a sweet tomato sauce...

my mum is New Yorker Bronx, you ever try a sandwich with jalepeno sauce and garlic mayo, yummmmmmm

Just a warning, if you order your iced tea without sugar instead of the 20 packets it's usually served with, you're a <deleted> Yankee!

Lived in Texas since 1978, and I still give away my roots by ordering tea with no sugar.

Favorite sandwiches: Feebs Italian beef in Downers Grove Illinois, Russel's BBQ sandwich in Elmwood Park, Ruebens anywhere in Chicago or New York, BBQ at some little shop in El Dorado Arkansas.

• Like 1