Term times for new academic year 2014.

Eddy B

Well my wife has just informed me that her mother who is working in a local government school was at a meeting last week at the local education office and they said that primary, high school and the university that are governemnt run are all changing their start dates for 2014. For the primary and high school it will be now June instead of May, the university August instead of June/July. Has anyone else heard this information? My source is reliable and 100% not telling lies to her daughter or me from what she was told at the meeting, of course this could all change with the political storm which is happening in BKK at the moment but what will the schools be paying teachers if it is an extended break, visa's only running to the end of terms in March/April? This will be worrying for many teachers if this is true because they will be left in the lurch for at least a month even maybe two.

Edited by Eddy B

I have never been able to figure out who makes decision in this country for sure. The Minister may say one thing, but the new minister, when they reshuffle, may decide something different. And not that it matters, if someone more important than the Minister decides to decide something different, which could be changed by somebody else. Of course, they could just change it all back again, too.

• Like 2

The primary/secondary schools which you mentioned, are they part of the university? e.g. Demonstration schools.

As they usually don't start until June (Most government schools start in mid May).

So you might have simply been getting passed on information that the schools start dates is changing to June (even though it was June last year, to technically not changing), because they had originally planned on the start dates for all primary/secondary schools to be August in 2014 (Although they decided to not change it because it was too much hassle, instead only the Universities have changed from June to August).

• Like 1

Thanks Sly, so it might have changed for those schools that decided to change the date, but it won't change for those who haven't decided to change the date yet?

.....Oh goodness, I will get my coffee and go back to bed for a while.

Wake me up when someone can figure out who is in charge of this country.

(I was told our schools were going to change....maybe.....it depends).

Thanks Sly, so it might have changed for those schools that decided to change the date, but it won't change for those who haven't decided to change the date yet?

Well maybe, but I wouldn't be so sure if i were you :-)

.....Oh goodness, I will get my coffee and go back to bed for a while.

Wake me up when someone can figure out who is in charge of this country.

(I was told our schools were going to change....maybe.....it depends).

I'm just speculating :-P

Since the government announced last month that the term start dates would remain unchanged.

This might have simply taken a while before it filtered through to an "official meeting" level. As I wouldn't be surprised if the government's plans to not adjust the term, were simply unveiled to the media before the Education office's monthly director's meeting.

But you never know what will happen when government officials have a meeting. It would make sense for them to change the term dates slightly, as this would be a compromise on what was initially proposed, and so might leave everyone feeling satisfied (And there would probably be some practical reasons as well, so not just all about saving face).

Either way, if anything has changed, I'd expect a news article about it to pop up soon.

The primary/secondary schools which you mentioned, are they part of the university? e.g. Demonstration schools.

As they usually don't start until June (Most government schools start in mid May).

So you might have simply been getting passed on information that the schools start dates is changing to June (even though it was June last year, to technically not changing), because they had originally planned on the start dates for all primary/secondary schools to be August in 2014 (Although they decided to not change it because it was too much hassle, instead only the Universities have changed from June to August).

The information I was told was from only Friday the 8th of November last week not last month. Forget about what was said by someone last month. My Thai wifes mother works in a local primary government school and many others were called into the meeting from many other schools. They were told that June will be the new start date not May as the norm. That goes for government high schools also. Edited by Eddy B

Not sure. But I think just last month the Minister of Education said it would NOT change in 2014... but I wouldn't be surprised if the memo never went out.biggrin.png:D

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

I heard it was 2017 as The M.of. Ed. are not prepared for joining and synchronising term start dates.

The information I was told was from only Friday the 8th of November last week not last month. Forget about what was said by someone last month. My Thai wifes mother works in a local primary government school and many others were called into the meeting from many other schools. They were told that June will be the new start date not May as the norm. That goes for government high schools also.

Is that for government schools only? Just wondering whether it will affect our private school - we choose to open 2 weeks before them anyway so I guess it is probably up to us really!!

A post with a link to the BKK post has been removed. Here is the rule:

31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

I don't have a link to prove it, but apparently the case, for primary and secondary schools, is as follows (at the moment)...

Schools WERE all going to change their term dates in the next academic year, to bring all ASEAN countries inline with each other.

But then the education ministry decided that the 2014 school year will start as usual in May.

The 2014 school year will START at the usual time, but END a month later than usual, at the beginning of April 2015. This is so that the following school year can start in June, without giving an unreasonably long school holiday. wacko.png

So the 2015 school year will run from June 2015 to April 2016, and that will continue until the world explodes...

Or until the next education minister decides to assert him/herself.

• Like 1