Russians in Pattaya

JakeBKK

It is not only latex pillows they buy. I live north of Pattaya and I often pass a latex rubber outlet about 8Km outside Pattaya. It is on the Sukhumvit not far from the Isuzu garage on the side of the road going into Pattaya.

This outlet has lots of coaches stopping there and a couple of years ago my curiosity got the better of me and I stopped the bike and 'attached' myself to a coach load of people that had just arrived.

I was expecting to find some kind of hidden sex toy factory or something, but no it was full of beds. About 50 or more large beds with mattresses and pillows all made of different types of latex.

The sales people all spoke what sounded to me like Russian and they looked Russian as well - they certainly weren't Thai.

There was a room off the main warehouse with a door where only 'privileged' people seemed to be allowed or invited into, so I was keen to see what was in there.

I just nodded when someone said something to me I did not understand and I was ushered into the 'special' room.

It was full of more pillows!!!

Lots of people were ordering both the beds and pillows and as they were filling in forms I guess they would be delivered back to their home towns??? Certainly it seemed like the same sort of operation you see at Lukdod, where they deliver all kind of large items to a tourist's home address in many parts of the world.

I just shook my head and left, but on the way back I saw there were 3 large coaches in the car park. It must be a cultural thing???

As you can tell, for me to spend 10 minutes posting this on a thread on TV it must have stuck with me over the years as being very 'odd'.

As for the Russians. I love having them around. As an example of why it is good to have them here, I play sport at a local hotel gym (Cholchan) and afterwards go and sit around the pool. The hotel mainly caters to the Russians and they are so rude and mean (no tipping) and bring so much of their own food and drink to consume by the pool, that the staff never bother about me drinking my soft drinks I brought from home.

The 20 baht tip I leave also gets me really good treatment from the staff, many who make a big effort for the Russians and never see a tip at all.

One other good thing about the Russians. When I sit down to relax they just ignoreme, they may push their sunbed in front of mine and move their umbrella to block my sun, but not one has ever come near to me and said 'Hey, so where are you from???'. I would rather 10 Russians around me than one 'friendly' farang tourist wanting to invade my space and make 'small talk'.

Just to add to my post earlier I think health worries are the main reason for Russian obsession with latex bedding. I've just remembered that the astonishing growth in Russian tourism to Pattaya over the last few years has coincided with a rapid proliferation of businesses selling Thai natural medicinal remedies to Russians. Whenever I drive in Pattaya I almost always see vans with a word 'Thai pharmacy' or 'Thai medicines' in Russian on them. They probably either delivery the stuff or take prospective Russian buyers to their showrooms. I imagine that years of dissatisfaction with the Soviet government health service has made generations of Russians turn their hopes on natural medicine.

Who would have guessed that Russians would be so keen on latex bedding, or that it should be worth buying several thousand miles away from home and sending back?

Or that the shopping habit should be of such intense interest to TV members. Nothing much else to think about, I guess.

Hey JSixpack, I wonder if you see the irony of YOU coming on here to spend time making a derisory comment about people like me wasting their time commenting on Russian shopping habits.

For what it is worth, I was actually searching TV for some advice on a completely different subject and the search brought up the Russian thread in the list. When I saw the word 'latex' it triggered a memory from some years ago that I have never had answered. So although it will not be on my 'bucket list' of things I want to achieve before I die - I would be interested to know why coach loads of Russians are so into latex bedding.

Oh well, I have wasted another 10 minutes of my day on TV, I had better go back to my sad 'boring life' - in fact I am off for a swim.

I will be back in a few days though to see if there is an answer to this latex obsession!!

• Like 1

First, I must admit that I have not been in Pattaya for almost a decade.

What I kn ow of this is what I read on TV and other sites that address the Farang tourist areas of Thailand.

It has come to my attention that for the last couple of years, it seems in that most reports of Farangs being beaten up, robbed and even killed,the victims are Russians.

My question: Is this due to the fact that there are so many Russians in Pattaya, or is it that the Thais find their attitude so offensive that they can not tolerate it?

Edited by Rimmer
Irrelevant photo in bad taste removed

What I kn ow of this is what I read on TV and other sites that address the Farang tourist areas of Thailand.

It has come to my attention that for the last couple of years, it seems in that most reports of Farangs being beaten up, robbed and even killed,the victims are Russians.

