Body snatchers are busy tonight.

Chiengmaijoe

Twice within the space of an hour or so tonight I saw a race between the emergency services vans rushing to an accident. The second time was especially alarming because I don't think I've ever seen two vehicles driving so fast in town (charoenprathet rd.). My guess would be about 100+ km/hour. I assume that maybe they were busy tonight because of the number of fireworks going off around town, particularly later on, or possibly victims of drunk driving. Either way, the way these guy drive it's only a matter of time before they kill someone.

I've seen them many a time driving the wrong away along the moat in a desperate search to get to the scene first. It would be nice to think that they are in a rush to save a life, but since they are driving so dangerously I suspect that commissions may have more to do with it.

I think but I've never had it confirmed, that different ambulances work for certain hospitals. They will only take you to their hospital. Then the hospital procedes to rip you off. Happened to a friend of mine.

• Like 1

In short, yes they are separate (private) firms which are contractors for individual hospitals. Not sure about Chiang mai but in Phuket, these companies sometimes even sub-contract to locals. Normally unqualified friends or family members who are willing to put the stickers and lights on their van etc. Basically, they get paid per pick-up or rescue as they like to call it.

There are also reports of these guys racing to get to the treasure first (wallets, gold, iPhones...) Video on youtube somewhere of a girl being robbed then loaded into the rescue vehicle.

http://bkkguava.blogspot.com/2008/05/love-maker-body-taker.html

• Like 1

I have no idea as to how good a service they give and I can only assume that they do have some medical experience and so are of some help, but the manner in which they drive to the scene of an accident is verging on the fringes of lunacy.

I had one crash into me. He then offered to take my gf to the hospital. I thought one accident was enough for her that day, so declined.

In short, yes they are separate (private) firms which are contractors for individual hospitals. Not sure about Chiang mai but in Phuket, these companies sometimes even sub-contract to locals. Normally unqualified friends or family members who are willing to put the stickers and lights on their van etc. Basically, they get paid per pick-up or rescue as they like to call it.

There are also reports of these guys racing to get to the treasure first (wallets, gold, iPhones...) Video on youtube somewhere of a girl being robbed then loaded into the rescue vehicle.

Beautiful, Buddhist Thailand.

First day on the Thai Visa forum.

You are going to fit right in.10_1_136.gif

TIT.

Yes, they work on commission to be split by them and the police. Ther's a few "racers" driving those "ambulances" so they can "legally" race at night. At least one ambulance has many race attributes and the engine has been completely modified.

It is not about helping but all about (drunk) racing and commission. Sometimes they just race around for fun only, not having had an accident at all.

A famous Thai actor wanted to stop these practices a few years ago, however, too much money and fun involved.

Only in Thailand.

TIT.

Yes, they work on commission to be split by them and the police. Ther's a few "racers" driving those "ambulances" so they can "legally" race at night. At least one ambulance has many race attributes and the engine has been completely modified.

It is not about helping but all about (drunk) racing and commission. Sometimes they just race around for fun only, not having had an accident at all.

A famous Thai actor wanted to stop these practices a few years ago, however, too much money and fun involved.

Only in Thailand.

Tit? That's not nice.

I've never understood this thing about implying that since a country is predominantly one religion or another then supposedly they all lead good lives and anyone acting contrary to the religion is somehow a hypocrite. As far as I know no country in the world , irrespective of it's religion, is absent of crime, cruelty or even murder. Every religion has much the same rules forbidding murder, theft, adultery etc. but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Somebody steals or commits cruelty or murder in Thailand and out comes the daft comment "and this is supposed to be a Buddhist country". There is good and bad in each and every country, irrespective of religion or the absence of it.

• Like 2