Driving in Thailand - perception versus reality...

Histavia

Thailand's roads are dangerous and there is no way to sugar coat that. The laws are in place for Thailand to be a safe place to drive but they aren't enforced. I have a Thai license and I had to sit through a whole day of class and then take the written / online test afterwards so people with a license have been educated but refuse to follow what they were taught. I find myself driving dangerously sometimes just because if I don't, I risk accident myself! I was hit twice in my first year of driving and luckily no one was injured. Both the fault of the other driver.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really dont know and understand why people have fears of driving a car in thailand. When driving 1self 1 is in control. When driving in a bus, taxi or minivan 1 gives control to somebody else.

Driving in thailand is more EXPECT THE UNEXPECTECED than in socalled civilized countries. Driving anywhere in the world requires concentration, awareness and anticipation.

I always liked driving in Thailand...yes indeed have escaped couple of times a serious accident due to .......well fill it in.

Agree. And if you drive here long enough, the "unexpected" becomes the "expected." I too enjoy driving in Thailand. Much less hassle from the law when it comes to enforcement of petty rules and regs. But with the freedom does come a certain amount of irresponsibility from certain drivers. I do think that if you're older, somewhat meek, and expect everyone to follow the letter of the law, you will have a problem driving in Thailand. And riding a motorcycle is more dangerous here than in the west. People keep throwing around these stats regarding traffic fatalities, but in fact, something like 74% of traffic deaths in Thailand are motorcycles. I've never had a problem driving in my car in 10+ years in Thailand, and I drive every single day.

DEAD WRONG. Thailand ranks number 3 in the world for Traffic related Deaths. Up there with completely un-developed, uneducated, war torn nations like Afghanistan and North African Countries.

I suggest you check the latest WHO report on road traffic deaths by country. Thailand ranks #9, after (in order) China, India, Nigeria, Brazil, Indonesia, the U.S., Pakistan, and Russia.

Even that rather high ranking is largely because of the sheer number of vehicles on the roads here. Look at road fatalities per 100,000 people per year (Wikipedia has a good table). Thailand comes in at 118.8, just a little above the global average of 93.3. Statistically, driving here is safer than just about anywhere in Latin America, Africa, and Asia. Add in the fact that most fatalities in Thailand involve motorcyclists, often with alcohol as a factor. Stay sober and stay off two wheels and your odds of surviving driving in Thailand are a whole lot better than many places. Provided of course you adapt to the Thai style of driving, but that's a whole subject in itself.

In the past I had to do research that required visits to the Thai National Statistics Office, and I have had discussions with the Manager. I can tell you that most statistics are way under estimated if it is likely to be a negative for the Country. So for sure the WHO numbers for road deaths and accidents are likely to be way under reported. I would rank Thailand at number 3 of the Countries listed, not at number 9.

On the other hand some statistics such as GDP, export figures etc can be higher than actual due to political pressure.

Its not neccesarily other drivers either, its the dam_n roads themselves.

You can be hurtling down a carriageway at 70kph and for no apparent reason the road changes from flat blacktop or concrete to an area of pot holes broken road humps bumps etc right out of nowhere, absolutely lethal ! And if that happens after dark, you got no chance because most are not lit either.

The road east from Thaton is full of potholes that go on for miles and miles. Someone got sold a dud when they let that contract!

You wanna try the roads around Phicit. Absolutely amazing!

There are roads in the Phichit province that have not been repaired in the eight years I have been here.

You can be hurtling down a carriageway at 70kph and for no apparent reason the road changes from flat blacktop or concrete to an area of pot holes broken road humps bumps etc right out of nowhere, absolutely lethal ! And if that happens after dark, you got no chance because most are not lit either.

Plus road design and lane layout can offer challenges as well. A lane with an arrow pointing straight may all of a sudden become a right turn lane. Of course there is the examples of when the superhighways widen by a lane at traffic lights only to shrink after the light before an exit. As far as the drivers the fact hat most of them can not learn by experience says a lot. They will continue driving like crap no matter how many near calls or accidents!

The road east from Thaton is full of potholes that go on for miles and miles. Someone got sold a dud when they let that contract!

