Eight injured in Udon Thani train derailing

webfact

Eight injured in Udon Thani train derailing
By English News

13842246008978.jpg

UDON THANI, Nov 12 -- Eight people were injured as five carriages of a Bangkok-Nongkhai train derailed in Udon Thani this morning.

The express train from Bangkok destined for the northeastern province of Nong Khai derailed near Nong Dae station.

Five carriages slipped off the rails, with eight passengers slightly injured.

The initial investigation found that track damage may have resulted from the incident.

State Railway of Thailand (SRT) workers were returning the carriages to the tracks and repairing the damage in order to resume services as soon as possible. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-11-12

Just incredible the amount of these.....old track probably helped by termites - old equipment & by this time not enough specialized repair rigs (spread around the country).....

I use to love taking the train - it was a great way to slow down time with some great impromtu parties.....

I think I'm taking it off my list for awhile.....

SRT governor orders train derailment probe

BANGKOK: -- The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) governor Prapat Chongsa-nguan-late this morning order an investigation into the derailment of the Bangkok-Nong Khai diesel-powered passenger train in Udon Thani, injuring nine passengers, including the train driver.

He said that he has ordered railway mechanics and workers to lift the derailed bogies off the track and open the rail to traffic again as soon as possible as it obstructed train services to the northeastern provinces.

He said he ordered investigation because the scene was at the stretch which was currently under maintenance by contractor and the SRT’s engineering consultant firm and railway mechanics.

He said that the SRT is now repairing and maintaining several railway routes for safety reason.

He said initial report he received was that the accident was caused by unstable ground underneath the railway track.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/srt-governor-orders-train-derailment-probe/

-- Thai PBS 2013-11-12

thailand really needs high speed trains

how many accidents will happen than ?

None because they won't be built by the Thais. It's either the Chinese, Japanese or the Germans who will build it with the help of Thai workforce and the tracks will be brand new unlike the ones that are in place now!

• Like 1

Just incredible the amount of these.....old track probably helped by termites - old equipment & by this time not enough specialized repair rigs (spread around the country).....

I use to love taking the train - it was a great way to slow down time with some great impromtu parties.....

I think I'm taking it off my list for awhile.....

Went past this, this morning. They were replacing a section of track that crosses the road.....the same one they redid about three months ago. I think the "new" piece is what caused the accident. Poor workmanship methinks.

• Like 1

Considering that so many trains here are being used, as it's an affordable way for all to travel,there weren't that many accidents.

What about all the accidents and dead people in Chinese high speed trains, not forgetting the accident of an ICE in Germany, many years ago.

And so many other countries, where you'll never hear of such accidents?

Apparently, they'll have to renew most of their railways, but unfortunately won't built high speed trains in the near future, as this was the red shirt idea.

Let's hope that's past soon. Meant the red shirts, who're also responsible for their railway system.

Chinese tablet users on a Chinese high speed train doing 250 km/h from Bangkok to Chiang Mai would be a very scary one.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

Chinese tablet users on a Chinese high speed train doing 250 km/h from Bangkok to Chiang Mai would be a very scary one.

It would be a good second option for the Pattaya jumpers. See a bit of scenery flashing past in your final moments instead of 15 floors of boring apartment balconies.

• Like 2

All this does is serve to highlight how totally incapable and idiotic are the powers that be and that you simply can not trust any system here to be built, maintained or managed in an acceptable manner. The inmates truly run this institution.

I will have to look on a map but all the tracks were just put in this year from Korat north to Udon Thani with concrete ties. I believe the express train gets on that line from Bui Yai to Udon. I think the line from Udon to Nong Khai is new also.

So was the new plastic guard put on my motorbike exhaust pipe last week. But due to incompetent workmanship at the local Honda shop ... it fell off.

• Like 1

What's going on? I've never heard of any derailing in the 10 years I've been living here and now all of a sudden there's one after the other!!!

I think that perhaps years of neglect, poor management and weather may be factors. It's an unfortunate trifecta of abuse of and I've taken it off of my list of modes of travel here in the Kingdom.

• Like 1

I think that perhaps years of neglect, poor management and weather may be factors. It's an unfortunate trifecta of abuse of and I've taken it off of my list of modes of travel here in the Kingdom.

I hope you've taken "walking" off your list too. The pavements are Hell! You'll either break your neck tripping in a pothole or get decapitated by a low slung wire.

Edited by Fullstop
  • Like 2

thailand really needs high speed trains

how many accidents will happen than ?

None because they won't be built by the Thais. It's either the Chinese, Japanese or the Germans who will build it with the help of Thai workforce and the tracks will be brand new unlike the ones that are in place now!

You are correct. The Japanese will get the contract as they have been in Bangkok for two weeks showing a models. It will still take 7 to 10 years to complete any half decent, high speed train services throughout Thailand.

But remember Jingluk has already approved the box lunches that will be served .I can't wait.

In Isaan here I have to go to Khon Kaen to go anywhere, we do not even have a taxi in kalasin.

SRT governor orders train derailment probe

BANGKOK: -- The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) governor Prapat Chongsa-nguan-late this morning order an investigation into the derailment of the Bangkok-Nong Khai diesel-powered passenger train in Udon Thani, injuring nine passengers, including the train driver.

He said that he has ordered railway mechanics and workers to lift the derailed bogies off the track and open the rail to traffic again as soon as possible as it obstructed train services to the northeastern provinces.

He said he ordered investigation because the scene was at the stretch which was currently under maintenance by contractor and the SRT’s engineering consultant firm and railway mechanics.

He said that the SRT is now repairing and maintaining several railway routes for safety reason.

He said initial report he received was that the accident was caused by unstable ground underneath the railway track.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/srt-governor-orders-train-derailment-probe/

-- Thai PBS 2013-11-

what did he say?tongue.pnglaugh.png

"He said that the SRT is now repairing and maintaining several railway routes for safety reason."

Surely for safety reasons they should shut down whatever is still left working in the Thai railway system until they have a plan to rebuild it properly.