webfact

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you made a donation yet?

No, all my charity is going to Syrian refugees, they are off the front pages at the moment and it's not like their needs suddenly evaporated when the typhoon struck.

That's a great cause, but there's no need to sabotage the efforts for this one. As Scott says, there's plenty of reputable charities around. Where do you think all the aid is coming from?

Usually, gov'ts are the only ones with the variety of equipment needed to deliver aid quickly and effectively. Once roads and infrastructure are in place the task of rebuilding, including rebuilding shattered lives and families, can take place. NGO's usually play a big part in this.

Did you know in 2004 the DEC were buying rice on the international market, flying it to Bangkok on chartered planes, and renting trucks to ship it down to Phuket and Khao Lak?

When all you had to do was go to the local market.....

Witless they are, absolutely witless, normally run by public schoolboys and girls called Tarquin and Clarissa who wouldn't know a disaster if it kicked them up the arse, who've done a degree in "Development Studies" or something.

In the end I just gave people the details of NGOs as you say, they normally have an idea of what is required on the ground, and more importantly where to get it.

Mind you it's a double-edged sword, if you give it to the Phils government most of it will go missing anyway.

it's a shame that the DEC can get all this cash to squander simply for a lack of communication and local knowledge.

If there are any Phils residents on here that know of a trustworthy NGO that needs some money, by all means post and I'll find a few quid.

• Like 1

Did you know in 2004 the DEC were buying rice on the international market, flying it to Bangkok on chartered planes, and renting trucks to ship it down to Phuket and Khao Lak?

Witless they are, absolutely witless, normally run by public schoolboys and girls called Tarquin and Clarissa who wouldn't know a disaster if it kicked them up the arse, who've done a degree in "Development Studies" or something.

In the end I just gave people the details of NGOs as you say, they normally have an idea of what is required on the ground, and more importantly where to get it.

Mind you it's a double-edged sword, if you give it to the Phils government most of it will go missing anyway.

it's a shame that the DEC can get all this cash to squander simply for a lack of communication and local knowledge.

If there are any Phils residents on here that know of a trustworthy NGO that needs some money, by all means post and I'll find a few quid.

These guys are a good team doing what is needed in the Northern Palawan which was in the direct path of the typhoon but have missed out on the spotlight.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taophilippines-Expeditions/74026363044

These guys are a good team doing what is needed in the Northern Palawan which was in the direct path of the typhoon but have missed out on the spotlight.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taophilippines-Expeditions/74026363044

Thanks Folium, and looks like they do some useful work without the Typhoon, too.

I've made a donation there. There is an interesting article (link below) which shows how aid is not only pointless but counter-productive if it isn't done properly.

There is one simple way that people who want to help can help. Donate money—not teddy bears, not old shoes, not breast milk. Give money to organizations that have worked in the affected areas before the storm—they will be more likely to know and be able to navigate the local context and may be able to respond faster, as it won’t take them time to set up. Give money to agencies that are able to articulate what the actual needs are and transparently tell you how they are responding. Give money to agencies that are procuring items locally to help rebuild the economy. Give money to agencies that are working with the government to ensure that their response is aligned with the national response.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2013/11/how_to_help_typhoon_haiyan_survivors_in_the_philippines_the_only_donation.html

I've made a donation there. There is an interesting article (link below) which shows how aid is not only pointless but counter-productive if it isn't done properly.

There is one simple way that people who want to help can help. Donate money—not teddy bears, not old shoes, not breast milk. Give money to organizations that have worked in the affected areas before the storm—they will be more likely to know and be able to navigate the local context and may be able to respond faster, as it won’t take them time to set up. Give money to agencies that are able to articulate what the actual needs are and transparently tell you how they are responding. Give money to agencies that are procuring items locally to help rebuild the economy. Give money to agencies that are working with the government to ensure that their response is aligned with the national response.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2013/11/how_to_help_typhoon_haiyan_survivors_in_the_philippines_the_only_donation.html

Well there you go - I'm doing it right. I never once figured sending clothes would be of any use. I've never even considered it.

"Americans are extremely charitable, and their generosity is recognized by people overseas time and time again. These impulses should be channeled to places that can do the most with the generosity. If you insist on giving something other than money, don’t assume you know what the needs are from afar. Wait for an organization that is in the Philippines to solicit specific items. After all, isn’t that what you would want if it happened in your community?"

