travel to Siem Reap

careless

Easiest is to fly. No visa hassles that way. If you do the border crossing, get an e-visa first. Reduces the hassles at the border. Though there are still many others they will try on you at the border.

I read about a bus service that was going to go all the way to SR from BKK. Did that ever get off the ground? I have read conflicting reports.

Evisa will save u all the hassles and not take up the full page,

Poi pet is not as bad as it used to be BUT depending on time of day can be long lines at immigration.

flying is best an if u book in advance very cheap as well

If u want overland, take the early Train to Aran 58 baht 5 1/2 hours, Tuk tuk to border 50 baht 15 minutes,

walk across, stamp out, stamp in avoid the touts trying to "help" you,

walk a bit and find a shared taxi to SR, $12-15/seat or 40-50 for the whole car 2 hours

Bus still running to SR form Morchit station

• Like 2

My son and I traveled to Siem Reap from Bangkok on 4 November. Here is how we did it. First l got an e-visa on line. Son has Thai passport so he didn't need a visa. At 5 am we drove my car from Bangkok to the Aran/Poipet border and parked in the secure parking lot near the Thai Immigration for B100 per day. We arrived there around 08;30 and got through Thai and Camboidian Imm in about 30 min, so if possible get there early. Many taxi's available and we got one for B800 arriving at the hotel around 12:00. Departed Siem Reap by taxi on 7 Nov. around 09:00 for $25.00. Hotel arranged the taxi. Not so lucky at Immigration as we arrived around 11:30 and it took about 2 hours to get stamped back in Thailand. Picked up the car at the secure lot, paid B400 and drove back to Bangkok. The best way I would say would be to fly but it's an interesting trip by road.

Edited by Spaniel

My son and I traveled to Siem Reap from Bangkok on 4 November. Here is how we did it. First l got an e-visa on line. Son has Thai passport so he didn't need a visa. At 5 am we drove my car from Bangkok to the Aran/Poipet border and parked in the secure parking lot near the Thai Immigration for B100 per day. We arrived there around 08;30 and got through Thai and Camboidian Imm in about 30 min, so if possible get there early. Many taxi's available and we got one for B800 arriving at the hotel around 12:00. Departed Siem Reap by taxi on 7 Nov. around 09:00 for $25.00. Hotel arranged the taxi. Not so lucky at Immigration as we arrived around 11:30 and it took about 2 hours to get stamped back in Thailand. Picked up the car at the secure lot, paid B400 and drove back to Bangkok. The best way I would say would be to fly but it's an interesting trip by road.

Interested in this, as I would like (if possible) to take my vehicle into Cambodia and have a tour around. Does anybody have any info as to whether this is feasible? Do you have to get your plates 'translated', as you do when crossing into Malaysia and how do you arrange car insurance and road tax?

Just booked for next month with Cambodia Angkor Air, from Bangkok to Siem Reap, never tried either of these before so we'll see how it goes. Have been to Phnom Penh with Air Asia before & that was easy enough and hassle free.

Booked online & the e-ticket receipt says we have a baggage allowance of 20kgs, now that's impressive, let's hope the rest of the experience is as good clap2.gif

I'll give a report when we get back coffee1.gif

• 2 weeks later...
I keep reading conflicting opinions on the best way to travel from Bangkok to Siem Reap.My main concern is I don't want to have any hassle at the border. What do you people think?thanks

I went with air asia from don mueang to siem reap a couple of months ago. Depends on what economic status you have. If i was superrich and had more money than i can spend i would take a private jet. :) my economic status makes it possible to do visa run-holidays by airplane every 60 days if i dont want to extend 30 days and i also bring my girlfriend with me. We always take the cheapest direct flight that has good departure times. I dont like waking up in the middle of the night or skip sleep to catch a flight.

Edited by BKKBobby

• 2 months later...

Was told this week at Thai immigration Poipet that those with Thai passports travelling out and back through Poipet need only a passport, but do not need to fill out the TM6 Thailand arrival and departure cards.

Can anyone confirm this please.

Not sure but I think the TM6 may be for foreigners only (hence the visa number field) and Thai nationals do not fill it out. But perhaps others can confirm, or you might ask in the general visa forum (as I don't think this has anything to do with Poipet or Cambodia per se)

I have traveled 3 times with my Thai wife and she has always had to fill a TM6 at outwards. The inward sections is stapled to passport and removed when returning to Thailand. We travelled to Singapore and Australia.

Edited by ripstanley

I have traveled 3 times with my Thai wife and she has always had to fill a TM6 at outwards. The inward sections is stapled to passport and removed when returning to Thailand. We travelled to Singapore and Australia.

Indeed.

The information given to Prakhonchai Nick, by an immigration officer, later turned out to be incorrect.

There was some logic to the misinformation as many countries do not require their own citizens to complete arrival/departure cards. A simple stamp out/stamp in should suffice.

Was told this week at Thai immigration Poipet that those with Thai passports travelling out and back through Poipet need only a passport, but do not need to fill out the TM6 Thailand arrival and departure cards.

Can anyone confirm this please.

Not sure but I think the TM6 may be for foreigners only (hence the visa number field) and Thai nationals do not fill it out. But perhaps others can confirm, or you might ask in the general visa forum (as I don't think this has anything to do with Poipet or Cambodia per se)

I checked directly with the Chong Chomg Imigrration officers and was told that this was totally false and all nationals leaving and entering with a passport including Thais will use the TM 6 card.

Thanks to all for your replies.

The immigration officer never fully grasped the question and responded on the basis of a Thai accompanying a farang on a border run requiring just a quick in and out of the border town. In my case I was accompanying 20+ students on a 4 day holiday to Siem Reap

Fortunately, being sceptical of the immigration response, I prepared TM6's for all the students in advance.

everyone gets TM 6 cards

my thai daughter always has them in her passport when we are put of the country, when we leave she gets new one, on return they take the arrival section

Same with Cambodians, they get the arrival /departure card when they leave, they take the dep part, when she returns they take the arrival, once she lost it and it cost us $2.

• 2 months later...

It will be hot, but it's not that bad. It is the rainy season, so do expect some storms. Most are over fairly quickly, but there is a possibility of a big one with major flooding. Remote, but a possibility.

It will be hot, but it's not that bad. It is the rainy season, so do expect some storms. Most are over fairly quickly, but there is a possibility of a big one with major flooding. Remote, but a possibility.

Floods are unlikely in July - October has been the worst time in recent years.

Floods are unlikely in July - October has been the worst time in recent years.

Agreed, but they are also unlikely here in Pattaya in March...but we had a massive one then! 55555555

Just trying to tell the OP that it's possible...but not probable. This dang climate change thingy is really messing our normal weather patterns up!

wai2.gifwai2.gif

Even without any flooding, normal rains will render travel on rural dirt roads slower/more difficult.

Whether that matters any depends on where in the province you expect to go.