You wanna try the roads around Phicit. Absolutely amazing!

There are roads in the Phichit province that have not been repaired in the eight years I have been here.

I can remember taking a short cut try thru' Phichit about 5 years ago and being scared s*it-less at the trucks swerving to avoid to the pot-holes. Nevertheless, about 4 months ago I tried again, thinking that road must surely be okay by now, wishful thinking! It was horrendous and one journey I wish to forget quicklybiggrin.png

In all seriousness though, even the main BKK-Chiang Mai route through Phichit after Phitsanuloke and before Nakorn Sawan is badly pot-holed and a real dangerous road that I would advise many to miss.

I really dont know and understand why people have fears of driving a car in thailand. When driving 1self 1 is in control. When driving in a bus, taxi or minivan 1 gives control to somebody else.

Driving in thailand is more EXPECT THE UNEXPECTECED than in socalled civilized countries. Driving anywhere in the world requires concentration, awareness and anticipation.

I always liked driving in Thailand...yes indeed have escaped couple of times a serious accident due to .......well fill it in.

The word one is only three letters, three key strokes!

You saved six keystrokes in this post by making it more difficult to read.

Tired all ready, or just lazy?

And you saved a few, keystrokes, by missing a few commas. Do you really need to be so pedantic?

Haven't we done this subject before?

Yes we have, and will keep having along with others, there are new posters coming on all the time, and I am glad to see that, so we will keep on having more different opinions.

Yes, this is true. I know that you and I have disagreed on this topic, which is fine. Differing point-of-views make the world go round.

• Like 2

as many of the above posters say, drive defensively and expect the unexpected.

from my experience drivers in BKK are nowhere near as dangerous as those in abu dhabi. I'm not saying it's anywhere near safe, but you don't have the road bullying and constant threat locals running you off the road because you're in their way.

when I first got my bike I did the dumb thing and watched the video below. it gave me chills and made me wonder how I could have been so stupid as to have made riding a part of my life in BKK. I guess it was good in that it helped me to start by being very aware of how dangerous the roads can be, but my impression a few months later is that there are many places in the world where it's a lot more dangerous to drive..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGd6pGA2K_M[/media]

Edited by Melonade
  • Like 1

Driving in thailand is a ckusterfrack.

Roads are terrible. Drivers are generally uneducated and self absorbed. Another huge problem is the lack of a quality extensive rail shipping network in Thailand whose lack forces far too high a number of heavy vehicles onto poorly built and maintained Thai roads.

What the heck does ckusterfrack mean???

The word is clusterf@#k get it..... Like Obamacare is a clusterf@#k.

What is the deal with the bright lights here? Why do both thais and foreigners think it is ok to drive with their brights on here at night? Sometimes I get blinded at night, with these halogen lights on bright settings. Do they really need to be using them, and why do they think it is ok to blind every opposing driver? What is up with that? I assume their mothers never told them to be considerate to other drivers? LOL. Never learned that in driving school? LOL. Where is the driving etiquette here? Why is it so absent? I flash them with my brights till they get the point, but we are talking about 10-20% of the drivers. I have never seen anything like it, anywhere in the world.

To me one of the issues is the variety of vehicle types, and their required driving styles/speeds. Rickshaws, sidecar scooters, Tuk Tuk (3 wheel variety), regular scooters, cars, trucks, buses. If I want to nip across the city in a timely manner then I'm on a scooter, and look for gaps where I can. When in a car I adopt a very different style of driving, and I just don't make any sharp moves, instead letting the scooters make their decisions nipping in, out and around, while I relax at a responsible speed.

Also surprised nobody mentioned dogs in the streets. Either they're on xanax, or one runs out of a side street at full tilt being chased by another pack of dogs - just no way to predict that. Vehicles coming out of side roads looking where they want to go rather than what's coming is one of the bigger issues. I won't mention much about baht buses and their ownership of the road, as there'd be too many expletives to edit out.

