Funny examples of Tinglish (Thai/English)

Paangjang

Didn't read everything so apologies if this was already given:

Smi (with a long sound 'i') = smile. Thais don't have words ending with an 'L' sound - hence the L is always left off the end of every word when pronounced.

They do, ล (L) is at the end of many words but it is pronounced as (N)

I stand corrected. It is the 'L' sound to which I was referring.

Most of these are not "Thai/English," they are specifically BAR GIRL English.

I think you like bar girls since you are saying they are specifically from a bar girl. How uniformed you really are

Although my girlfriend ( who is a Thai actress) is pretty good in English and was never a "bar girl" she does use a few of those mentioned phrases

So I am just going to assume you are the typical beer drinking, bar hoping, pot belly bar girl wolf .not knowing that most woman are not bar girls

Don't disagree with your comments, although its always dangerous to stereotype.......................

Talking of which, slipping the comment in about your gf being a Thai actress with negative emphasis on the "bar girl' suggest certain stereotyping too. whistling.gif

I can only say that it is not too hard to say that a Bar girl is a Bar girl. I for one would not date a bar girl and call it what it is She is a prostitute working in a bar. This is not a stereo type

Bar girls are just that. I would not be with, date or have anything to do with BG. Do you want to be with a lady that has slept with 100s of other men. In a nut shell NO

I've slept with loads of women in my life and no women has refused me on the grounds I've slept with loads of women. It would be churlish (nay I would be a complete to$$er) if I refused to sleep with them on the grounds they had slept with loads of men.

How old are you - twelve?

tongue.pngtongue.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've slept with loads of women in my life and no women has refused me on the grounds I've slept with loads of women. It would be churlish (nay I would be a complete to$$er) if I refused to sleep with them on the grounds they had slept with loads of men.

How old are you - twelve?

tongue.png:P

You are the perfect farang husband for the perfect upstanding Thai lady 5555!

One that I hear quite a lot is "Something like that". Phrases like that always makes me wonder how they entered into the vocabulary so widely.

I do not know if English is your mother tongue, but most certainly your grammer is not quite right. The second sentence should read either "A phrase like this always makes me...", or "phrases like this always make me..." Do you know the saying "if one sits in a glass house, one should not throw stones"????.....

Learn to spell Mr. Grammer!!

Well, say what you like, BG or not.

I wish my Thaiglish was as good as their Tinglish.

Just get a tone wrong and the complement you tried to pay, like you are beautiful, turns out to be you have problems,

and I won't mention the tone on kii, OK then, from ride a M/C to sh1t.

Further more, very many Thais have learned their English from folk whose first language is NOT English. (pop into a Uni and have a listen in at an English class.....)

This may explain why many of these charming expressions are so wide spread.

When Thai's speak they are not required to pronounce the end of every word, only make the shape with the mouth, no sound.

This is why they speak other languages the way they do.

As an example, It is very difficult for a Thai to speak Spanish because the Spanish language relies on the word ending so you know who is being talked about.

However, the structure of the Spanish language is very close to Thai, e.g. Wat Yai = Temple Big. flower white etc.

Are we done with the BG BS now or not?

If not, would those who wish to discuss Bar Girls please start a new thread!

Meanwhile, back to the topic....

You don't worry, I love you too much.

My friend me. - my friend

Inside please - shop owners random beckoning

Can sit - please sit here.

Put down the breaker - turn, place, or set the electric breaker to the off position.

Are you boring? - hear in Japan often as well

Love/hate the second one..... "INSIDE, INSIDE!"

• 7 years later...

i have 2 separate categories in this subject that  i find interesting.  The first is words that Thai people use when speaking Thai, but the words originated from English:

sentan = Central (shopping mall)

cheet = cheese

bypat = bypass (road around a city)

footbat = footpath

metan cheet = sheet metal

ower = over (something over the limit)

Other category is vocabulary words in English that my gf remembers incorrectly because they probably sound similar to her at first and then get stuck in memory.

what she says / the word she meant to say:

jungle / junction

fortuner / funeral

button / bottle

bottle / button

attitude / statue

pray meditation / pay attention

I'm so happy that she understands the difference between subjective and objective case grammar for the words "he" and "him".  In my opinion, that is the most painful "bar girl grammar" for me to hear. gf has never been a bar girl, but has learned most of her English informally.  So, I am happy that she learned how to say he/his/him correctly before we met.

Edited by captainjackS

• 2 weeks later...