Driving in Thailand - perception versus reality...

Histavia

Is it a good idea to drive in Thailand? Well it’s probably not for the fainted-hearted or indecisive; nobody is suggesting that the roads of Thailand are as “safe” as those of say UK, which are among the safest in the world - All the same; I’d still recommend driving oneself if the opportunity arises, whether you are living here or just visiting. You certainly don’t need to be adrenalin junky or tired of living to get a kick out of driving in Thailand and the rewards are well worth it.
The driving environment in Thailand is different from most people’s home countries; but despite what seems to be the opinion of many foreigners, the situation in Thailand cannot simply be put down to a superabundance of “stupid” drivers, nor is any racially based tendency to drive worse or less skilfully than any other people or nationalities - including Westerners.
Edited for fair use: original here http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2360463
Edited by Crossy
Fair use
  • Like 1

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not neccesarily other drivers either, its the dam_n roads themselves.

You can be hurtling down a carriageway at 70kph and for no apparent reason the road changes from flat blacktop or concrete to an area of pot holes broken road humps bumps etc right out of nowhere, absolutely lethal ! And if that happens after dark, you got no chance because most are not lit either.

The road east from Thaton is full of potholes that go on for miles and miles. Someone got sold a dud when they let that contract!

• Like 1

Driving in thailand is a ckusterfrack.

Roads are terrible. Drivers are generally uneducated and self absorbed. Another huge problem is the lack of a quality extensive rail shipping network in Thailand whose lack forces far too high a number of heavy vehicles onto poorly built and maintained Thai roads.

didnt drive for the first two visits, just sat back and watched the other drivers then when I moved here I got my car and bike licence as I understood that the driving rules here are, there are no rules and knew exactly what I needed to do, be very, very careful of everyone else as they have no idea what they are doingw00t.gif

• Like 2

I really dont know and understand why people have fears of driving a car in thailand. When driving 1self 1 is in control. When driving in a bus, taxi or minivan 1 gives control to somebody else.

Driving in thailand is more EXPECT THE UNEXPECTECED than in socalled civilized countries. Driving anywhere in the world requires concentration, awareness and anticipation.

I always liked driving in Thailand...yes indeed have escaped couple of times a serious accident due to .......well fill it in.

• Like 1

You can be hurtling down a carriageway at 70kph and for no apparent reason the road changes from flat blacktop or concrete to an area of pot holes broken road humps bumps etc right out of nowhere, absolutely lethal ! And if that happens after dark, you got no chance because most are not lit either.

The road east from Thaton is full of potholes that go on for miles and miles. Someone got sold a dud when they let that contract!

as the person that let the contract managed to retain a significant portion of the budgeted amount allotted for the project for him/herself., I wouldnt agree they got sold a dud.

• Like 1

after the first paragraph i scrolled to the end;

Been driving in Thailand Cars and Motorcycles for almost 30 years,

no more dangerous than anywhere else as long as u dive offensiely

and

1, turn signals on don't mean there turning

2, your side can be the other persons side as well going with you or against you

"As long as you drive offensively"!!!

I agree that it is certainly not relaxing.

The way I drive is to imagine every other driver on the road is going to make a potentially dangerous manoeuvre and to use your imagination as to what that manoeuvre is going to involve and then plan accordingly. That way instead of experiencing a nasty surprise when someone does something stupid you experienced a pleasant surprise momentarily when they don’t and then it's on to the next one and so on and so on.smile.png I drive to survive

for example, have you ever noticed how many motorists come rushing up to the T-junction as if they're not expecting to slow down or stop because of vehicles travelling from their right? It's like they are almost surprised that they have to stop

I think the opposite in that when I'm approaching T-junction I fully expect to slow down or need to stop and if there is nothing coming from my right I am pleasantly surprised.

I guess it's just lack of driver training in this country. What do you expect when their driving test is no more than driving a vehicle round an area no bigger than a mini golf coursesad.png

• Like 2

I really dont know and understand why people have fears of driving a car in thailand. When driving 1self 1 is in control. When driving in a bus, taxi or minivan 1 gives control to somebody else.

Driving in thailand is more EXPECT THE UNEXPECTECED than in socalled civilized countries. Driving anywhere in the world requires concentration, awareness and anticipation.

I always liked driving in Thailand...yes indeed have escaped couple of times a serious accident due to .......well fill it in.

The word one is only three letters, three key strokes!

You saved six keystrokes in this post by making it more difficult to read.

Tired all ready, or just lazy?

Edited by willyumiii
  • Like 2

Roads are terrible. Drivers are generally uneducated and self absorbed. Another huge problem is the lack of a quality extensive rail shipping network in Thailand whose lack forces far too high a number of heavy vehicles onto poorly built and maintained Thai roads.

What the heck does ckusterfrack mean???

I think the opposite in that when I'm approaching T-junction I fully expect to slow down or need to stop and if there is nothing coming from my right I am pleasantly surprised.

it is just all the motorbikes that are on the wrong side coming from the left....

Been driving here 10 years find no problems, thinking back first couple of years use to get mad how stupid some drivers were, maybe I am used to it ? or drive the same as them now ? only do not drive a few cm from the car in-front that is just daft

Edited by ignis

What the heck does ckusterfrack mean???

