Buying fry

Ozybear

I only went to look to make sure it was operational after giving you the info. They had 50 or so bags of eating fish of different varieties available for purchase today at 100 baht per bag.

I say eating fish as they also have an aquarium type fish operation.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, will look into it more on my return as I'm heading back in. 10 days and the dams didn't get dug out in time. Just found a barra breeder and I'm also looking into that, more for fun, but thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

2 Bath is too much but...

If you just want to do a test run not looking at the ultimate point of profit go for it.

Last year I did a test run and ordered 500 at 2 Bath, got 666 in the bags but only 180 survived the first week facepalm.gif

So never again the small distributor in Kut Chap.

Bye

Derk

2 Bath is too much but...

If you just want to do a test run not looking at the ultimate point of profit go for it.

Last year I did a test run and ordered 500 at 2 Bath, got 666 in the bags but only 180 survived the first week Posted Image

So never again the small distributor in Kut Chap.

Bye

Derk

Pretty much the same here but bin bought from the back of the delivery truck that visits the village. 2000 and ended up with around 300.

@ozybear,

Are you raising barramundi fish?

Seriously looking into it as I will be digging a few more dams and one huge dam for this once the land has dried out completely to get the excavation work done ready for next years wet season. Plenty if time to study as it will be for anglers as well as food production.

Any hints on freshwater barra farming? Food, water parameters and so forth?

I will be visiting asiatropics in the next few days, protests permitting. Lol.

The wife was given 3 rai of land of paddy from her father. I wanted to raise the land to build a small orchard. When speaking with the excavation company they wanted 30,000 for 100 trucks of soil. They suggested if they could take the soil from our land then it would go up to 150 trucks for the same price. Now I have 2 large holes in the ground each are about 10m wide and 20 m long. It looks like I'll be raising some farm fish in the near future. Still haven't decided on which fish to raise, but Barramundi is in the running.

Ps, we get the dams dug for free as we only use a small portion if the soil then give the rest to the excavation company to resell for fill. We have 25ish rai and do this each year as the money comes in from the fish sales to restock and pay the bills for the following year until we have enough. 5 years to go.

@ozybear,

Are you raising barramundi fish?

Seriously looking into it as I will be digging a few more dams and one huge dam for this once the land has dried out completely to get the excavation work done ready for next years wet season. Plenty if time to study as it will be for anglers as well as food production.

Barra do not take readily to pellet food ,as they are an ambush hunter you really need another mixed sex variety in the pond to provide prey/food.

Tilapia are not a good option as they will soon breed quicker than the barra can consume them.

@ozybear,

Are you raising barramundi fish?

Barra do not take readily to pellet food ,as they are an ambush hunter you really need another mixed sex variety in the pond to provide prey/food.

Tilapia are not a good option as they will soon breed quicker than the barra can consume them.

totally understand, but as a Queenslander that has local barra farms and asking them questions recently, as long as they are trained as fry to eat appropriate pellets it should be fine. Don't put other fry in for a treat as they go off pellets as I have learnt in the past with aquarium barra. They will eat pellets from the beginning , so keep them that way.

Tilapia will be in the shallow ponds and the barra in the deeper ponds.

• 1 year later...

I don't know about Udon but there is a Large government fish hatchery in Khon kaen located right about just North of where the 'A' is:

Is this place still open?

I will be up in KKC in a few days and am after a few different fish for my dam.

• 2 months later...

Just an update here. I couldn't find the place from the Google maps link but after phoning the number in post no 4 we got directions to the place. Basically just off Mitraphap road south of Khon Kaen just before the turn off to Maha Sarakham and Kosum Phisai.

Pretty large set up with 50 Rai of ponds with numerous species of fish. We bought 6 different types and will be back for more once we release these from the hapas into the main pond. Sells at 100 baht per bag with unknown numbers inside - basically a scoop full of fish. They have different species too at different times of the year. When we were there 2 months ago they had Sawai, Rohu, Caho, Giant Mekhong, Pacu and a few others which escape me at present, along with the common Nile Tilapia, Red Tilapia, catfish, Java Barb etc. I am waiting for Giant Gourami.

Can fully recommend the place for anyone wishing to stock a pond with different species for angling and or fun. Probably get a good deal if you want bulk fry to feed up and sell too.