Long Overstay... What's the deal?

Hi,

I've a mate who's on a very long overstay at the moment and has the offer of a job outside Thailand and wants to leave to take up the offer.

Is 20,000k payed at Swampy still the way to go? I've heard some rumours that it might not work like that anymore.

Any info etc gratefully received.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes that is still the best option and normally it works fine. Best if done during a workday so a check can easily be made if required but in most cases it is still routine processing taking a few extra minutes as long a fine payment is available.

Make sure you do not travel out on a new passport. If you do make sure you have all copies of the old passport. Sometimes they can't check all data from your old passport so you may not be able to fly out immediately.

Other than that no problems at all.

I do believe that around March time this year they changed the law to the point that anybody on an overstay of more than 30 days has to spend 1 night in prison, 20,000 Baht fine, handed over to his embassy and deported.

Nonsense there has been no such change.

The Thai authorities have stated they will always enforce detention of overstays for more than 42 days.

Yesterday.....Nong Khai Friendship Bridge....I drove an expat on a 5 + year overstay....paid the fine.........got stamped through.......entered Laos.....returned back to Thailand 1 hour later......drove him back to his guest house....

Not saying it is this easy in every situation but have had three overstays this year paying a fine of 20,000฿ and returning the same day.

Did also see one French tourist arguing that his one day overstay was not his fault as his bus broke down...yada, yada, yada,....on and on he went in broken English.....he was still in the office when I left the bridge 1.5 hours later....

14 posts of old and currently false information and replies removed. There is no 42 days and you go to jail rule in effect and has not been for several years (and when it was enforced it only lasted about two months). Do not continue such postings here.

• Like 1

Yesterday.....Nong Khai Friendship Bridge....I drove an expat on a 5 + year overstay....paid the fine.........got stamped through.......entered Laos.....returned back to Thailand 1 hour later......drove him back to his guest house....

Not saying it is this easy in every situation but have had three overstays this year paying a fine of 20,000฿ and returning the same day.

Did also see one French tourist arguing that his one day overstay was not his fault as his bus broke down...yada, yada, yada,....on and on he went in broken English.....he was still in the office when I left the bridge 1.5 hours later....

That's funny....maybe 1.5 hours of that guy's time are worth less than 500 baht. I have had two 1-day overstays (one, I miscalculated due to a month with more days and one time it was flooded and I thought it better to wait for the water to recede). It wasn't a big deal at the border--just like an admin fee. I just wai'ed them, said I was sorry...flooding, etc. and they didn't mind at all....mostly just wanted to know if I could eat Somtam and where I learned Thai!

Then they passed me a slip, I signed and paid 500 baht.

We all pick our battles, I guess.

• Like 1

Ohh yet a again a FRIEND / MATE who cannot post for himself, just unbelievable.......................................

And understandably so. The "hang`em high" brigade in here is the reason for that.

If anyone have an overstay problem, they post it in here not for the desire to discuss it with you, but to find a solution to their problem.

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Like 1

My idea, if you have this problem DON'T go out by airplane, there they are more serious and if you have bad-luck, I mean officer doesn't like you, you will lose your flight. Better way if you go to Nongkhai (Thai-Lao Friendship bridge) and you have time to wait if it takes long, BUT You have to smile a lot, be friendly and polite. If you speak Thai speak and SMILE.

Anyway the 20 000 B fine is valid but I have never heard about some-one came back same day, but this doesn't mean anything.

Good Luck Buddy.

If you are finished tour case SHARE with us your experiences. wai.gif

My idea, if you have this problem DON'T go out by airplane, there they are more serious and if you have bad-luck, I mean officer doesn't like you, you will lose your flight. Better way if you go to Nongkhai (Thai-Lao Friendship bridge) and you have time to wait if it takes long, BUT You have to smile a lot, be friendly and polite. If you speak Thai speak and SMILE.

Anyway the 20 000 B fine is valid but I have never heard about some-one came back same day, but this doesn't mean anything.

Good Luck Buddy.

If you are finished tour case SHARE with us your experiences. Posted Image

There are many reports of leaving from airport without a problem.

Leaving via border has the additional risk of being stopped at check point on the way to the border.

Good Luck Buddy.

If you are finished tour case SHARE with us your experiences. wai.gif

There are many reports of leaving from airport without a problem.

Leaving via border has the additional risk of being stopped at check point on the way to the border.

Yes Man, you are right, this is an extra risk.

Ohh yet a again a FRIEND / MATE who cannot post for himself, just unbelievable.......................................

Maybe the friend isn't a member of thai visa.

haha.... A Friend Of Mine.. told me that he left Samui by air after a 400+ day overstay.... he was very polite and contrite, immigration were very polite and friendly, he paid his 20k bht fine... it all took an extra 5 minutes for the paper work..he was told by one female Imm. official that he was a "naughty man..and that the os would not affect future visa s and returns to Thailand. It is their job of work and a routine operation not a moral issue for them....this was in September This Year..

Bon Voyage

• Like 1

The 20k Baht rule is true. I have in my mind this is too easy pay 20k and come back. The goverment should change the rules and ban people for an overstay of xx days.

From what are this people living if they have no money to make a proper Visa?

Edited by skiller

Very easy, Call Immigration and ask them. You will all surprise yourselves.

Yes Man, very easy. You must to be very young and don't know to much about REAL life. If you call them they have to threat you cause their also have boss, and they can't make advertising for overstay. This easy.

Just compute with me. I f you go to Laos or Malaysia, your flight ticket, accommodation, VISA fee all together around 20 000 B, and you have to go if you have not work permit, or didn't make an education visa.

So if you stay over one year you safe a lot money (but you take high RISK also). This reason why they don't tell you by phone: "this not a big deal Buddy, just do it".

I recommend highly to every one the education visa (E visa). You can use it 5 years, and you have to go out only one time when this is started. Every 90 days have to report to IMM. OFF. but the language school organizes this, so you don't have to go exactly. When the first year is finished, the school organizes the extension, you don't have to go at all anywhere. The cost is per year around 25 000 - 30 000 B, depends on school. In Bkk is cheaper, in PKT is more expensive.

AND sometimes you do visit the Thai lessons and learn Thai this is good for you, you won't look like a fried fish if Thais talk to you.

E visa = No Problem.

(don't think I have a language school, and make advertising:)

• Like 1

Yes that is still the best option and normally it works fine. Best if done during a workday so a check can easily be made if required but in most cases it is still routine processing taking a few extra minutes as long a fine payment is available.

Sometimes you read about people who have been denied the right to exit Thailand because of some pending court case such as that British guy who was involved with litigation with his landlord in Bangkok.

So if it only takes a few minutes at the airport for them to process a long overstay, how do they check that no similar limitations have been placed on somebody?

Immigration checks for wants, warrants and for those that are on the no departure list.

Yes, that's right. Practically, when they scan your passport the computer checks these which ubonjoe mentioned, and the computer is fast ...