Red Shirt protest on Tues

skills32

i ride past there everyday...i wonder if theyre going to stop me and ask for toll.

those red people are always putting up fake crowd posters to make it look like theres more people than there really are in the background.

Sparkles ... I doubt the Baht will move because of this.

I think he was referring to the same article I read. I am not 100% sure but it may have been on Bloomberg. Something like USD $25 million of Thai shares have been sold each day during the last few trading days so economists are getting very worried. The Amnesty bill is ridiculous.

• Like 1

If the senate turns the amnesty down and the ICJ awards Cambodia that useless piece of land they can have a big cry in. If they want to support their Government they should have done it yesterday.

A little complicated for them. Thaksin forgot to skype them. I hope they don't show of there brilliance by burning up another fire engine.wai2.gifwai2.gif

I think he was referring to the same article I read. I am not 100% sure but it may have been on Bloomberg. Something like USD $25 million of Thai shares have been sold each day during the last few trading days so economists are getting very worried. The Amnesty bill is ridiculous.

Yes I was but I take more notice of my very experienced Bangkok Bank manager who harbours the same opinion and in 5 years I've known him has been pretty right on all matters.

Just watching the Blue Sky channel now and Suthep is urging financial institutions to close their doors this Wednesday,Thursday and Friday.

I doubt it will happen but it sends a message to the world that all's not well in the land of people power protests. Its only a matter of time until the red shirts seek confrontation on the streets of Bangkok.

I seem to recall one of these things a few years ago where one group burned down the Thai stock exchange and it still went up.

Every few years this stuff happens with dire predictions. Tourism was hurt pretty badly once, for about a week, and after that things were normal.

Still, though, I have no plans of getting near the protests or rallies. At their core the Thais are tribal, and primitive. A farang has only to get close to one or more of them when they're in a mad frenzy to find out.

Edited by mesquite

Yes I was but I take more notice of my very experienced Bangkok Bank manager who harbours the same opinion and in 5 years I've known him has been pretty right on all matters.

Just watching the Blue Sky channel now and Suthep is urging financial institutions to close their doors this Wednesday,Thursday and Friday.

I doubt it will happen but it sends a message to the world that all's not well in the land of people power protests. Its only a matter of time until the red shirts seek confrontation on the streets of Bangkok.

I was talking to my broker in Bangkok today who is also very worried about the near-term future of the Baht and is very cautious on equities as the SET reached the lowest level since 12/2012 the other day.

Indeed it is not a good situation what is happening. I could be wrong but I suspect the Chinese tourists will get as nervous as the Japanese tourists did during the last period of political instability.

re

Anything I should be aware of?

nahhhh ! ... i had a look outside red shirt h q at 9 ish

and there was no gathering of the troops for tomorrows

event / protest !

lets hope it stays that way in town :)

dave2

pic .. a little rainbow in a moat fountain :)

post-42592-0-38160400-1384188073_thumb.j

I need to take my wife to the dentist in the morning, then pick her up at noon. It's near Suthep Rd.

Anything I should be aware of? Don't know how CM was like during the last unrest, but in Bangkok, many places you couldn't go.

I doubt that you'll need to change your plans, Suthep is a long way from the 700 Year Stadium. If you want to be super cautious you can check the news or the Chiang Mai News section of TV before you leave, and if you find yourself driving towards a disturbance you should turn around. However the odds are that tomorrow will be like any other day for most of us.

dave2 and heybruce, thanks for the info. I'm still relatively new in CM especially with the red affair.

I still remember how I got stuck near Raprasong when I went to visit my friend who lived behind the then Regent Hotel in Bangkok. That was terrible. I now consider myself lucky being a part of the CM community.

The natives are getting restless.................count your lucky stars you don't live in parts of Bangkok.

Travel warnings are out,investors are getting nervous and expect the baht to go south if this keeps going.

If the red shirted mob manage to devalue the baht, then for me it will be; Com On you ReeeeEdds.

• Like 2

I just did a quick loop around the 700 Year Stadium on my bike & can confirm that there are lots of red shirts gathered there and a steady stream of more still arriving. An estimate in the thousands sounds right to me. I live nearby and during big events like football matches and concerts I can usually hear the crowd noise from my house. I kind of hope it doesn't get to that point tonight.

About an hours ago [6PM] there were a bunch or red shirts along with a line of red busses on the service road between Big C and Makro on the Super. There was also a flatbed loaded with speakers and a very big mouth woman barking orders and blaring out instructions. She didn't need the mic and speakers. They must have been getting ready to do the run to the 700 year stadium.

G

A red shirt rally with no noise,.........................chok dee.biggrin.png

Stepping outside I can hear the speeches now. That and music don't bother me. The roar of a fire-up red shirt crowd just down the road though... that's another thing.

A red shirt rally with no noise,.........................chok dee.biggrin.png

Stepping outside I can hear the speeches now. That and music don't bother me. The roar of a fire-up red shirt crowd just down the road though... that's another thing.

Feel for you, could go on till the wee hours.

Why not call the BiB?

Sorry............ stupid question.

• Like 2

Saw a few pick ups laden with old ladies in red shirts driving past (on the 121) this morning - and two red SongTaews with red flags attached. Took my visiting relatives to the lakes yesterday (past the 700 stadium) and today to Night Safari, didn't notice any extra traffic or trouble at all. Also drive across town from the airport to Arcade bus station - nothing untoward traffic or otherwise. My local Thai restaurant I ate at tonight had two tables full of red shirts - they were quiet, happy, eating and generally behaving like any other customer.

I remember Mahidol Rd being blocked during the 2010 Red Shirt "protest", other than noise and slow traffic (they allowed one lane passage) mostly got smiling faces from the crowds - and the odd wave. CM is not Bangkok - they seem to be much more laid back up here; in their own territory rather than in enemy territory I guess.