I had a scooter accident about 1 month ago on a highway. There was a car waiting in a U-turn section waiting to join the flow, which I spotted about 10 seconds before reaching it. I slowed to a modest speed as I had nowhere else to move, then about 3 seconds before reaching it, the car pulled out. I slammed on hard as I could, and by the time I hit it was probably only doing 10km/h, but that's still a lot of negative G's to come to an insant halt as I slid across the tarmac. The helmet saved me from a lot of damage.

The amazing thing is that the driver stopped, and had insurance. When the police arrived the other party admitted full liability and offered hospital treatment. Next day we met at the police station to file the incident, and the couple in the car couldn't be nicer, with the wife helping me up the steps as I was obviously damaged. I didn't ask for compensation, but then I was never asked for 1 baht. The scooter repair was a botch job though and steering/geometry clearly wasn't right. They also kept it for 2 weeks and emptied the fuel tank. So in the end I took it to the Honda garage that I bought it from to get fixed properly and paid out of my own pocket (which amazingly was only 2000 baht). Drives sweet as new now thankfully, as otherwise I couldn't in all good conscience have sold it to anybody otherwise, even as a trade in. Happy enough to keep and use myself now though.

Since I have been living in Thailand I have noticed that when you are driving on a two way major road, you see a red flashing light ahead indicating that you are approaching a minor road or intersection. Surely, these flashing lights should be on the minor road indicating you are approaching a major road.

Watch ALL your rearview mirrors. When you go to get your DL, watch how many take 3 or 4 trys to pass the braking test. Thais like grey, white and black cars but do not like to turn on their lights when it begins to get dark or raining making them hard to see. U-turns off the fast lane right after a curve.

Edited by bunnydrops

As I stated on a previous post , I drove from Sadao to Mukdahan earlier this year and had no problems except being pulled for speeding twice.

The most dangerous thing I encountered were roadside markets which cause people to just stop without warning because they see something they want.

Thai drivers do however drive too fast, they tailgate like crazy and if there is an accident they love to rubberneck.

I have travelled extensively in the region and the other feature that Thais have , as do all Asian drivers is a complete lack of spacial awareness.

They are also very lacking in courtesy on the road.

My best friends girlfriend/wife died this morning, fetus she was carrying died last Monday. Why? Because moron decided to pass delivery truck ahead of him and didn't have sense to notice she was already in the road (2 lane road). She swerved across center and slammed into delivery truck, not that drivers fault. The <deleted> that caused this of course continued on his way. Anyone who thinks they drive anywhere near as well as in the west is not engaged with the reality here.

What makes driving here dangerous must have slipped my mind in the last post

Diminutive Thai ladies in large cars unable to see much over the dashboard.

Headlights that are never dipped

Mobile phones, I pads , DVD players

Screaming , climbing children without seat belts

Motorbikes in general

Thais in any prestigious car such as a Mercedes thinking they have more rights than other road users

Lack of signals

Condition of old vehicles

A LACK OF BOTH ABILITY AND EDUCATION............

• Like 1

I can tell you that most statistics are way under estimated if it is likely to be a negative for the Country.

And you imagine that somehow Thailand is unique that way? Apart from the U.S. there's not a country on that list whose figures I'd take at face value.

We could debate all day where Thailand ranks on the list but the fact is, just like with air safety, people will tend to judge road safety not by looking into the statistics but by subjective and anecdotal experience. So a fresh arrival from the West is likely to think the driving here is homicidal. Someone who has driven here for 20 or 30 years will probably think, well, it's not so bad. And someone who's been here that long AND has driven a lot in other countries in the region might well think, actually it's pretty good. The reality lies somewhere in between all those.

• Like 2

Driving in thailand is a ckusterfrack.

Roads are terrible. Drivers are generally uneducated and self absorbed. Another huge problem is the lack of a quality extensive rail shipping network in Thailand whose lack forces far too high a number of heavy vehicles onto poorly built and maintained Thai roads.

What the heck does ckusterfrack mean???

Google = answer is something to do with Star Wars blink.png so no idea

ckusterfrack = clusterf *ck

I have said it before and I am saying it again. I have driven a car or scooter in more than 60 countries world wide and while I am sure there are

worse drivers I have not seen them yet. My brother assures me they are worse in Vietnam but I have not been there yet so I will defer to him.

