Redemptorist School-area disabled bemoan lack of progress of wheelchair path

Rimmer

Redemptorist School-area disabled bemoan lack of progress of wheelchair path

n8walkways2.jpg

PATTAYA:--Physically challenged residents using wheelchairs near the Redemptorist Vocational School for Persons with Disabilities are urging Pattaya City Hall to move faster on the already approved plan to construct a dedicated path through their neighborhood.

More than 3 million baht has been allocated for construction of a wheelchair path from Big C Extra on Central Road down Soi Paniadchang leading to the Father Ray Foundation. Yet while the money is approved, construction still hasn’t started, leaving the disabled navigating a narrow, pothole-lined street.

“Certain areas of the roads are uneven and have holes, causing twice the difficulties because, if we are not careful, a front wheel may fall into a hole and we will fall off the wheelchair,” said Singkhorn Thimdee, 28. “My friends have fallen from their wheelchairs many times already and the soi is very narrow. We have to be careful of cars and bikes, particularly at night when we have to purchase lights for our wheelchairs as a signal for others to notice us. … I ask that Pattaya City Hall improve the roads, including increasing inclined paths that are too very high for wheelchair users.”
Full story: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/redemptorist-school-area-disabled-bemoan-lack-of-progress-of-wheelchair-path-31880#sthash.mM95a18J.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2011-11-08 footer_n.gif

I really feel for these people as I see them almost every day struggling with their wheelchairs along this Soi (also known as Soi Yume ).

Sometimes the traffic comes to halt as there is an enormous line of vehicles waiting at the traffic lights on the junction with Pattaya Klang

Crikey it is bad enough to be an able-bodied pedestrian and walk along any part of that area because the motorcyclists who overtake the cars on the LEFTdon't leave any room at all for people to walk and there certainly isnt any room for a wheelchair.

Edited by Asiantravel

Regrettably, these people have it in their heads, somehow, that their needs matter, and that the Thais holding the money are actually going to use it on their needs. Why in the world someone builds a school for the handicapped smack in the middle of the city is beyond me. Civic planning is another demonstration of the mental powers these lunatics display. First create their own problem, and then whine to others, when their problem becomes unmanageable, to fix their problems on the backs of the taxpayers.

In a small way, I sympathize with the ones who promised to put in paths, simply because we all know that it will require moving mountains to get this done, and the budget is not near enough there to do it. Rectifying the encroachments by numerous businesses on the footpaths is merely the beginning of this monstrosity. The bickering, complaining and whining from officials for having to get off their lazy asses and do their job also comes to mind, as well and the business owners bickering, complaining and whining as well. We all know Thais hate confrontation.

Thais seem to have a propensity for weaving the worst kinds of things all around themselves, so that when it comes time to fix a problem, 10,000 other problems must be fixed before the mountain can even have one shovel full dug away. We all know the results and consequences when that happens, right? Nothing happens.

No! I hate to say it, but I think nothing will come of this.

This is another example of COC Rule No.1: "There is no crisis or emergency in Thailand until it happens."

Edited by cup-O-coffee