Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 Official Available

Richard-BKK

While there are quite a few various browser counters which determines and counts which browser is being used when visiiting websites, I think this wikepedia article summaries pretty well the market share each browser has...be sure to scroll down the article for the various percentages shares as reported by different browser counters. And please note even the first part of the article has a note code saying the Netruality of parts of the article are in dispute, as browser preference for some poeple can be like preferences of politic party and religion I expect.

For the next few weeks I'm going to try to be an Independent and Atheist when it comes to browsers, and give IE10, Chrome and FixFox a lot of usage. I've been an IE man all my life for my main laptop...and perfectly happy in doing so...and for me my work computer always ran IE...didn't have no choice there as that is what my companies only allowed on the company LAN but those were the days when IE was the undisputed browser king of the world.

But on my other/secondary laptop which is still running XP and has a lower powered CPU it seems to browse faster/smooth using Chrome over IE8 (apparently IE8 is the highest version that can be installed on XP...when I tried to upgrade to IE9, IE said I couldn't due to the hardware/operating system), but I need to check again to be sure...see if IE11 might load...but Chrome displays some of the text kinda jagged where IE8 don't on this particular computer. Tried various fonts but it hasn't helped.

Anyway, sent to you from my main laptop while using FireFox (for at least the next few hours....need to figure out why the spellchecker don't seem to be working...it is turned on...then I'll switch to Chrome for a few hours). Actually, I can have all three runnning at the same time and very quickly jump between the three in checking the speed & fullness of loading identiical webpages which helps to greatly reduce influencing factors like the speed of your internet connection at any particular time as we know speed, expecially international speed, can vary signficantly during the day and night as worldwide internet loading factors vary.

And I'm defninitely not only making my judgements on which browser seems faster becasue I think when that race is over it will be a photo finish on most computers, especially those running Pentium or higher CPUs as that seems to be what I experienced last night when using all 3 for an hour or so...but more testing will give me a clearer picture on speed. I'm also going to base my judgement on addons/extensions and other factors. Yeap, going to try hard to be a browser Independent and Atheist for a few weeks.

In my post above I make the comment, "Anyway, sent to you from my main laptop while using FireFox (for at least the next few hours....need to figure out why the spellchecker don't seem to be working..."

The FireFox speelcheck is turned on but it won't spell check in the ThaiVisa Editor when writing a post. I've went to other sites/webpages and Firefox spell checks...just won't in the ThaiVisa Editor.

What's the secret to get the FireFox spellchecker to work with the ThaiVisa Editor? From some googling seems some other folks are having this problem on some websites after the latest release of FireFox. And I've tried some of fixes/settings recommended at the FireFox Support Forum, short of going to add-on another spellchecker. Thanks.

P.S. Excuse any misspelled words...I think I caught/fixed most of then manually by a reread...sending from FireFox.

In my post above I make the comment, "Anyway, sent to you from my main laptop while using FireFox (for at least the next few hours....need to figure out why the spellchecker don't seem to be working..."

The FireFox speelcheck is turned on but it won't spell check in the ThaiVisa Editor when writing a post. I've went to other sites/webpages and Firefox spell checks...just won't in the ThaiVisa Editor.

What's the secret to get the FireFox spellchecker to work with the ThaiVisa Editor? From some googling seems some other folks are having this problem on some websites after the latest release of FireFox. And I've tried some of fixes/settings recommended at the FireFox Support Forum, short of going to add-on another spellchecker. Thanks.

P.S. Excuse any misspelled words...I think I caught/fixed most of then manually by a reread...sending from FireFox.

I just added an English Dictionary from the FireFox add-on site and FireFox now identifies misspelled words in the ThaiVisa editor; but at least for me the FireFox built-in spell checker would not spell check in the Thai Visa Editor until adding the dictionary although the FireFox built-in spell checker worked on a couple of other sites I went to to see if it worked before adding this particular English dictionary add-on.

I think when switching/testing another browser and running into these issues is what can turn many people off from switching to/test driving a different browser for very long.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

Yes, Internet Explorer 11 is officially available for MS Windows 7. It's faster than IE 10, but Google Chrome 30 is still king if it comes to performance... Still handy to have installed as Internet Explorer is also the basis for parts of Explorer on your computer so any security benefits will also enhance the your system.

Only of you are naive enough to still be using Microsoft products! �

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Nothing to do with being naive, I run a few websites and installed IE11 on a MS Windows 7 computer running in a virtual machine on my Linux system. I have a few websites and take an interest in knowing that the websites work with the latest browsers.

Naive would be that owners of websites would think that it would work out-of-the-box, even Thaivisa seem to have problems with IE11 so guess they did not checked out the preview and adjusted there website... My websites work currently fine with IE11

I like the alternatives for internet browsing, Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc... etc... the reality is that still most visitors to any website use Microsoft Explorer....

• Like 1

If you use a touchscreen, Chrome in Win8 mode is quite usable.

Did anyone else notice that there are differences between the Win 8.1 and Windows 7 versions of IE11?

Internet Explorer 11 arrived for Windows 7 last week but some key features are missing, particularly in the field of HTML5-enabled film, TV and audio.

