Giving Blood

northernjohn

In Pattaya they have a desperate need for type O RH negative.

I myself had a hip replaced and they had to put the operation off for a week while they looked around for another unit of blood. They had one from Bangkok and needed another one. My operation was not serious and the week delay was no problem.

What I am suggesting is that people with friends or relatives coming to visit ask them if they would mind giving a unit. If they say no that is OK. I believe they can store it for up to a year so it will never go to waste.

My boy comes over every year to visit and he said no problem. Not sure where here in Chiang Mai but I believe it is at two Red Cross locations. Not entirely sure yet as I am still recovering. but when I feel better I will find out.

Where ever you are you will probably have to ask where you can give but it might just save some one's life.

Here are the Qualifications for Blood donations

Blood Donation
Donors' Qualifications:
1. 17-60 years of age.
2. Excellent health, with the weight over 45 kg.
3. No history of hepatitis or jaundice.
4. No history of malarial fever for the past
3 years and no sexually transmitted diseases,infectious diseases, persistent cough, coughing up blood, hemophilia, blood-related diseases,asthma, allergy, epilepsy, long-term skin diseases, kidney diseases, heart problems, diabetes, thyroid.
5. No considerable weight loss.
6. No behaviors of sexual promiscuity. No record of drug use.
7. Female donors are not menstruating or pregnant.
Before blood donation:
  • Get enough sleep-at least 6 hours.
  • Stay healthy--free from colds and medications.
  • Prior to the donation, eat non-fat digestible food.
  • No alcoholic beverages 24 hours before the donation.
  • To enhance the blood-purifying capacity of the lungs, quit smoking 1 hour before and after the donation.
Please do not give blood if:
  • You or your spouse has been involved in sexual intercourse with a male or femaleprostitute without using condoms during the past 3 months.
  • You or your spouse have been intravenous drug users.
  • You have tested positive for HIV.