He tells me he has spent many an afternoon having a few beers at a bar at a light controlled intersection and enjoyed the show.

Driving is dangerous in Thailand, make no mistake. Signals may mean the person is turning, maybe not. No signal may mean the person is going

straight but he may turn or change lanes as well. Baht busses will stop in the lane to discharge or pick up passengers even when there is a lane

available for them to pull over to. They will pull out without signalling or into scooter traffic as you will pay the bigger penalty if you don't brake hard.

You will see scooters driving the wrong way on one way streets and against traffic on the wrong side of the street on two way streets.

Do not be quick as a pedestrian to walk on a green light as motor vehicle ofter continue for 4-5 seconds through the red light. Pedestrians ofter

look the wrong way when crossing the street as they are from the Americas or mainland Europe. Many don't look at all as they are drunk or assume

they have the right of way on the roads. Similarly when driving when the light turns green check to see if it is clear. Thais are the worst red light

runners in the world I am sure if their were red light cameras and Thais paid their tickets the amount would triple the amount the government looses

in the rice pledging scam. All this said I drive a scooter here. I try to drive with aggressive confidence but I am careful not to stop on the yellow

lights so as not to be hit from behind by cars or other scooters going through on the red light.

• Like 1

I can tell you that most statistics are way under estimated if it is likely to be a negative for the Country.

And you imagine that somehow Thailand is unique that way? Apart from the U.S. there's not a country on that list whose figures I'd take at face value.

We could debate all day where Thailand ranks on the list but the fact is, just like with air safety, people will tend to judge road safety not by looking into the statistics but by subjective and anecdotal experience. So a fresh arrival from the West is likely to think the driving here is homicidal. Someone who has driven here for 20 or 30 years will probably think, well, it's not so bad. And someone who's been here that long AND has driven a lot in other countries in the region might well think, actually it's pretty good. The reality lies somewhere in between all those.

Fair assessment. Add to that the fact that many of the foreigners in Thailand are older and set in their ways and you'll understand the predominantly negative sentiments on these boards.

after the first paragraph i scrolled to the end;

Been driving in Thailand Cars and Motorcycles for almost 30 years,

no more dangerous than anywhere else as long as u dive offensiely

and

1, turn signals on don't mean there turning

2, your side can be the other persons side as well going with you or against you

DEAD WRONG. Thailand ranks number 3 in the world for Traffic related Deaths. Up there with completely un-developed, uneducated, war torn nations like Afghanistan and North African Countries. Have lived here 4 years and have seen or come upon accidents where 13 people have died. Yes, I've seen 13 killed in person.

Don't kid yourself. It is extremely dangerous here.

And for 10% of people, it's extremely dangerous for them to drive no matter where they are. While for 99.99999999999999999% of drivers that I know, I only feel safe when .00000000000000000000001 % of them are driving.................You and I, but I'm not sure about you either with an average like that. 13 people in person what an unlucky number.

I don't and never have lived in Thailand. Only holiday there (for the past 24 years - sometimes twice in a year).

But i have driven all over Thailand from North to South and East to West, including around BKK, albeit with the aid of my TomTom.

Never (yet) had any problems. I suspect being a long time motorcyclist may help - having to have eyes front and back and being very aware that other vehicles on the road (and pedestrians/animals etc) can and possibly will do something stupid/unexpected!!

However - I never drive at night in Thailand.

Since traffic statistics are presented in accidents per 100,000 population, or per billion km driven, or per 100 million miles driven, I don't give much weight to my perception of driving here. I can drive all day, every day for 10 years and not make enough distance to be a meaningful data point.

That said, my vehicle stays parked about 28 days a month simply because I hate driving here.

After livuing here for many years you get to drive like the "locals" and you get a sixth snse of driving here. It is dog eat dog , but it works alot of the time . Alot of the time id doesnt Potholes is another subject .

Move over people i got my Thailand Driving licence today now i'm part of the club, i can throw away my international driving licence and forget about turning signals, speed limit, talking on the phone while driving at 10 km/ hour and so on it goes,, i have learn't the Thai Way.