Microsoft has compiled a list of features you'll find in IE11 on Windows 8.1 but which have been pulled from the version of its latest browser that targets Windows 7.

Some features in the areas of touch, screen orientation and security you'd expect to go, given that Windows 8.1 is supposed to be the version of Windows for tablets.

Windows 7 was built for laptops and PCs - not for tablets.

Other omissions, however, are head-scratchers and highlight Windows 8's tie into the Microsoft store and Microsoft's desire to promote Windows 8.1 tables as entertainment devices.

It also underlines Microsoft's desire to push users onto Windows 8.1 machines and leave the era of keyboard and mouse and the Windows 7 generation behind it.

Gone from IE11 for Windows 7 is HTML5 Encrypted Media Extensions (EME), which allows you to play DRM'd film, TV and music without a plug-in.

Also AWOL is HTML5's Media Source Extensions, which lets you play MPEG-DASH for dynamic active streaming of video over the internet. And gone, too, is the UI Responsiveness tool, which allows you to profile your webpage's frame rate and various types of CPU usage to help you analyse UI performance problems.

• Like 1

Yes, Internet Explorer 11 is officially available for MS Windows 7. It's faster than IE 10, but Google Chrome 30 is still king if it comes to performance... Still handy to have installed as Internet Explorer is also the basis for parts of Explorer on your computer so any security benefits will also enhance the your system.

Only of you are naive enough to still be using Microsoft products! �

Nothing to do with being naive, I run a few websites and installed IE11 on a MS Windows 7 computer running in a virtual machine on my Linux system. I have a few websites and take an interest in knowing that the websites work with the latest browsers.

I know you're a Linux user, that's why I wrote that. My winky-smiley didn't come through. I just can't help poking a sharp stick!

• Like 1

Did anyone else notice that there are differences between the Win 8.1 and Windows 7 versions of IE11?

Internet Explorer 11 arrived for Windows 7 last week but some key features are missing, particularly in the field of HTML5-enabled film, TV and audio.

Microsoft has compiled a list of features you'll find in IE11 on Windows 8.1 but which have been pulled from the version of its latest browser that targets Windows 7.

Some features in the areas of touch, screen orientation and security you'd expect to go, given that Windows 8.1 is supposed to be the version of Windows for tablets.

Other omissions, however, are head-scratchers and highlight Windows 8's tie into the Microsoft store and Microsoft's desire to promote Windows 8.1 tables as entertainment devices.

It also underlines Microsoft's desire to push users onto Windows 8.1 machines and leave the era of keyboard and mouse and the Windows 7 generation behind it.

Gone from IE11 for Windows 7 is HTML5 Encrypted Media Extensions (EME), which allows you to play DRM'd film, TV and music without a plug-in.

Also AWOL is HTML5's Media Source Extensions, which lets you play MPEG-DASH for dynamic active streaming of video over the internet. And gone, too, is the UI Responsiveness tool, which allows you to profile your webpage's frame rate and various types of CPU usage to help you analyse UI performance problems.

Chicog,

Is this also really saying that IE11 for Win 7 is less capable than IE10 for Win 7? Seems odd they would basically go backwards in making IE11 less capable than/more better than IE10...but I guess that is what the article is saying, right? Especially if it's really just another sneaky way to push more people to switch from Win 7 to Win 8.

I know when I loaded IE11 for Win 7 for a few hours, appearance- and settings-wise I couldn't see any differences...I mean none. But I only used it for a few hours before Restoring to IE10 since I ran into that ThaiVisa Editor compatibility problem and figured maybe there are some other sites which hadn't updated their sites yet to be fully compatible with IE11...figured I would wait a few months to give sites time to catch up. .I even checked the browser version number a few times to confirm I was indeed running IE11 since I didn't see any differences other than IE11 seeming just a little faster than IE10 (not to imply IE10 was slow because it wasn't).

Pib

Chicog,

Is this also really saying that IE11 for Win 7 is less capable than IE10 for Win 7? Seems odd they would basically go backwards in making IE11 less capable than/more better than IE10...but I guess that is what the article is saying, right? Especially if it's really just another sneaky way to push more people to switch from Win 7 to Win 8.

I know when I loaded IE11 for Win 7 for a few hours, appearance- and settings-wise I couldn't see any differences...I mean none. But I only used it for a few hours before Restoring to IE10 since I ran into that ThaiVisa Editor compatibility problem and figured maybe there are some other sites which hadn't updated their sites yet to be fully compatible with IE11...figured I would wait a few months to give sites time to catch up. .I even checked the browser version number a few times to confirm I was indeed running IE11 since I didn't see any differences other than IE11 seeming just a little faster than IE10 (not to imply IE10 was slow because it wasn't).

Pib

I think if anything they are trying to push developers to IE11 rather than users.

