Road works have improved

Two major complaints that I think we can all agree about when it comes to Samui:

1. How bad people drive here

2. How bad the road conditions are.

Well, I don't think we can improve #1, but recently, #2 has seen great improvements.

Has anybody else taken notice of this?

A. Check out the Water Drains (grills) in MaeNam nearing the Honda Dealer left side, going towards Bang Thai, Bang Por direction, ring road.

B. Then there is that tourist area in Nathon, ring road.

C. The area way past Lamai, going towards Na Mueang Water Fall, ring road.

Recently, I don't feel like I'm galloping on a horse, but a normal motorbike.thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

They have also been carrying out a major drain cleaning exercise recently.

On the main ring road and even on the loop road by Big Buddha.

Well done

Absolutely, well done.

This is a moment I tip my hats to Samui governance. clap2.gif

As a tourist it's always interesting to see what improvements that has been done since last visit.

Some good some bad.

The roadwork i personally like, and i hope that the traffic accidents down there has dropped because of better roads.

2012 July on the left, 2013 July on the right

Sorry for the not so professional setup wink.png

post-138525-0-01052800-1384002963_thumb.

Coming back March 2014 and will be interesting to see what new things that has been done to Samui.

Not that i am a fan of all the new things that has happened.

They closed down my favorite bar on the Island and saw on youtube, that everything has been torn down sad.png

I wonder if they put up signs saying 'Give way to right' on that roundabout in Chaweng it would make any difference? rolleyes.gif

There were signs there explaining that - in both Thai and English. It made no difference. Lorries, cement trucks, mini buses and Toyota Fortuna drivers all think that they have right of way.whistling.gif

• Like 1

If you rememer 4 years ago the central goverment granted 900 millions bath to make asphalt on the roads in Samui. And what has happened? Half of the Ring road is been taken care of, The other half from Nathon- Maenam and to Fishermen Village is still in very bad condition. And the down part of Gost Road must be the absolut worst road in Thailand. Did you say IMPROVEMENT?

I don't think the road from Nathon to Maenam is that bad.... but agree about the Ghost road and some areas around Chawang... blink.png

Nice to see they fixed the grates near Bophut lights again, last week and cleaned out some of the drains between Maenam and Bophut !

Between Nathon and Hua Thanon, although slowish progress, that's a vast improvement and what is was.... should be good when finished... obviously not many people travel that route to know, ... but parts are like a super highway..thumbsup.gif(perhaps not good for those who speed thoughsad.png )

The road between Maenam Soi one and Lamai, except for some sand wash off in some areas, is now fixed! thumbsup.gif

Yes - some forward thinking here with the Bo Phut drain sludge-out. Well done! But considering that there is no outlet to the sea along this stretch (well, none that I've seen being put in, or heard about) this is a necessity. When there is heavy rain it can only drain away by seepage into the subsoil. So if it's all sludged up, the whole object is defeated and there may as well be no drain at all. I can understand the resorts in Bo Phut being reluctant to have their entire estate ploughed up for an outlet pipe, but what about the public roads running through to the beach? There's one that twists past Hansar and another that's the back end of the walking street? There must be a reason or they would have gone this route.

Just a thought about the last part of the tarmac-ing - is it my imagination but have they been putting off the biggest headache until last? The road from Nathon to Chaweng isn't too narrow from Nathon to Mae Nam. but from the temple/Lomprayah bend right through to Chaweng Noi would be a real problem to choke down to single file traffic while they fix the road (though some of the wider bits of this have been done already). And this is the stretch that gets the heaviest traffic flow, too. I wonder when (and how!) this will get done?

R

Edited by robsamui

WOW - impressed.

As I have said for a long time - Mr mayor is doing OK by me.

yes - lots of helmet checks lately. bophut (at least once a week) and Bangrak now and again.)

Not only are they checking helmets, but also tax discs (on cars as well) and overloading plus immigrant workers.

Stay safe people!