Google = answer is something to do with Star Wars blink.png so no idea

it is just all the motorbikes that are on the wrong side coming from the left....

Been driving here 10 years find no problems, thinking back first couple of years use to get mad how stupid some drivers were, maybe I am used to it ? or drive the same as them now ? only do not drive a few cm from the car in-front that is just daft

Indeed, I wonder if I could still drive if I went back to Europe.

• Like 1

Don't underestimate the dangers on the roads in Thailand!

Total lack of enforcement of the rules and and a lot of drunk and or drugged drivers often driving trucks, minibuses and taxi's for 18 or more hours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Sort on the second column and you'll see there are only 3 countries with higher death rates in traffic.

• Like 2

I find in Phuket, its the tourists that are the danger... in low season i rarely see an accident, whereas in contrast, in high season i see an accident almost everyday and most are farangs.

As another coupe of posters said, if you know how the locals drive and the road rules they use, its an easier drive, BUT you still have to be VERY AWARE at ALL times and its much more dangerous here than back in Oz......

Cheers.

facepalm.gif

and

2, your side can be the other persons side as well going with you or against you

"As long as you drive offensively"!!!

I think what you guys mean to say is "defensively"....you need to be a "defensive driver"....not "offensive", the Thai drivers are offensive....please correct me if I'm wrong?

From Wikipedia: The standard Safe Practices for Motor Vehicle Operations, ANSI/ASSE Z15.1, defines defensive driving as "driving to save lives, time, and money, in spite of the conditions around you and the actions of others."[1] This definition is taken from the National Safety Council's Defensive Driving Course. It is a form of training for motor vehicle drivers that goes beyond mastery of the rules of the road and the basic mechanics of driving. Its aim is to reduce the risk of collision by anticipating dangerous situations, despite adverse conditions or the mistakes of others. This can be achieved through adherence to a variety of general rules, as well as the practice of specific driving techniques.

Personally I have visited and driven in numerous countries in this world, too many to bother to count, and in my humble opinion, Thailand has to be one of the most dangerous places there is to get behind the wheel of a vehicle. I agree with one posters comment regarding the fact that if YOU are the driver YOU (seemingly) are in control BUT you do have to be astutely aware of everything around you at all times. In addition to the many uneducated, inept and reckless drivers, there are many other dangers such as overloads not properly marked/flagged on trucks, lack of road markings or obstruction markers, and my personal favourite, people pushing their damn carts down the road at night with absolutely no lighting or reflective markings and usually in the opposite direction of traffic, to name a few!) As well, apart from the odd officer at a lighted intersection there is nobody out there enforcing driving regulations. I could go on and on with this list but will leave it at that......

That being said I have three motorbikes (not scooters) that I love to ride! But when I do, I assume that nobody sees me (which is usually the case anyways) and drive accordingly. And almost every time I am out I have to take action of some sort to avoid incident.

So to answer the OP, is it a good idea to drive in Thailand? Well, as the saying goes (in hindsight)........"I thought it was a good idea at the time."?! facepalm.gif

Edited by djhotsox
  • Like 2

DEAD WRONG. Thailand ranks number 3 in the world for Traffic related Deaths. Up there with completely un-developed, uneducated, war torn nations like Afghanistan and North African Countries.

I suggest you check the latest WHO report on road traffic deaths by country. Thailand ranks #9, after (in order) China, India, Nigeria, Brazil, Indonesia, the U.S., Pakistan, and Russia.

Even that rather high ranking is largely because of the sheer number of vehicles on the roads here. Look at road fatalities per 100,000 people per year (Wikipedia has a good table). Thailand comes in at 118.8, just a little above the global average of 93.3. Statistically, driving here is safer than just about anywhere in Latin America, Africa, and Asia. Add in the fact that most fatalities in Thailand involve motorcyclists, often with alcohol as a factor. Stay sober and stay off two wheels and your odds of surviving driving in Thailand are a whole lot better than many places. Provided of course you adapt to the Thai style of driving, but that's a whole subject in itself.

• Like 1

You wanna try the roads around Phicit. Absolutely amazing!

• Like 1

and

The only rule is don't hit anything..

No worse than anywhere else, but just different habits. Actually the truckies seem fairly good to me, unlike buses, tractor drivers, motorcyclists, and car drivers. So moral - get a large, old cane truck with lots of lights and crash bars around it, and sit on 60kph - everywhere. But like other posts caution is the word, as if you are within 100 metres of an accident its probably your fault. But to avoid all this stuff drive the longer distances around 4am - even in Bangkok - it becomes a pleasure then.

• Like 1

I personally have no problem with driving in Thailand. You have to be very aware of the road, other drivers and vehicles entering the road without looking. My biggest fear is the fools passing on corners. If I am in Bangkok, I park the car, since traffic sucks and taxis and the rail sytems are fine. I avoid driving at night on long trips. Thai trucks are so poorly illuminated (if the lights are working at all), that they tend to seem to appear out of nowhere. Defensive driving is the key. I trust myself much more than I could ever trust Thai van and bus drivers. Besides, I like the freedom a car gives you. You are not stuck to schedules, and my wife and I like to stop in varied places to explore the country.