Two Russian tourists die in crash in Thailand after driver dozes off at wheel

webfact

What nobody seems to be talking about here, is that this appears to be another tragedy caused by the Thai Immigration laws.

I can only guess that 3 Russians from Koh Samui were going to the Malaysian border on a Visa Run.

This system causes far too much unnecessary travel to get your visa extended. The danger involved in the journeys, the cost of fuel and maintenance, and the general wear and tear

on the roads, combined with the cost of labor and facilities at the border checkpoints, just seems ridiculous, when they could implement a localized system, where you just pay larger fees

to extend your visa close to where you stay.

When will the relevant ministry take a good look at changing this outdated system?

Well it was pleasant to read sensible suggestions backed up with a sensible set of facts. Thank you.smile.png

I do take exception to your claim that it was caused by Thai immigration laws.

It was caused because one person chose to drive to the point where they could no longer stay awake. A point that people the world over are constantly reaching.sad.png

No where in any set of laws in Thailand are you made to drive to that point.wai2.gif

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a valid question to ask how do they know he fell asleep. So soon after the accident and driver likely has serious injuries. It's not like they look in the car wreck and find a snoring driver at the wheel.

Wow, Dr Watson I would never have thought of that. You should know the press, police probably said I looks like that as no other vehicle involved, no slippery wet road, no cow, horse, person or no banana skins on the road and the press reporter just takes it to give a good headline. They were coming back from Malaysia police prob check the passports and see the entry stamp and surmised a probable cause and it is taken as the cause by the incompetent reporter (paper)

Is it your first instinct to criticize?

Someone questioned the certainty with which the cause is attributed and was beat down for it, I think it's valid to do so - and so do you!

Given that you already know everything it's a wonder you even bother opening threads.

In the U.K, they frequently have 'rumble strips' at the side of major roads and motorways, and large signs extolling one to pull into a service station and rest. I did just that, and must have slept for just over 2 hours on a long drive back from Scotland. A week later I received a 'fine' from the Service station of the equivalent of

4,000 baht for overstay. I went on the Internet, to find literally hundreds of other drivers in the same predicament, but interspersed with lawyers comments, urging no-one to pay up because it is not a public highway!

So, it did not take too much persuasion for me to follow the advice, and do nothing. More threatening letters have followed, and when I left the U.K for BKK a couple of weeks ago, the 'fine' had escalated to 12,500 baht and will be rising! Still plan do nothing ! Wonder if they will want to take the matter to court when it reaches

100,000 baht?!!

It's a valid question to ask how do they know he fell asleep. So soon after the accident and driver likely has serious injuries. It's not like they look in the car wreck and find a snoring driver at the wheel.

It was that or suicide and asleep at the wheel is less paperwork and nosy folk from home asking questions. No locals, no investigation needed.

Nice easy way not to investigate or take things any further....and with non thais only involved..less complicated.

Looks like a new Bangkok registration so unlikely that the steering failed...eh...No cant say that....motorbike overtook and driver tried to avoid...nope ...witnesses..nope.........Burst Tyre.....???

RIP the dead.....

probably wet road or a truck turned in front of him or he did'nt know the road................anything but....oh never mind !

This thread has to rank up there with the all time dunpest posts in Thai Visa history.

Here is the article.

BANGKOK: -- Two Russian tourists were killed in a road accident on Nakhon-Surat Road in Nakorn Si Thammarat province yesterday after the driver reportedly dozed off and crashed the vehicle into a large tree.

Police and rescue workers arrived at the scene to find two Russians trapped inside the damaged car. They were later identified as Mr. Muttafan, 35 and Ms. Aya, 28 (spelling transcribed from Thai text).

Nearby, police found another Russian tourist, identified as Ms. Ira, 28, who is believed to have been thrown out of the car.

The tourists were transported to Sichon Hospital, where Mr. Muttafan and Ms. Ira later died.

Initial investigation revealed that the Russians are relatives on their vacation in Thailand. The family had previously holidayed in Samui Island and later traveled to Malaysia, police said.