My aid is distributed by family living IN the disaster zone. The food is purchased there. We know exactly what their needs are. Their primary needs are basic and pressing - FOOD. Most of the food distributed by relief workers at present is rice and sardines. We go a step further and provide corned beef and noodles along with the rice and sardines.

I still need a few more donations before I can send my second lot of aid. I'm sending it in $500 (20,000 peso) lots. Please PM me if you can help.

Edited by tropo

If, like me, you wish to explore alternatives to the Big 3, there's quite a good list here:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/09/world/iyw-how-to-help-typhoon-haiyan/index.html

And another one here:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=1659

No organization is perfect and slamming NGOs sadly just gives folks an excuse to do nothing and donate squat. Even 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

• Like 1

The answers were in the history books but forgotten.

There were 2 devastating cyclonic storm surge events recorded in the history books, but too far back for any living person to remember.

October 1897:

http://www.rappler.com/move-ph/issues/disasters/typhoon-yolanda/44062-leyte-1897-typhoon

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/44204307?searchTerm=typhoon+phillipines&searchLimits

November 1912:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/21/world/asia/philippines-typhoon-history/index.html?iid=article_sidebar

By all accounts the 1897 typhoon was equally strong and as devastating as Yolanda - perhaps even more so.

You won't hear the global warning advocates discussing this because they like to use recent events to prove their theory.

What I don't understand is that there was/ is a constant litany on the news about a shortage of water. Considering that the same news items showed that it was raining at the time why did no one think to collect rain water? It only takes a sheet of plastic and a container of some sort. Are people so dependent on being told what to do that they can't do the simplest thing to help themselves anymore?

it was also being said that food was in short supply or non existent. Considering I never saw a malnourished person on the tv news and people can live for weeks without food, should not the priority have been to evacuate women with children to unaffected areas, rather than families. The men should have been helping to clean up the debris and look for trapped people, rather than evacuating.

Just thinking.

Let me assure that these people are resourceful. They'll survive on next to nothing where most of us would perish and they are collecting water the best they can. It didn't rain much last week.

As for your comment that these people don't appear malnourished and suggesting that they could go for weeks without food - shame on you. As it happened, many had to go for a week without eating and with very limited water.

There's a lot of different ideas about how relief efforts should proceed, but I'm really glad you're not in charge.

I've put in an effort to feed these poor people and I'm still passing the hat around. It's fortunate that the generous people who have helped out so far didn't expect everyone to go without food for weeks. I managed to feed about 140 people yesterday - I really hope I'll be able to feed some more real soon, but getting money for aid is proving to be very difficult because most people just don't care.

Just saying.

You seem to have looked for a reason to take offense where non exists.

The news item I saw was saying that people had no water to drink WHILE IT WAS RAINING!

It is a FACT that people can live for weeks without food, and that there is a shortage in the devestated areas. I was just suggesting that only women with children be evacuated rather than men, which could be used in the rescue efforts. I was not suggesting that they be left to starve as you imply.

What I don't understand is that there was/ is a constant litany on the news about a shortage of water. Considering that the same news items showed that it was raining at the time why did no one think to collect rain water? It only takes a sheet of plastic and a container of some sort. Are people so dependent on being told what to do that they can't do the simplest thing to help themselves anymore?

it was also being said that food was in short supply or non existent. Considering I never saw a malnourished person on the tv news and people can live for weeks without food, should not the priority have been to evacuate women with children to unaffected areas, rather than families. The men should have been helping to clean up the debris and look for trapped people, rather than evacuating.

Just thinking.

Let me assure that these people are resourceful. They'll survive on next to nothing where most of us would perish and they are collecting water the best they can. It didn't rain much last week.

As for your comment that these people don't appear malnourished and suggesting that they could go for weeks without food - shame on you. As it happened, many had to go for a week without eating and with very limited water.

There's a lot of different ideas about how relief efforts should proceed, but I'm really glad you're not in charge.

I've put in an effort to feed these poor people and I'm still passing the hat around. It's fortunate that the generous people who have helped out so far didn't expect everyone to go without food for weeks. I managed to feed about 140 people yesterday - I really hope I'll be able to feed some more real soon, but getting money for aid is proving to be very difficult because most people just don't care.

