Ants ate my laptop

Frank James

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not necessarilly for some reason ants are attracted to electricity...

Indeed, it's the tiny microscopic ones that cause the trouble (they bite too).

They've fried 1 TV and bunged up the water pump pressure switch several times as well as assorted light switches. The ants have avoided any of my PCs (so far)

To our OP, if you (or your shop) clean off all the crap and dead ants it's possible it will recover, no big voltages inside.

The ants in question are the small black fellows, which seem to be the most common variety that one finds in homes here. At that location we had at least four distinct groups: the large-bodied reddish ones; the equally large bodied blacks; these small black guys (the most numerous); and worst of all, the almost sub-visible reddish-transparent ones, that have a nasty sting.

It really is interesting to watch these little guys as they do their work. I could have done without their work on my machine, though!

The ants are going at the rants cheesy.gif

But seriously, good luck! Ants did destroy my speaker system and 1 computer as well. Now I am watching very carefully for ants around anything electronic/electric. They were probably small ants, and not the big ones...

• Like 1

As jackr said, remove the hard drive, put it in a 2.5" case and USB it to your new computer. The data should be accessible to transfer directly over.

Sigh, it appears the days of the internet spiders are gone................sad.png

OMG....How do you live in a place with ants like this....Spray, chalk, spray for you own good.

We don't live there any more. Where we live now has very few ants. I doubt if there's any home in Chiang Mai that doesn't have at least a few ants, even the brand new condo developments that are sprouting all over like mushrooms. The slums of tomorrow. Ants are here to stay. It's a perfect environment for them.

I've witnessed this also. I've seen piles of dead ants under the desktop screen, and watched them killing themselves in wall electrical sockets. After reading James Surowieki's book on Crowd intelligence (which features a story about ants following each other in the jungle in a multi-kilometre circle, and meeting the start of their own journey, only to walk in a circle until they died, it is my hypothesis (not necessarily fact), that they leave a scent trail, and other ants may follow, and if enough follow the scent trail it may become strong enough that there could be hoards of them all crawling in there and killing themselves. I don't think it's the electricity that attracts them, just their wandering nature and the simple rules that certain ants follow. For example, some species if you smack your hand near them, they run off. Other species seem oblivious to this, even if you are 1mm away from splatting them.

The original computer term of 'a bug in the system' I believe also originated from things getting into old style electronics and screwing up the hardware.

• Like 1

In my Pattaya room I had ants disabling a light switch (there were so many of them all of a sudden), establishing a colony overnight in my desk PC keyboard (caught them in the act in the morning !!) and, worse of all, having colonized the back of my expensive but not often used HP laptop monitor (right behind the protective clear glass).

Switched the laptop on, it still worked and I could see the little devils moving about on the picture background.

I took the laptop to ITCity at TukCom and they cleaned the menagerie for 1,000b.

No problems with the laptop since.

• Like 1

I'm sorry for what happened to your computer but the story is funny and the pictures that shows ants stuck on your pc just made it hilarious.

lolcheesy.gif

Can you pull out the HDD and put it into a external hard drive and copy it onto another computer?

I had a Sony Handycam tape video machine that I hadn't used for a while. Picked it up one day, and could see ants through the viewfinder. Strange,thought I; can't recall videoing ants. On exploration,the whole machine was infested with them. I took it to Sony and the cost of repair was more than it was worth. So I ditched it and bought a basic digital one, much smaller, handier and works well. In that respect the little devils did me good. Is it just me, or has this year seen an increase in Ant activity?; they seem to be everywhere, in the house, garden and out buildings.