My question: Is this due to the fact that there are so many Russians in Pattaya, or is it that the Thais find their attitude so offensive that they can not tolerate it?

attachicon.gifimages.jpg

When SEA meets Eastern Europe, a culture clash indeed. The results are predictable.

I suspect that it is an unfortunate effect of the Russians' fairly brusque and to-the-point nature. This is entirely contrary to the usual Thai way of behaving, and I'm not surprised that they can rub each other up the wrong way very easily.

Saw the best ever in Shenanigans last night, 3 Russians came in during the storm carrying 7/11 bags containing beer and water. To be fair they did order food but drank the stuff they had brought with them. Strange that none of the staff took any notice as if it was the norm.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes and Yes. In answer to the second part of your question: There is a category of Russian here that are a problem. I just got back from a sauna and there were a couple of Russian males

25-30 that were in the lobby drinking whisky out of a 1/4 full bottle and smoking cigarettes. Then one of them starts staring at me. It is now very understandable to me now why the Thais

are fighting with some of these Russians.

Saw the best ever in Shenanigans last night, 3 Russians came in during the storm carrying 7/11 bags containing beer and water. To be fair they did order food but drank the stuff they had brought with them. Strange that none of the staff took any notice as if it was the norm.

I've seen Americans bring their own bottles of water from 7/11 into Dicey Reilly's to drink whilst they are eating. Given that the water in DR costs 80B for a small bottle it makes a lot of sense.

I've seen Americans bring their own bottles of water from 7/11 into Dicey Reilly's to drink whilst they are eating. Given that the water in DR costs 80B for a small bottle it makes a lot of sense.

Would they try that on at a restaurant in America? They'd be shown the door immediately. Bloody ignorant IMO.

The funny thing is personally I tend to avoid restaurants that charge ridiculous prices for basic drinks just because of that and I also would NEVER bring in my own drinks. So objectively, the restaurants are doing better with rude bringing in behavior than NOTHING. I make exceptions when there is something REALLY SPECIAL about the food offered. In Pattaya, that's pretty rare, as most restaurants here are nothing special, regardless of the prices.

Edited by Jingthing

I suspect that it is an unfortunate effect of the Russians' fairly brusque and to-the-point nature. This is entirely contrary to the usual Thai way of behaving, and I'm not surprised that they can rub each other up the wrong way very easily.

A contributing factor could be that many Russian speakers are perceived as cheap charlies. I have a number of Thai famity who provide services (non sexual) who constantly complain at the heavy discounts demanded & they will walk away. To date only once has it esculated to a fight (one on one) the Thai guy 'won'

• 5 years later...

If you used the google translator instead it would have been easier for us to read but here we go . 

----------------

Hello, dear friends!

I read this topic and read your comments. Maybe I did not understand everything, because I do not know English, and I use the google translator. I see that you know a lot about Russians !!!!! I will help you learn even more !!!!! I am Russian and do not know English, so I will write through the google translator

"Dsfbrit" writes that Russians are rude and evil. They are also ignorant. I am glad that "dsfbrit" knows all about the Russians !!! I am glad that "dsfbrit" about several people makes conclusions for millions of people !!!! "Dsfbrit" forgot to write that the Russians are dirty, drunk, smelly, stupid, scary !!! And they eat dogs, cats and small children!

You also ask why Russians buy latex pillows? I will tell you !!!!! Russians live in the forest, among the beasts of cold and ice. And the Russians have no pillows, the damned communists and Putin took them away. And Russian latex pillows, make sex toys and food.

There are many Russians in Pattaya, and there will be even more of them. For you a very big problem. You are very intelligent, enlightened, tolerant, civilized, cultural friends, almost the owners of Thailand, unlike the Russians.

If you ask me questions about Russians, I will tell you many more horror stories about them.

----------------------------------

• Like 1

Yeah, my impression is that they are buying the latex pillows to bring home, that they see them as very cheap here. That's understandable but they must really LOVE those latex pillows! I've had good access to latex pillows for as long as I can remember and never felt tempted.
It's been awhile but it seems I've gone native.

First I bought a latex pillow.

Then I bought a latex mattress.

Now I get why the Russkies are flying in here to shop at the latex pillow and mattress shops all over town.

But I'm not telling.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app