Thai senate rejects disputed amnesty bill

webfact

OOOPSS, do the senators need to refund the "boss" or weren't they on his payroll??

No refund required - they were following latest orders.

The danger was a truly impartial house would have amended the bill, possibly back to its original, and returned it to the house for further deliberation. PTP didn't want that.

This way, all PTP have to do is wait 180 days and then try and ram it through. The house can sign it off and submit for Royal approval without having to go back to the senate, or change anything in the bill. Thaksin will hope the demos will be over quickly and in another 6 months, people may be less disposed to another round of protests, he's got more time to buy the reds back on board, and prepare "counter protests" should people react again.

This time round, many diverse people and organizations joined forces to protest - he's got another 6 months now to bully, bribe, intimidate and coerce as many of those as he can into not opposing the next attempt.

He dare not come back until all those outstanding charges have been whitewashed.

• Like 1

The PTP government has withdrawn its plans to pursue the bill. The senate has rejected it. The government has accepted the ICJ ruling on the temple. Any further civil disobedience from the yellows or ex Dems can be seen as pure opportunistic rabble-rousing.

We only have Yingluk and Thaksin's word that the bill will not become law in 180 days, and that is worth SFA.

Are people not allowed to express anger at the hubris of a government prepared to foist an an amnesty on the country that was so obviously self-serving? Can't you see that this is corruption, especially when the WHOLE party is prepared to follow the orders of a fugitive convicted criminal?

And can't you see that the issues of Thaksin's corruption and the rice scheme were around long before the events of the past week unfolded, but when yellow-associated groups staged demonstrations about those issues, very few people turned up and they invariably had to be called of after a day or so?

With the government's climb down over amnesty, and the ICJ ruling on the temple out of the way, those issues are the only ones remaining again but the dems/yellows want to ride the wave of dissatisfaction caused by the amnesty bill screw-up to achieve the same ends they were aiming to achieve when only a matter of a few hundred or a few thousand people turned up to their earlier events.

Hence the opportunistic rabble rousing I mentioned earlier.

Nothing to worry about then, the people will disperse and the rally peter out to a natural end. Or maybe, the people are now warned by the underhand way the government rewrote the amnesty bill and rammed it through parliament at 3 in the morning, not caring that thousands of corruption cases would also be affected, in fact even belittling that fact in one of the PM's speeches. The trust of the people is something this government does not have, and who are you to say the people should or should not protest against a government that has continually lied to them while raping the country for the benefit of its own vote buying schemes and inflated bank accounts?

The PTP government has withdrawn its plans to pursue the bill. The senate has rejected it. The government has accepted the ICJ ruling on the temple. Any further civil disobedience from the yellows or ex Dems can be seen as pure opportunistic rabble-rousing.

We only have Yingluk and Thaksin's word that the bill will not become law in 180 days, and that is worth SFA.

Are people not allowed to express anger at the hubris of a government prepared to foist an an amnesty on the country that was so obviously self-serving? Can't you see that this is corruption, especially when the WHOLE party is prepared to follow the orders of a fugitive convicted criminal?

And can't you see that the issues of Thaksin's corruption and the rice scheme were around long before the events of the past week unfolded, but when yellow-associated groups staged demonstrations about those issues, very few people turned up and they invariably had to be called of after a day or so?

With the government's climb down over amnesty, and the ICJ ruling on the temple out of the way, those issues are the only ones remaining again but the dems/yellows want to ride the wave of dissatisfaction caused by the amnesty bill screw-up to achieve the same ends they were aiming to achieve when only a matter of a few hundred or a few thousand people turned up to their earlier events.

The government hasn't completely climbed down over amnesty. The amnesty bill is still alive, and the government could vote on and pass it in 180 days.

• Like 1

Nothing to worry about then, the people will disperse and the rally peter out to a natural end. Or maybe, the people are now warned by the underhand way the government rewrote the amnesty bill and rammed it through parliament at 3 in the morning, not caring that thousands of corruption cases would also be affected, in fact even belittling that fact in one of the PM's speeches. The trust of the people is something this government does not have, and who are you to say the people should or should not protest against a government that has continually lied to them while raping the country for the benefit of its own vote buying schemes and inflated bank accounts?

.and who are you to say the people should or should not protest against a government that has continually lied to them while raping the country for the benefit of its own vote buying schemes and inflated bank accounts?

Who am I? I'm an anonymous poster with an opinion that may or may not be reasonable - just like you. Am I allowed to exist on Thai Visa or are some posters more worthy of voting...err...I mean posting, than others?

Unlike you and others like you on here though, I don't feel it necessary to bore everyone else who reads these threads to tears by laboring the same emotive hyperbole day after day.

• Like 1

Well, the future of the bill is uncertain now BUT what is certain is that I believe Chalerm needs one of these very very soon!

2336388352_86d55bd5df_z.jpg

I believe it is 48 days to go, to The Beheading.

What will Chalerm's last meal be?

Well, the future of the bill is uncertain now BUT what is certain is that I believe Chalerm needs one of these very very soon!

Pork chops with a nice Chardonnay to wash them down.

Pork chops with a nice Chardonnay to wash them down.

You will mean a box of nice Chardonnay with some pork chops between.