What Is In The Glass?

For the past 6 days I have been using a Garmin Street Pilot GPS system in my car. It works perfectly. Yesterday I tried to use it in my wife's car and it was unable to capture any satellites. She drives a 2004 Mercedes S and I drive a 2005 Mrecedes SLK. Neither car has any aftermarket treatment to the glass...and neither one appears to have any tint.

For the past 6 days I have been using a Garmin Street Pilot GPS system in my car. It works perfectly. Yesterday I tried to use it in my wife's car and it was unable to capture any satellites. She drives a 2004 Mercedes S and I drive a 2005 Mrecedes SLK. Neither car has any aftermarket treatment to the glass...and neither one appears to have any tint.

Interesting. I know after market tints (aluminized) do cause this problem. Have you tried moving it to different locations in the car (not while driving of course) to see if you can isolate the blind spots?

It's gotten used to the SLK, going down-market to the S has upset it :o

Meanwhile, a thought, does the S have a heated windscreen? The (very fine) wires may be interfering with the satellite signal.

Meanwhile, a thought, does the S have a heated windscreen? The (very fine) wires may be interfering with the satellite signal.

That's a good point. I think the S does and the SLK does not. But, the portable GPS does work on our SL55 AMG in the US.

Interesting. I know after market tints (aluminized) do cause this problem. Have you tried moving it to different locations in the car (not while driving of course) to see if you can isolate the blind spots?

I'll try it through the rear window. As to the windscreen I did move it about with no luck.

Crossy, I just checked both cars. Neither one has heating wires in the glass...they both have buttons that will send warm air over the glass.

Crossy, I just checked both cars. Neither one has heating wires in the glass...they both have buttons that will send warm air over the glass.

Heat reflective glass has some effect too...Have problems with my Land Rover Discovery in the UK..

Heat reflective glass has some effect too...Have problems with my Land Rover Discovery in the UK..

Since the S (LWB) is such a much bigger car than the SLK maybe MB uses a different type of glass (to reflect more sunlight?). It seems odd. In a day or so I'll try to 'shoot' through the rear window of the S just to see if it is the glass in the S. Anyway, I am going over to Pantip tomorrow to pick up an external antenna for when we travel in the S. I met a Thai girl at the car wash yesterday...she had studied in America for a year...anyway, she said she always gets lost while driving in BKK and she wanted to get a Garmin for her car. My Garmin has both English and Thai language options.

Since the S (LWB) is such a much bigger car than the SLK maybe MB uses a different type of glass (to reflect more sunlight?). It seems odd. In a day or so I'll try to 'shoot' through the rear window of the S just to see if it is the glass in the S. Anyway, I am going over to Pantip tomorrow to pick up an external antenna for when we travel in the S. I met a Thai girl at the car wash yesterday...she had studied in America for a year...anyway, she said she always gets lost while driving in BKK and she wanted to get a Garmin for her car. My Garmin has both English and Thai language options.

Remember to tell us about that antenna, is it with a magnet? big and ugly? maybe a photo

Thanks, i will se if they got that garmin here on Phuket, i got to have it

Remember to tell us about that antenna, is it with a magnet? big and ugly? maybe a photo

Thanks, i will se if they got that garmin here on Phuket, i got to have it

I am going to Pantip this morning to buy the external antenna. You can see it on the Garmin web site. Go to www.garmin.com/products/sp2720 and click on accessories.