On their way back to Samui Island from Malaysia, Mr. Muttafan, who was driving the car, fell asleep and caused the car to spin off the road, eventually hitting a large tree, according to the officers.

No problem knowing who was thrown out and who died. The driver would easily be identifies by the survivor. Unbelievable the naive number of posters unwilling to accept the fact the driver fell asleep at the wheel. Each and every poster that disputed that fact would probably not have a qualm with it if it said the driver was a Thai and he was drunk.

People are so naive they carry on like it was never heard of to have some one fall asleep at the wheel. Thailand is like a magnet for Naive people.

edit

Let the flames begin.

I am not naive enough to think people will change their minds. I know my opinion is going to raise their hackles.

Edited by hellodolly

This thread has to rank up there with the all time dunpest posts in Thai Visa history.

Here is the article.

BANGKOK: -- Two Russian tourists were killed in a road accident on Nakhon-Surat Road in Nakorn Si Thammarat province yesterday after the driver reportedly dozed off and crashed the vehicle into a large tree.

Police and rescue workers arrived at the scene to find two Russians trapped inside the damaged car. They were later identified as Mr. Muttafan, 35 and Ms. Aya, 28 (spelling transcribed from Thai text).

Nearby, police found another Russian tourist, identified as Ms. Ira, 28, who is believed to have been thrown out of the car.

The tourists were transported to Sichon Hospital, where Mr. Muttafan and Ms. Ira later died.

Initial investigation revealed that the Russians are relatives on their vacation in Thailand. The family had previously holidayed in Samui Island and later traveled to Malaysia, police said.

On their way back to Samui Island from Malaysia, Mr. Muttafan, who was driving the car, fell asleep and caused the car to spin off the road, eventually hitting a large tree, according to the officers.

No problem knowing who was thrown out and who died. The driver would easily be identifies by the survivor. Unbelievable the naive number of posters unwilling to accept the fact the driver fell asleep at the wheel. Each and every poster that disputed that fact would probably not have a qualm with it if it said the driver was a Thai and he was drunk.

People are so naive they carry on like it was never heard of to have some one fall asleep at the wheel. Thailand is like a magnet for Naive people.

edit

Let the flames begin.

I am not naive enough to think people will change their minds. I know my opinion is going to raise their hackles.

This topic has long past it's sell by date.

Apart from the actual incident and all the crazy too-ing and fro-ing I am sorry for the person injured and the deaths.

it really is not complicated, but posters make it so.

Scrap the crap topic and lets move on.

• Like 1

Falling asleep at the wheel happens a lot in Australia. Just imagine driving from Cairns to Brisbane , 2'000 klm, with as little breaks as possible.

In Queensland they have a "ripple strip" along the kerb side of the highway about two metres out.. When you drive on it or pass over, you get a loud thumping noise and a mild vibration on the steering wheel, this will wake you up immediately.

The girl who survived my sister and she was sleeping before the accident, in the morning they were at the wheel and the road they had tired badly. Given the fact that the driver was at the wheel of time, or even two, the burden on his body was stupendous!

How do know the driver doze off ?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

How do you know he didn't?

Come on you conspiracy theorists, get your morning coffee down your neck and start typing.

Hey there WHO GIVES A F-U-CK if he was asleep or couldn't DRIVE,,,,,,,,,,,DEATH IS DEATH,,,,,,,poor bastard sad.png

How do know the driver doze off ?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

How do you know he didn't?

Come on you conspiracy theorists, get your morning coffee down your neck and start typing.

If the officers or anyone else did not actually witness the driver snoozing at the wheel while the vehicle crashed then it is impossible to claim that this was the cause. Not a conspiracy theory just common sense and an appropriate question to ask given the claim stated in the article. There is no mention if Ms. Aya survived the crash and may have witnessed the driver snoozing, however if this was the case why didn't she wake him up unless she was snoozing too. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

The chain of misleading headlines begins thus :

"Two Russian tourists die as Thai driver sleeps at wheel;‏"

The narrative says one of the three passengers -- all part of a Russian family -- was driving the vehicle.

Is the plot getting thicker ? Where is the missing Thai driver now ?