Just saying.

The news item I saw was saying that people had no water to drink WHILE IT WAS RAINING!

It is a FACT that people can live for weeks without food, and that there is a shortage in the devestated areas. I was just suggesting that only women with children be evacuated rather than men, which could be used in the rescue efforts. I was not suggesting that they be left to starve as you imply.

I'm not looking for reasons to take offense.

I think you'll find that the rescuers did the best they could under the circumstances. It was not possible to evacuate hundreds of thousands of people, and separating traumatized children from their parents is not the answer. The parents would not let their children go anyway - that just wouldn't happen. How would they find each other later on?

The number one priority was getting food, water and medicine in, not using valuable resources to take people out - and where would they take them?

Yes, people can survive (stay alive) without food for weeks, but they suffer from the very first day.

Just thinking.

Just saying.

I'm not looking for reasons to take offense.

I think you'll find that the rescuers did the best they could under the circumstances. It was not possible to evacuate hundreds of thousands of people, and separating traumatized children from their parents is not the answer. The parents would not let their children go anyway - that just wouldn't happen. How would they find each other later on?

The number one priority was getting food, water and medicine in, not using valuable resources to take people out - and where would they take them?

Yes, people can survive (stay alive) without food for weeks, but they suffer from the very first day.

<separating traumatized children from their parents is not the answer>

I never suggested that. I clearly said that women with children should be the priority. You can criticize me, but please don't make stuff up that I never said.

<not using valuable resources to take people out - and where would they take them?>

Excuse me, but have you not watched the tv news? The planes that bring in supplies are taking people out in large numbers.

<How would they find each other later on?>

Seriously? Telephone would be one way, and mail would be another. The Phillipines does have a telephone service and a post office.

Excuse me, but have you not watched the tv news?

LOL. Just about every report on every news site including the Philippine channels - I've posted most of the news links in this thread. My wife's family are IN the disaster zone, so I have a pretty good idea of what is happening on the ground.

Most of the people you think are being evacuated are leaving on their own accord as they have family elsewhere.

You'd find that most of the people will stay with what is left of their destroyed homes and slowly rebuild their lives. They are in the process of creating tent cities in the disaster zone.

You may find this hard to believe, but most of the debris you see in Tacloban will be use to build another shack.

Edited by tropo

If, like me, you wish to explore alternatives to the Big 3, there's quite a good list here:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/09/world/iyw-how-to-help-typhoon-haiyan/index.html

And another one here:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=1659

No organization is perfect and slamming NGOs sadly just gives folks an excuse to do nothing and donate squat. Even 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Then give your money to the DEC and don't bother about what gets done with it. No-one's twisting your arm.

Excuse me, but have you not watched the tv news?

LOL. Just about every report on every news site including the Philippine channels - I've posted most of the news links in this thread. My wife's family are IN the disaster zone, so I have a pretty good idea of what is happening on the ground.

Most of the people you think are being evacuated are leaving on their own accord as they have family elsewhere.

You'd find that most of the people will stay with what is left of their destroyed homes and slowly rebuild their lives. They are in the process of creating tent cities in the disaster zone.

You may find this hard to believe, but most of the debris you see in Tacloban will be use to build another shack.

If I was there, I'd be using the debris to build another house for sure.

In the west, though, the officials wouldn't even let me near the destruction and would bulldoze everything.

They come out of the woodwork at times like this. But having said that, how many of those Thais wandering around with scrumpled up "official" documents do you ever believe?

There's always the odd bad people around, but do you have to go on and on about it? We get it already.

It's pretty hard collecting donations as it is (do you think it is easy) - there's no need to make it more difficult by giving people endless excuses not to donate.

I've managed to collect $1500 so far this week and every dollar is buying food. No deductions for anything.

After trying my hand at this and realizing how difficult this is, I take my hat off to the organised charities - it's a thankless task. clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

They come out of the woodwork at times like this. But having said that, how many of those Thais wandering around with scrumpled up "official" documents do you ever believe?

There's always the odd bad people around, but do you have to go on and on about it? We get it already.

Actually I was talking about something else but thanks for the irrelevant comment, my fault for straying off topic.

I've posted a perfectly good list of alternatives already doing stuff on the ground, so I have no idea what you are about.