Racist policy in attribution of Iphones?

anon210

Well, my boss works in the Thonglor area, near JAvenue. In that area, there is a shop of the chain of authorized resellers.

He was told that they were instructed to sell Iphones 5 S only to Thais. I was so astonished that I went there myself to get that confirmed. The reseller told me that they had corporate instructions from their headquarters to sell only to Thai customers at least until January, as there are limited stocks.

It is the first time, I see such a blatantly racist policy in sales of a product of a US great brand. Anybody else encountered this explanation and national preference?

To be completely fair, I had received an invitation to buy one via AIS, but as I am not interested in Apple stuff, I did not pursue it.

My (Thai) wife and I are both with DTAC and both applied for an allocation from the first batch of 5S phones into Thailand. We applied on-line within 5 minutes of each other. I received my "you have been selected" mail at the date and time promised by DTAC. My wife received nothing for several days before finally receiving an allocation.

• 1 month later...

This "He was told" is a bit chinese whispers, innit?

Told by whom? And who made the decision?

Actually, I went there myself, and talked to the shop responsible. And I was told the very same thing. That because of low stocks the chain had decided to reserve it to Thai nationals.