Commander tamson: I would suggest giving the latest version of Chrome a trial. It seems to run as fast as IE 10 but does take some getting used to. I tried the version for Win 8 but experienced some lockups - pages that I couldn't load but then couldn't close either. I'm still trying to get used to how Chrome handles my home page set and other features. Also, I'm a little flummoxed by how Gmail combines a series of messages and replies into one long document. In the meantime, I'm finding some workarounds for problem sites in IE 11, so these days I have Chrome, IE 11 and Outlook open on my desktop at the same time!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Internet Expleror 11 has surely increaed in performance, but as I said before Google Chrome is still the best choice if you want compatibility, speed and security. Just do the test yoourself and look which one is the fastest http://peacekeeper.futuremark.com/

A good runner up to performance is the 64-bits browser from the Waterfox project, Waterfox 24 seems to keep up with Chrome for most of the tests. (http://www.waterfoxproject.org) on a computer with an Intel processor that is, as the whole browser is created with the 64-bits C++ compiler from Intel..

Internet Expleror 11 has surely increaed in performance, but as I said before Google Chrome is still the best choice if you want compatibility, speed and security. Just do the test yoourself and look which one is the fastest http://peacekeeper.futuremark.com/

A good runner up to performance is the 64-bits browser from the Waterfox project, Waterfox 24 seems to keep up with Chrome for most of the tests. (http://www.waterfoxproject.org) on a computer with an Intel processor that is, as the whole browser is created with the 64-bits C++ compiler from Intel..

Richard,

As mentioned in my post 31 where I've decided to use and compare IE, Chrome, and FireFox for a few weeks, yesterday and today I ran the Peacemaker benchmark (even though in post 31 said I would try to avoid benchmarks which can be biased or may really simulate real world browsing), here's the results I got. The results are for IE10 (using IE10 since I restored from IE11 due to TV Editor capability issues with IE11), Chrome 30 and FireFox 25...for the later two browsers those versions are their lastest.

Yesterday/Today (higher number is better)

Chrome: 1556 / 1529

FF: 952 / 985

IE: 853 / 854 (I expect the score would be higher if running IE11)

Now does Chrome's much high score in the Peacemaker benchmark make it around 40% faster than IE or FireFox? Well, I can definite say no based on my real world testing so far...by real world I just mean using each browser to surf the internet. Another test I've been running is having all three browsers open, go to the same website on each browser like to CNN, and then switch between different areas/links on the website and see how long it takes the page to fully load in each browser. I do go to various websites to run this side-by-side testing, not just CNN...I even use ThaiVisa. I have also turned off tracking/ad blocking for now so not to skew the results...you might say let all of those ads that can bog down the speed of a website come through. My results when doing this real world test show all three browsers are very close to each other in surfing speed...I mean in one browser the page may full load in 3 seconds, the next one 3 seconds also, the next one maybe closer to 4 seconds than 3 seconds. Now sometimes I have run into pages where one browser fully loads the page in 3 seconds and another browser in 5 seconds which is easy to notice. In those cases I will usually rerun the page load in case it was just a momentary download speed issue.

I'm also learning other things in having all three browsers open and using them pretty much equally during the day...things like which interface I prefer, how they may interface with other web services or programs on your computer, the variety of add-ons/extensions available (IE is the sure loser in the add-on/extensions department), etc.

Yeap, doing my best to be a "browser" Independent and Atheist for a while....or said another way, a browser equal opportunity user for a while.

Pib

My score with the Peacekeeper test is a bit different, but the margins between the different browsers are similar.

Google Chrome 31 6859

Waterfox 24 - 4267

Internet Explorer 11 - 3849

Waterfox and IE 11 are both 64-bits and the Google Chrome 31 browser is still a 32-bits browser.

My score with the Peacekeeper test is a bit different, but the margins between the different browsers are similar.

Google Chrome 31 6859

Waterfox 24 - 4267

Internet Explorer 11 - 3849

Waterfox and IE 11 are both 64-bits and the Google Chrome 31 browser is still a 32-bits browser.

Since benchmarks are easily influenced by CPU and GPU horsepower, I expect you are running an i5 or i7-based computer with a similarly recent technology GPU...but for me, I running a 7 year laptop with Pentium Core Duo and ATI X1300 GPU. However, if you are running an i5/i7 'puter I bet how fast webpages appear on each of our computers if very, very similar vs the big difference between our Peacekeeper scores...and of course the internet speed plan could make a big difference ( I have a 15Mb/1.5Mb plan).

FYI regarding the use of IE11 in a lower IE version emulation mode (i.e., IE10, IE9, etc) if you are have problems with a particular website using IE11 even with it set to Compatibiliy View...always try Compatibility View as that almost always fixes your issue. But running the ThaiVisa Editor in IE11 Compatibility View won't fix your issue...you need to set IE11 to a lower IE emulation mode until the ThaiVisa Editor is tweaked to be fully compatible with IE11. See this other ThaiVisa thread/topic.

The thing is that IE11 is to compatible with the international web-standards, this is completely new – normally you had the standard and the Microsoft standard. So when people visit websites like Thaivisa who have a script running to identify the web browser you use, they find IE and direct you to IE compatible standard... that fails as IE11 is more compatible with the regular international standard....

Therefore if you would set the browser in IE7 standard compatible mode it will all work fine. Or the developers from Thaivisa could incoperate something like <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" /> in the header of there website...