Thai govt drops amnesty bills

webfact

Govt drops Amnesty bills

1383814572_1.jpg
Thaksin Shinawatra - no amnesty right now.

BANGKOK: -- The House of Representatives -- the Thai lower house -- this afternoon (November 7) agreed by a vote of 310-1 to withdraw the government's highly controversial amnesty bills.

The vote was called after Deputy Speaker Charoen Chankomol said he had invited the five MPs who submitted the six bills for talks and they had all agreed to withdraw their draft legislation.

The bills were widely seen as aimed at allowing ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra, convicted of corruption, to return to the country without facing jail time.

Their promulgation sparked widespread protests around the country, with thousands arrivijg every day in the capital to join proposed massive marches to disrupt Bangkok and force the government of Mr Thaksin's sister, Yingluck, to back off.

Of the six items of legislation, five are "reconciliation bills" proposed by Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin, Niyom Worapanya, Samart Kaewmeechai, Peerapan Palusuk and Nattawut Saikuar.

The other is an "amnesty bill" proposed by Niyom Worapanya. Mr Niyom proposed two bills - one named as a reconciliation bill and the other an amnesty bill.

All five MPs rose to confirm they wanted to withdraw their legislation and asked for House approval.

The House voted 310-1 to approve the request.

Mr Charoen adjourned the House meeting immediately after the vote.

Gen Sonthi, who proposed one of the reconciliation bills, told the House that he agreed to withdraw his draft in response to the calls by people in various sectors.

"Before, I did something that many people branded as undemocratic," the former coup leader said.

"Today I am in parliament, I want everything to be done through parliamentary channels.

"I therefore ask for your permission to withdraw the bill."

Gen Sonthi led the Sept 19, 2006, military coup that ended the Thaksin Shinawatra administration.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-11-07

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even the Red Shirt sympathiser at my workplace says the Government are and look in a complete mess. They have really came out of this with a big loss of face and trust.

Or

It's a very calculated move. If so, the anger against them in this country will multiply ten-fold to have been lied and deceived in such a manner.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

PM: Lower House votes to drop all amnesty bills from agenda

PNPOL561107001002801.jpg

BANGKOK, 7 November 2013 (NNT) - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinatra made a statement on Thursday that the House of Representatives had agreed to drop all amnesty draft bills from its agenda.

Ms Yingluck told the press on Thursday afternoon at Government House that the government was no longer pushing ahead with its amnesty efforts. She insisted that the bills were crafted with the intention of reconciling differences within the Thai society and to assist those affected by political protests in recent years.

The blanket amnesty bill, which was passed by the Lower House last week, was widely expected to be rejected by the Senate when it is deliberated on Monday.

During her statement, the premier said the government would by no means use force to disperse protesters at various sites. However, demonstrators were still urged to refrain from entering prohibited sites as it would constitute a felony.

As the government has heeded the call of its people, all demonstrators should end their rallies, the premier said.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-11-07 footer_n.gif

An interesting move, however just remember that classic piece of disinformation by we Brits in W.W. 2. ''The Man Who never was.( Link below for those interested)

Thaksin is not going to give up the fight so easily nor are his family and their brown nosing acolytes, too much is at stake.Disinformation is a powerful strategy and never discoverer until it is too late.

One wonders what the repercussions may be concerning the shortly to be revealed I.C.J. verdict?

That could be a bonus for the government no matter which way the verdict may go, however watch carefully to see if certain matters and measures are pushed through parliament as they are considered to be in the National Interest if the I.C.J. verdict is not favorable to Thailand

Leopards like Thaksin do not change their spots

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-two/6923826/Historian-claims-to-have-finally-identified-wartime-Man-Who-Never-Was.html

I guess that was the planing: Let the Amnesty happen at the same time at the ICJ verdict. Than we are all together very upset about the ICJ and the amnesty is hidden under the anger....

Just it didn't work that way.

I can't tell in which way the verdict will work...pro or anti government?